Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Immigration. No more Residence Certificates.

On 2/13/2023 at 5:18 PM, Tropicalevo said:

I changed the name on a m/b book last week by using copies of the passport and the work permit.

Work permit has always worked if you have an address in it.

My electronic BOI WP has not, and I don't have a blue book anymore. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Be happy for that, then your Thai driver's license in accepted in some countries abroad...:thumbsup:

You managed to do it much easier than I did for my Yellow House Book on Samui – it was like applyring for permanent residency, except I didn't need the language test and sing the national hymn (the staff at the tessa ban-office shall be happy that I didn't sing)...:whistling:

KhunPer. How long did it take you? Did you require two Thai people as rreferences?

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Be happy for that, then your Thai driver's license in accepted in some countries abroad...:thumbsup:

You managed to do it much easier than I did for my Yellow House Book on Samui – it was like applyring for permanent residency, except I didn't need the language test and sing the national hymn (the staff at the tessa ban-office shall be happy that I didn't sing)...:whistling:

I like it! Took me 4 years, however no effort or expense involved. Mrs spoke to Head of Customer Services, by chance, at a mobile blood donor session held in the hall of our Amphur (Town Hall). They already held all necessary details from our recent marriage registration but wouldn't copy them over for Yellow Book application. Head of Customer Services told them to do just that!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

KhunPer. How long did it take you? Did you require two Thai people as rreferences?

It seems to have changed and become more easy to get a Yellow House Book now, from what I understood in later posts.

I needed to have my passport's name-page translated to Thai by an approved translator – it was several A4 pages of which one was a photo copy of my passport, another the translation, and then additional 5-6 pages with the translator's qualifications and diploms with the correct authorized rubber stamps; and of course copy of his ID-card. It costed me 5,000 baht.

I needed to bring two witnesses that knew me well. At least one had to be a neighbour and one had to be government employed; could of course be a government employed neighbour. So I got my next door neighbour and the local poo yai ban – head of village, who was, and still is, an important person on Samui and counted as a "government employed" – to show up in the tessa ban-office.

I used my girlfriend as translator at the quite intensive interview about why I wished to settle in Thailand, my religion, and many other questions.

Later I could apply for a pink ID card, but by that time you needed to bring a recommendation letter also from the tessa ban-office.

Both Yellow House Book and pink ID-card have serve me well; worth the effort...????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a few days late last year when they already stopped issuing residents certificates at Immigration only to resume this service shortly after (its unclear if this was a communication issue or what happened). 

I have Thai ID and Yellow book but Motorbike and Car Dealers including agents who deal with paperwork will not accept it as they say Land Transport Office in Samui does not accept them for ownership transfers (they do accept workpermits).  I was positively surprised when they accepted the yellow book for the Driving Licence renewal and I wonder if this is yet another communication breakdown.  

Hopefully Immigration will resume issuance of resident certificates so people don't keep running around in cricles. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 9:04 PM, phetphet said:

I will go back in a couple of weeks and tell them I need one to open a bank account and see what they say. They at least can't tell me to go to the Transport Office. 

Hi phetphet

Did you go back and ask for a residence certificate for a bank account?

How did it go?

I have just tried to open a second bank account at SCB in Big C and they say 'need residence certificate from Maenam immigration'.

But, but, but I already have one account with you.........

'Maenam immigration!' ????

58 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Hi phetphet

Did you go back and ask for a residence certificate for a bank account?

How did it go?

I have just tried to open a second bank account at SCB in Big C and they say 'need residence certificate from Maenam immigration'.

But, but, but I already have one account with you.........

'Maenam immigration!' ????

I didn’t bother, as it was just for changing name on my old scooter to my girlfriend’s name.

But when I was at Maenam for my 90 day report last month, I saw someone pick up a residence certificate. So maybe they have started again.

Alternatively. You might want to try that other office in Choengmon. They can only say no.

Going from Choengmon up the hill to the post office, it’s  up the soi on the right literally before the 7-11

For Jomtien Immigration: Does a change of adress from my condo rented in my name to the new house (in the same province Chonburi) of my wife (who lives now at my condo) then work like this:

1. First must come the yellow book but for this you need a residence certificate. I hope this is available during the next 4 months at Jomtien, but what to show as proof of (new) residence ? Explanation of my wife ? Doubt that works.

2. Then you may file a TM47, showing the yellow book as evidence where you reside in the future

3. They will issue a new TM30 or is this then void once I have a yellow book

4. You may get your approval of stay for one year based on the TM30 then or is a yellow book enough then and you can forever forget the TM30.

I have an Thai Elite Visa.

Somehow I sense a circular procedure in this. To get the Yellow book you need proof of residence (a TM 30 then, but you cannot have a new one yet because you cannot show proof of your new resident adress. OK, this time I accept a "confused" as emoji (this remark is for the one who finds his pleasure to grant confused and sad emojis en masse lately)

If the yellow book does not need a residence cert, but only one or two witnesses (my lawyer for example) and maybe a marriage cert Kor Ror 22, the BLue Book of my wife and her present then all is OK. I have only the original marriage certificate from Switzerland and the Kor Ror 22 from the ampoe (old adress) of my wife which have served us well so far for nearly 20 years.

Edited by moogradod

On 2/13/2023 at 7:08 PM, proton said:

It's a free service, there is no official charge. I refused to pay and they still gave me one

You should keep your comment to yourself, last thing we need are more foreigners at immigration complaining about this and that. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You should keep your comment to yourself, last thing we need are more foreigners at immigration complaining about this and that. 

You do not have to complain, you just have to refuse to pay for a free service and not cave into greed and corruption, it's not difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

You do not have to complain, you just have to refuse to pay for a free service and not cave into greed and corruption, it's not difficult.

They don't willy nilly hand over these documents for free. 

Some foreigners living here in Thailand are born moaners and complainers. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

I didn’t bother, as it was just for changing name on my old scooter to my girlfriend’s name.

But when I was at Maenam for my 90 day report last month, I saw someone pick up a residence certificate. So maybe they have started again.

Alternatively. You might want to try that other office in Choengmon. They can only say no.

Going from Choengmon up the hill to the post office, it’s  up the soi on the right literally before the 7-11

Thanks phetphet. Yes, I know that one. We look after a house opposite there.

I was there yesterday. Buuggeerr

24 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
On 2/13/2023 at 8:03 PM, Banana7 said:

Always been 300 baht in Pattaya for a residence certificate.

Corrupt Thieves IMO

It's 300 baht for an official document, it's peanuts. 

What would you pay for an official document from your home country? 

Even if it was a free document, it's not a lot of money, probably goes in the pot for a Christmas / New year party for the staff that get paid a measly wage. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2023 at 3:21 PM, scubascuba3 said:

seller needs a residence certificate also

In Bangkok at least thats not true - Mileage may of course vary in different provinces. 

I’ve sold about 6 cars and 2 motorcycles over the years. 

No residence cert needed to sell.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Corrupt Thieves IMO

This is one of those situations where I’m (and many are) tolerant of the fee’s.

The British Embassy charges about 2500 baht for the same document (Affirmation of residence), so I know who the thieves are !!!!.... 

... paying 300 baht for a necessary necessary documents is not a big deal. 

The issue of course is the utter lack of consistences surrounding securing such a document... i.e...

- In some (most) areas the applicant must have submitted a previous 90 day report.

- In other areas, there is no requirement for a 90 day report. 

- In some areas it takes 2 weeks.

- In other areas the Certificate of Residence is issued on the spot, for a fee (prices 300 to 500 baht). 

- And now of course, in some area’s Immigration refusing to issue.

Trat Immigration stopped issuing COR for the Transport office, last year but have now rescinded and are issuing them again. according to my source, after getting so many complaints. :unsure:. before you could not pay an express fee, but my mate told me you can now pay a 'Fee'. life goes on in LOS.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's 300 baht for an official document, it's peanuts. 

What would you pay for an official document from your home country? 

The Danish embassy in Bangkok charge minimum one hour for everything, and one hour embassy-staff-work costs 5,460 baht or 1,125 Danish kroner...:whistling:

I don't mind paying a modest fee of 300 or 500 baht for a certificate – even it might officially be free – but of course I'm happy if I receive free service.

I'm hopefully going to be serviced at Samui Immigration for many more years and will prefers good service with a smile, because I'm one of them farangs never complaining about not getting a receipt or 100 baht change...????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Fully understand and fully agree but I hope you understand what the staff at the immigration office put up with day in day out. 

I've been visiting Thailand's immigration offices for decades and I've seen some horrible foreigners at times 

I've lived on the island permanently since 2006, so I've been a regular visitor at the immigration office a number of years, also the old office in Nathon and the so-called "Birdman", who was always fair, kind and polite to me...????

Edited by khunPer
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, khunPer said:

I've lived on the island permanently since 2006, so I've been a regular visitor at the immigration office a number of years, also the old office in Nathon and the so-called "Birdman", who was always fair, kind and polite to me...????

I've no complaints, I always get treated fairly.

I wish for kind and polite but to be fair, I'd very rarely get kind and polite from a government department office in Australia when visiting. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, Farma said:

Maybe a misunderstanding.

My upcountry immigration office requires an official request from a govt department or embassy to issue residence certs.

They told me to see land transport and get a residence cert request from them.

I took the request back to immigration and they printed off the free residence cert while I waited.

That's actually what happened when I requested a Residence Certificate at my SiSaKet Imm Office as I wanted to apply for a Thai drivers permit.  At Immigration they told me that they needed a Request Form from the DLT.  So I went to the DLT where they made a Request Letter for Immigration at no cost, and DLT only needed my Passport (to ensure my name would be taken over correctly).  With that Request Form I went back to Immigration where they provided me the Residence Certificate (also at no cost).  And then I returned to the DLT and had the plastified cards with Thai drivers permit (for car and motorbike) issued in less than 1 hour (including reaction/color test) > total cost - 360 THB.

Luckily the DLT and the Imm Office were less than 5 minutes drive from each other.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

"Birdman", who was always fair, kind and polite to me...

He was never fair, kind and polite to me.

My own fault I suppose. I refused to pay a bribe.

Back in 2001, I went to Nathon for my first ever retirement visa.

Got the paperwork, the money and all that I needed.

Our famous friend, took me into a store room. Sat me down on a box of A 4 paper and explained that I would need to pay him some money as a fee.

I stood up and went to leave.

He asked me where was I going? Did I not want the visa?

I explained that I did but that where I come from, what he was asking for was called a bribe and that would be against the law. So I would talk to a lawyer about the visa and apply through them.

The reply was - but I am much cheaper.

Yes, I said. But using the lawyer was legal.

After that, every 90 report, every extension etc etc, he made life as difficult as possible for me.

Visits to Nathon were a 'challenge' but I never gave him any money. After a couple of years, I started a business and got a work permit. Life was bliss after that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Trat Immigration stopped issuing COR for the Transport office, last year but have now rescinded and are issuing them again. according to my source, after getting so many complaints. :unsure:. before you could not pay an express fee, but my mate told me you can now pay a 'Fee'. life goes on in LOS.

I think this is an underlying with any civil office / police etc.. in Thailand...

They are paid to be there....   But, they expect ‘something extra’ to do what we considered their jobs.

This corruption and entitlement has slipped into ‘normalcy’....  its easy to write it off as ‘they don't earn much’ and its only a little bit... and that wouldn’t be wrong, its just different... 

So.. paying a little bit to ‘get the job done’ in this case is no big deal.

The issue is that this is the thin end of the wedge...  the same underlying ‘entitlement to graft’ flows down from the very top... 

That said - how hard would it be just t make everything consistent and attach a normal price to many things such as this CoR...  at least it would make them less reluctant to actually do it in the first place. 

Suspect thats why the Yellow Book is so difficult - its because its a lot of paper work and they don't get anything for it !!!!