Tourist visa extension now requires the applicants to provide written conformation from the resort they are staying at!

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

Everyone is saying that this is a problem with a TM30 notification not being done. However,

I have heard that Trang Immigration can be a little flaky, and I think this is an example of a rogue office. When offices start adding unusual requirements that are often difficult to comply with, I become suspicious about their motives.

Politely disagree.  OP also said in another post:

"So you telling me that if people move around and the address of their original stay has changed they have to approach the resort and ask them to go online & fill out a bunch or <deleted>. We have taken numerous people to get a tourist visa extension and never had this problem before. "

Pretty clear to me that OP doesn't know what a TM30 is or how it's submitted.

We'll never know since we weren't there but, as they say, based upon a preponderance of the evidence...

•  
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Seems like a complete misunderstanding of the rules on behalf of the OP.

The Immigration officer was trying to tell you that a TM30 is required for an extension - As with all extensions - Nothing new about this.

And actually telling them that was too difficult? Just another 'misunderstanding'. 

16 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Resorts and hotels know this already (for years), that is why they ask for passports on checking in.  They don't need to be "approached".  Nothing is new here.

What's new is they are putting the onus on the tourist. Tourists shouldn't have to worry about things like TM30's. It's none of their business. Extensions used to be automatic because Thailand wanted tourists to stay longer.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

How easy it is to extend a tourist visa, for Thai national, in the UK?

I think extensions here in Thailand are not that difficult or take a long time.

Just be prepared with the required docs and all will be fine.

Unfortunately with TM30 you are dependent on a third party supplying the required documentation if you want to extend. This is very wrong IMO.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 2

Is there a way to find your TM30 status without going to immigration?  For example, you go away and stay in a hotel, are you now registered at the hotel or your original address. Nice to know BEFORE going to immigration. 

Would section 38 tell you?

9 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Is there a way to find your TM30 status without going to immigration?  For example, you go away and stay in a hotel, are you now registered at the hotel or your original address. Nice to know BEFORE going to immigration. 

Would section 38 tell you?

I don't think there's a way. You can only look up who has been reported at the property you manage, but you cannot see if they have been reported elsewhere in the meantime.

14 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

My understanding is that all foreigners staying in Thailand must have a TM30, submitted by their host/landlord/hotel/guesthouse, or by themselves - done online, in person or by mail.  It's the TM6 entry card that was done away with.

It's a requirement that's not always enforced.  It's not a problem NOT to have one, unless you have business with immigration.

So, I visited our owned house in Loei for 2 months last fall.  I told Immigration where I was staying on the visa application and even had to have an invitation from my wife with a copy of her Thai ID card and the Tabien Ban.  And she still needed to report me?  (She didn't and to hell with it.) If the authorities had come by to see if I was staying there the whole time, I would have introduced them to my wife's pet bantam chickens. They took a liking to me after a couple months.  They knew I was there. 

I've lived in Thailand (in and out) since 2002 and have been doing Tourist Visa extension for over dozen of times. I know that Non-O visa, TM30 and confirmation from landlord is required for every extension. But i was never asked anything of sort regarding 30-Day Tourist Visa or Visa Exemption, i simply showed up at CW, took queue number, filled out necessary form, did a bit of photocopies for pasport front page and stamp page, wait until my number popup, submit every required docs, and pay up 1900 for an extra 2 weeks of stay. I'm not sure if Visa Exemption is allowed 30 days extension as i never tried it myself. 

For Non-O visa, now that will need resort/homeowner/landlord as guarantor or so i believed.

15 minutes ago, arfandy said:

since 2002 and have been doing Tourist Visa extension for over dozen of times. I know that Non-O visa, TM30 and confirmation from landlord is required for every extension. But i was never asked anything of sort regarding 30-Day Tourist Visa or Visa Exemption, i simply showed up at CW, took queue number, filled out necessary form, did a bit of photocopies for pasport front page and stamp page, wait until my number popup, submit every required docs, and pay up 1900 for an extra 2 weeks of stay. I'm not sure if Visa Exemption is allowed 30 days extension as i never tried it myself. 

Strange.

Since covid there have been so so many threads asking about requirements for extensions to tourist visa and visa exempt entries. 

Reports back overwhelmingly that TM30 is required for these extensions.

On the other hand they are not required for annual extensions from non O retirement.

I have done extensions for 10 years at CW. 

Same address have never moved.

I have NEVER even made one TM30 and   certainly never asked for one when obtaining annual extensions. 

As usual various immigration offices have their own rules of how they like to play the game. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Tubby Thankfully the days are over (since 2022) for me at least doing extensions like this.  I would guess in 20 years of extending SETV at Changwattana, my filed address per their system 99% of the time did not correspond to where I was staying (rental) IF the majority of guest houses had filed the TM30.  

I always maintain a rental place in Bangkok but travelled extensively around the country. I never had an issue.  I have many occasions stayed at GH where I know definitely they filed the tm30.  Some were owned by foreigners who would tell me the need to file the TM30 to avoid issues ETC and others were Thai people who said immigration were active in their area (tea money).

It could be the crackdown with regard to Chinese Triads or an IO enjoying her job too much.  Yesterday I was doing my first 90 day report and the khet (Bangkok area) has changed its sub-areas from Phayathai, samsen nai to Phayathai , Phayathai.  She spent 3 minutes telling me how important it was, suggesting I couldn't file the 90 day report, but I played along with her listened chilled and she filled.  

Edited by Finlaco

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

On the other hand they are not required for annual extensions from non O retirement.

Coz tourist visa and visa exempt have not been here 90 days whereas the fact that you have current 90 day report usually now is confirmation of TM30 filed, although you say never filed - you must have fallen through the cracks/been grandfathered.

Edited by mokwit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Coz tourist visa and visa exempt have not been here 90 days whereas the fact that you have current 90 day report now is confirmation of Tm30 filed. No?

For my first 7 years in Thailand with non O retirement and subsequent extensions I had never done a 90 day report due to frequent international travel.

Finally did my first ever after covid hit. 

Obviously I never provided a TM47 receipt to immigration prior to that.

Also to this day have never done a TM30 or needed to provide one to CW immigration. 

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, Tubby said:

Is this the way it is now? Tourists wanting extensions have to provide written paperwork from the resort they are staying at? Way to go immigration! 

Nothing new. I was told the same thing at Jomtien abut 20 years ago.

15 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

No problem, really.

You have your house registered with the Sec.38 application.

Your wife can do your daughter's TM30 on her cellphone during the 30 seconds it takes you to load your daughter's luggage in the trunk of your car at the airport.

We know HOW to do it thanks, you are missing my point entirely. Woosh. it is DRACONIAN.

13 hours ago, dcalaska said:

Thais claim to need, want tourism to boost the economy. The reality is they don't want foreigners on Thai soil. They make it very difficult, nearly impossible for the average person to comply with ridicules requirements. Why this is the case I will never understand. TIT.

You are having a laugh, the so called "racist" Thai government makes it very easy for foreigners to enter and remain in the country.

My wife has just applied for a UK tourist visa, for the 11th time, the application form is 16 pages long. As for remaining in the country, virtually impossible for most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A TM30 would not be required unless she has intention of obtaining an extension or dealing with immigration for any reason. 

But it is required init by LAW. Immigration could do a surprise home visit as she will have my address on her entry card. It's not a problem for us as there is an immigration office 15min away. I think it is an unnecessary waste of everybody's time. 

2 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

What's new is they are putting the onus on the tourist. Tourists shouldn't have to worry about things like TM30's. It's none of their business. Extensions used to be automatic because Thailand wanted tourists to stay longer.

There is nothing new and extensions have never been automatic. About 20 years ago I was asked to prove where I was staying for an extension.

About the same time on another I had to change my flight. Went to Bangkok and asked for a 3 day extension. She asked why, I explained and she said get it right next time. Gave me a 5 day extension.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

There is nothing new and extensions have never been automatic. About 20 years ago I was asked to prove where I was staying for an extension.

About the same time on another I had to change my flight. Went to Bangkok and asked for a 3 day extension. She asked why, I explained and she said get it right next time. Gave me a 5 day extension.

I was on several tourist visas after first coming to Thailand. Never asked to prove where I was staying or anything else. None of my friends who visit Thailand have ever been asked either the many times they've extended visas. So I would say your experience was not typical.

Oh, and I remember once when I was applying for an extension, the IO smiled and said, "Sure, how long would you like?" Of course, that was 15 years ago. Things have certainly changed.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

We know HOW to do it thanks, you are missing my point entirely. Woosh. it is DRACONIAN.

Of all the things to complain about in Thailand - the banks, the drivers, the police, the double charging, the ever-fluid extension of stay requirements - I really don't see how submitting a simple form when you - as a non-Thai - take up residence in Thailand.

The hotels and guesthouses are set up to batch process the TM-30 submissions every evening, with no effort on the part of the guest - other than asking for a copy if needed for immigration.

We've got the Sec.38 application on which any house/condo owner or renter can register as possessor, then submit their or their guests' TM-30's.  Takes all of a minute to file a report.

"Oh, the draconionanity!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

So, I visited our owned house in Loei for 2 months last fall.  I told Immigration where I was staying on the visa application and even had to have an invitation from my wife with a copy of her Thai ID card and the Tabien Ban.  And she still needed to report me?  (She didn't and to hell with it.) If the authorities had come by to see if I was staying there the whole time, I would have introduced them to my wife's pet bantam chickens. They took a liking to me after a couple months.  They knew I was there. 

Well, of course.  You move into a residence, you need to report it.

A visa application usually goes thru an embassy outside of Thailand, so immigration in Thailand may not necessarily be notified.

Regardless...........how many people who fill out those forms, like the former TM6, decide to change plans upon landing at the airport?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I am unable to download that - I thought it had been withdrawn for some reason - do you have a link?

A Google search comes up with this:

https://apkcombo.com/section38/th.go.immigration.section38

Section38 APP

Application provider of Immigration Bureau - According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national via Mobile Application

But might be better to go directly to Google Play for the download onto your cellphone.  You might need to set your cellphone location in Google Play to Thailand.

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:

When I was a young backpacker (a long time ago now) I would have found this extremely annoying. At that time, tourism was a voyage of exploration, and I often had no idea where I was going to sleep the following night. It seems Thailand now really only wants package tourists who book flights and hotels (and maybe a few tours) leaving after lazing on a beach for two weeks. Tourists who are genuinely interested in immersing themselves in the culture and exploring are no longer welcome.

Hippies never were welcome in LoS, and V2 being backpackers were their progeny....anyway whole thread looks like a storm in a teacup by a newb. unlike the new teacup "no over 50s Ed visas anymore" thread.

3 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

Hippies never were welcome in LoS, and V2 being backpackers were their progeny....anyway whole thread looks like a storm in a teacup by a newb. unlike the new teacup "no over 50s Ed visas anymore" thread.

The Thais never liked people who were dirty and/or dressed inappropriately. I always found the Thais very welcoming to young people who were respectful towards their culture, and genuinely interested in Thailand. I sometimes stayed in temples or village homes for free. (The village dogs were often not so tolerant, however!)

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The Thais never liked people who were dirty and/or dressed inappropriately. I always found the Thais very welcoming to young people who were respectful towards their culture, and genuinely interested in Thailand. I sometimes stayed in temples or village homes for free. (The village dogs were often not so tolerant, however!)

I'll have to leave my ass-less leather studded pants for after immigration arrivals at swampy then I guess.

1 minute ago, freedomnow said:

I'll have to leave my ass-less leather studded pants for after immigration arrivals at swampy then I guess.

You will be fine wearing them at the airport or in Patong or Pattaya. If you want to be well received, I would recommend you not dress like that in rural Loei or Phayao.

• Confused 1