Tourist visa extension now requires the applicants to provide written conformation from the resort they are staying at!

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You will be fine wearing them at the airport or in Patong or Pattaya. If you want to be well received, I would recommend you not dress like that in rural Loei or Phayao.

Clearly you have never seen ass-less leather studded pants.

Anyway, back on topic.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, Tubby said:

I did not say that did I!

So you telling me that if people move around and the address of their original stay has changed they have to approach the resort and ask them to go online & fill out a bunch or <deleted>. We have taken numerous people to get a tourist visa extension and never had this problem before. 

They've got loads of tourists coming in now ..they don't care ..a year ago they were crying in thier noodles no money ..no tourists ..no food..No Brains ..what a difference a year makes eh

1 hour ago, freedomnow said:

Clearly you have never seen ass-less leather studded pants.

I definitely have, but not (thankfully) in Thailand. However, in 2023, you can get away with dressing any way you like in tourist ghettos. It is not the 1980s any more.

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

I am unable to download that - I thought it had been withdrawn for some reason - do you have a link?

Not sure about google apps, but for iPhone the Apple ID has to be logged in as a Thailand account or it will not show up in a search for the Section 38 app.  To do this I had to create a new Apple ID and log in, then I logged out and back to my usual ID once I had downloaded the app.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 3:40 PM, marin said:

Do you always get upset so easily?

• So when you took them to immigration they were carrying the completed TM30 forms along with their screenshots from the hotel or resort?

Why do they have to leave?

Maybe they're lying, to get away from the OP. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Well, of course.  You move into a residence, you need to report it.

A visa application usually goes thru an embassy outside of Thailand, so immigration in Thailand may not necessarily be notified.

Regardless...........how many people who fill out those forms, like the former TM6, decide to change plans upon landing at the airport?

Yeah, how do I know where I'll be when relatives and friends drag us around to see the scenes?  If they want to know my exact whereabouts, why don't they supply an electronic tracking butt-plug? 

And I didn't "move into" a residence, I stayed at our house for about 45 days. Went to Vietnam for 10 days, then BKK at a relative's house for 5 days on the way out. Catch me if you can.

I think you have done well if this is the first issue facing an unhelpful staff. I have had a few problems whereby it seems staff find a high from causing a problem for friendly people that just want to fit into society fairly. I do expect there are those few that have still never had an issue. My attitude has changed. Nowadays more than ever I expect to have a problem and when I do I treat it as a problem/solution checklist, whereby at the end, if no solution exists I walk away politely thinking I did all that I could do and move to plan B then C which would be give up and return to my home country. So far, luckily plan B's have been successfully executed checklist style. At this time I would also like to say that also there are staff that are very helpful. Good luck all.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 7:58 PM, dcalaska said:

Thais claim to need, want tourism to boost the economy. The reality is they don't want foreigners on Thai soil. They make it very difficult, nearly impossible for the average person to comply with ridicules requirements. Why this is the case I will never understand. TIT.

Of course Thailand wants tourists. The problem is that the immigration offices and the tourism promotional offices work against each other. Bureaucrats don't normally know or care how to promote business, as they get their salaries no matter what.  

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Of course Thailand wants tourists. The problem is that the immigration offices and the tourism promotional offices work against each other. Bureaucrats don't normally know or care how to promote business, as they get their salaries no matter what.  

I would like to think so too. The amount of lovely Thai people I meet suggests falang are  welcome as always. There are the blatant "falang get out" chants that occur from high profiles that are of concern though. So far they are being ignored.

On 2/14/2023 at 7:56 AM, mokwit said:

Unfortunately with TM30 you are dependent on a third party supplying the required documentation if you want to extend.

Unfortunately, there are a lot more third parties you depend on just to get here.

If you have trouble getting the TM30, you might have chosen the wrong place to stay.

23 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

So, I visited our owned house in Loei for 2 months last fall.  I told Immigration where I was staying on the visa application and even had to have an invitation from my wife with a copy of her Thai ID card and the Tabien Ban.  And she still needed to report me?  (She didn't and to hell with it.) If the authorities had come by to see if I was staying there the whole time, I would have introduced them to my wife's pet bantam chickens. They took a liking to me after a couple months.  They knew I was there. 

The silkie bantams or just the normal looking midget ones?

20 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

So I would say your experience was not typical.

Difficult to say any experience is typical.

I started in 99 and have lived here since 2008, so a fair amount of experience.

Certainly things have changed like some embassies withdrawing income letters and the introduction of the E-visa.

IOs having a bad day is unlikely to change.

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Difficult to say any experience is typical.

I started in 99 and have lived here since 2008, so a fair amount of experience.

Certainly things have changed like some embassies withdrawing income letters and the introduction of the E-visa.

IOs having a bad day is unlikely to change.

Immigration used to be much friendlier. I think it took me about 20 minutes to get my non-O visa and I was the only one in the office -- which was a tiny office upstairs at Suan Plu.  They didn't ask for any  documents either, just the passport and the application. The anti-foreigner attitude began underThaksin when they launched that pseudo-war against so-called sex tourists.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Immigration used to be much friendlier. I think it took me about 20 minutes to get my non-O visa and I was the only one in the office -- which was a tiny office upstairs at Suan Plu.  They didn't ask for any  documents either, just the passport and the application. The anti-foreigner attitude began underThaksin when they launched that pseudo-war against so-called sex tourists.

"just the passport and the application." as you said before, not a typical experience.

In my early days I only used Pattaya and Bangkok which were far too busy to be friendly and from 2008 until 2014 lived here on a visa so never stepped inside immigration.

I have never noticed any anti-foreigner attitude, only a tendency to move the goal posts from time to time,  frustrating, but their world their rules.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

"just the passport and the application." as you said before, not a typical experience.

In my early days I only used Pattaya and Bangkok which were far too busy to be friendly and from 2008 until 2014 lived here on a visa so never stepped inside immigration.

I have never noticed any anti-foreigner attitude, only a tendency to move the goal posts from time to time,  frustrating, but their world their rules.

I guess you didn't notice Thaksin's efforts to shut down the entertainment areas aimed at foreigners in Bangkok. The first proposal was to limit the bars to 3 designated entertainment zones, which stirred up street protests on the part of the working girls. That proposal was dropped and then the financial requirement for retirement visas was doubled and visa regulations tightened.  Finally, Thaksin's interior minister  came out with a serious proposal to have all bars close at 10 p,m. His reasoning? Real tourists didn't go to the bars, they only went sight-seeing at the temples.

The presumption was that most of the long-term foreigners were sex fiends who needed to be suppressed.  The situation has only gotten worse since the military took over.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:54 AM, BritTim said:

When I was a young backpacker (a long time ago now) I would have found this extremely annoying. At that time, tourism was a voyage of exploration, and I often had no idea where I was going to sleep the following night. It seems Thailand now really only wants package tourists who book flights and hotels (and maybe a few tours) leaving after lazing on a beach for two weeks. Tourists who are genuinely interested in immersing themselves in the culture and exploring are no longer welcome.

I have a buddy who traveled extensively years ago.  He didn't know where he was going to stay or even exactly where he was going. There were times when there was no hotel, so he'd sleep on the floor in a Wat.  He then wrote the original Lonely Planet Thailand guidebook and several more editions.

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I have a buddy who traveled extensively years ago.  He didn't know where he was going to stay or even exactly where he was going. There were times when there was no hotel, so he'd sleep on the floor in a Wat.  He then wrote the original Lonely Planet Thailand guidebook and several more editions.

That would be Tony? 

14 hours ago, blacksuitdandruff said:

Anyone know if hostels (mutli bed rooms) in bkk do the tm30 online?  If not, will probably need to check in to a real hotel on the day or 1 day before of the extension office visit?

Thanks

By law, they are supposed to, and most do. Ask them before booking/checking in.

On 2/13/2023 at 12:05 AM, Olmate said:

See screen shot Pattaya Mail today

Screenshot_20230213-150305.jpg

According to this the landlord can be cut out of the loop. All one needs to do is fill in a form and provide a receipt or lease. Is that correct?

The poster may want to show up with those things and see what happens, the agent may have only given one option because they were rushed.

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

According to this the landlord can be cut out of the loop. All one needs to do is fill in a form and provide a receipt or lease. Is that correct?

The poster may want to show up with those things and see what happens, the agent may have only given one option because they were rushed.

Off you go! lets know how it went.

failure to comply with TM30 notification or any delayed notification will be subject to a fine of not exceeding THB 2,000 if the violator is a property owner, or a fine between THB 2,000 and THB 10,000 if the violator is a hotel manager.

it is the responsibility of the property owner. If however, your property owner has not filed the TM. 30, it becomes your responsibility as the “Possessor Of The Residence”.

Edited by JimTripper