More than 4,800 victims of sexual abuse uncovered in Portugal's Catholic Church

Social Media

An independent commission looking into the sexual abuse of minors in the Catholic Church said on Tuesday it had documented cases pointing to at least 4,815 victims.

Set up by the Portuguese Episcopal Conference to examine abuse in recent decades, the commission added this was the tip of the iceberg.

Presenting the report, the commission's president, child psychiatrist Pedro Strecht, described its objective as "giving voice to the silence" of victims.

He paid tribute to the hundreds who contacted its staff to provide testimony.

"They have a voice; they have a name," he said.

In all, the commission documented 564 experiences of people who said they had been victims of abuse by priests or other Church officials. The exercise looked at cases dating back to 1950.

This is just the number of minors. I could reasonably assume the number of adults that celibate priests have corrupted is several times that amount.

Even fining the Church wont help when it is so stinking rich. 

On 2/14/2023 at 7:20 AM, Black Ops said:

An independent commission looking into the sexual abuse of minors in the Catholic Church said on Tuesday it had documented cases pointing to at least 4,815 victims.

Those naughty shirt lifting clergy at it again.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Catholic, Bouddhist, Islam. or whatever religion, they are ALL filthy to the core.
There is no other solution as to inform the people what their rights are and punish the perpetrators without any restriction.

Yes but at least with Catholicism you only have to say 3 hail mary's and alls forgiven.   Thats why the mafia and politicians (the other mafia) are often catholic!

I was taught by Christian Brothers and nuns and while no-one actually touched me I heard and witnessed some very strange behaviour.  My sister was a border with nuns who forced girls to sleep without blankets, even in dead of winter, if caught with their hands under the sheets.  Mustnt be tempted to touch yourself!  Talk about sickos!

• Like 1