stamp transfer to new PP still possible at airport?

Hello all, does anyone know whether it is still possible to get a visa extension stamp (from a 45 day on arrival) transferred from an old UK passport to a new one at Suvarnabhumi or DMK when flying out. As much as I adore trips to CW, I would prefer to just deal with it at the airport when I'm due to fly out, if possible. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by stephen tracy
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Are you talking about a Re-Entry Permit perhaps?

Why would you transfer a 45 day stamp to a new passport at the Airport when flying out?

Just as an alternative to having to go up to CW to do it. I've heard of people who instead of going to CW have gone to the airport with both old and new PPs and the IOs have done the transfer there quite quickly before the scheduled flight

13 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Just as an alternative to having to go up to CW to do it. I've heard of people who instead of going to CW have gone to the airport with both old and new PPs and the IOs have done the transfer there quite quickly before the scheduled flight

Understood.

But again the question, why would you transfer a 45 day stamp to a new passport?  If it was a Year Visa / Extension I could understand it, but a 45 day visa on arrival?

Out of curiosity, how many days will you have left on that 45 Day VOA when flying out?

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

Understood.

But again the question, why would you transfer a 45 day stamp to a new passport?  If it was a Year Visa / Extension I could understand it, but a 45 day visa on arrival?

Out of curiosity, how many days will you have left on that 45 Day VOA when flying out?

ooops, sorry, it's actually the 30 day extension I need to transfer

20 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

ooops, sorry, it's actually the 30 day extension I need to transfer

For whatever reason? Just leave it in your old passport.

If you are on a year extension / have a NON-O Multiple Entry visa then yes by all means transfer it, but a 30 day extension?

When you leave Thailand those 30 days extension (the days left) will be gone. I have no idea if a Re-Entry permit even will cover those.

Edit: Just carry 2 passports when coming back if IO wants to see the last 30 day extension. I carried 2 passports with me for approx 7 months when living in Cambodia, Cambodian 1 year visa was in OLD passport, but they stamped me in / out in my new passport

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MJCM said:

If you are on a year extension / have a NON-O Multiple Entry visa then yes by all means transfer it, but a 30 day extension?

When you leave Thailand those 30 days extension (the days left) will be gone. I have no idea if a Re-Entry permit even will cover those.

Edit: Just carry 2 passports when coming back if IO wants to see the last 30 day extension. I carried 2 passports with me for approx 7 months when living in Cambodia, Cambodian 1 year visa was in OLD passport, but they stamped me in / out in my new passport

Visa is no problem in old invalid passport - current permitted to stay must be in current valid passport.  He appears to be exiting Thailand and needs to prove legally here (which requires valid stamp in passport being used to exit I suspect).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Oh ok, I was under the impression that any stamps in the old passport would be considered null and void after the new one was issued. This is why I understood that people go to immigration offices to have their stamps transferred from old to new passports before flying anywhere. So, what you're saying in a nutshell is I have no reason to so any of that, just show up at the airport with both old and new passports and and they will be ok with that? And coming back in, same thing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Visa is no problem in old invalid passport - current permitted to stay must be in current valid passport.  He appears to be exiting Thailand and needs to prove legally here (which requires valid stamp in passport being used to exit I suspect).

Yes, this is what I thought, and I've seen some threads on this site discussing it, with most saying they have gone to their local IO and got it done and some who have just had it done at the airport before flying

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Ooh wow. So showing OLD passport and NEW Passport when leaving the country won't do in that case? Weird.

TiT at it's best again

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Ooh wow. So showing OLD passport and NEW Passport when leaving the country won't do in that case? Weird.

TiT at it's best again

I think it will do but I think they take you to a different booth to transfer the extension stamp, and then you can go through to departures, but I've only heard of people doing at Suvarnibum or DM, never done it myself. 

I personally would be a lot happier if I did this before flying out at a local Immigration Office.

For example a Re-Entry, yes it's possible at the Airport, but whatif the queues at the Airport are as long as a couple of months ago you would be rushing to get your plane only without the time of be able to do any thing extra.

Of course it's up 2 you.

PS: This is just my 2 cents and what I would do.

Best of Luck and do post your experiences whatever you do.

:wai:

• Thumbs Up 1

No problem to do the transfer at Suvarnabhumi Airport as a tourist on visa exempt.

You queue up as per normal, they'll send you to a special desk where you're stamped out in your new passport while some stamps from your old passport are transferred to your new passport for reference. They also link your passports in their system.

If you get your new passport before you extend your visa exempt entry at immigration, you need to do the transfer there and then, as they won't put an extension stamp in an invalidated passport. 

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

No problem to do the transfer at Suvarnabhumi Airport as a tourist on visa exempt.

You queue up as per normal, they'll send you to a special desk where you're stamped out in your new passport while some stamps from your old passport are transferred to your new passport for reference. They also link your passports in their system.

If you get your new passport before you extend your visa exempt entry at immigration, you need to do the transfer there and then, as they won't put an extension stamp in an invalidated passport. 

Thanks! That's what I'd hoped. I guess it's the same at Don Mueang too? That's where I'm flying out of.

On one occasion, a few years ago, I did both basic stamp transfer, with suitable annotations in the new passport, and a re-entry permit (for permission to stay from a retirement extension) at Suvarnabumi when flying out. Unlike just a re-entry permit, this did take a bit of time (over 30 minutes) so that should be allowed for. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Thanks! That's what I'd hoped. I guess it's the same at Don Mueang too? That's where I'm flying out of.

Never done it at Don Mueang Airport myself, but chances are it's the same there. Hopefully someone with actual experience can weigh in.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Oh ok, I was under the impression that any stamps in the old passport would be considered null and void after the new one was issued.

Only null and void on the expiry of old passport

They do not know when you received your new passport. 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thanks 1

Done it several times at land borders, but not recently. Took a few minutes. Used to be free of charge and only required old and new passports. The last 2 times was charged a fee (can't remember how much, maybe 200 Baht) and they require a letter from your embassy that certifies the transfer. That letter too used to be free, last time 1000 Baht. Done it once at Manila Airport where it was super fast and totally free of charge. No transfers of visa, just stamp you out in the new passport. That's how it should be done, but bureaucracies have a tendency to expand and complicate totally unnecessary BS. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Done it several times at land borders, but not recently. Took a few minutes. Used to be free of charge and only required old and new passports. The last 2 times was charged a fee (can't remember how much, maybe 200 Baht) and they require a letter from your embassy that certifies the transfer. That letter too used to be free, last time 1000 Baht. Done it once at Manila Airport where it was super fast and totally free of charge. No transfers of visa, just stamp you out in the new passport. That's how it should be done, but bureaucracies have a tendency to expand and complicate totally unnecessary BS. 

Thanks! Yep, VFS gave me the embassy letter when I picked up the new one. Hopefully it wont cost much, if anything, and I will post my experience for future reference. Going on Sunday from DMK to Vientiane and then straight back again. 

On 2/14/2023 at 2:39 AM, MJCM said:

I have no idea if a Re-Entry permit even will cover those.

A re-entry permit preserve your "permitted to stay" date. It does not depend on the type of visa or extension. I have got reentry permits on Tourist visa and also on extension based on Tourist visa to avoid IO hassle for visa exempt entry only after a few days outside Thailand. It costed me 1000 baht but it is a peace of mind. 

Edited by Xanthe
  • Like 1