ANA and Haneda (HND) Airport

sqwakvfr

I am writing this inside of Terminal 3 at HND.  For anyone considering flying with ANA(All Nippon Airways) for future international travel I would consider other options.

1.  The airfare from BKK to LAX and back was really low.  Now I know why the entire tripe was only $765. I booked it back in October 2022.

2.  The B777-300ER(from HND to LAX) was really old and in economy there were 10 seats jammed in the cabin.  I am 145 pounds and the seat felt tight.

3.   The food was very disappointing.  The portions were small, the quality was like American High School cafeteria food.  Getting a second beer took a long time(maybe the airline wanted to limit the consumption of alcohol.)

4.   For the return 12 hour flight from LAX to HND only one alleged meal was served.  The first serving was a box that contained a mystery meat sandwich, a banana and a cookie.  The actual meal was 9 hours later and it was a single shrimp tempura over rice, some noodles, 4 pieces of small fruit and water.  At that time no more alcohol, only Pepsi or Diet Pepsi.  After the service I had the worst coffee I have had in a long time.  Truly disappointing because I had a good experience with ANA in the past.

5. Haneda is not connection friendly airport unless you want to shop at Hermes.  At 0700 most the food venders were closed.  Also, most of the food venders only served Japanese Food.  Could not find a place to just to get some eggs, toast and coffee.  Really never liked having udon soup for breakfast. 

6. HND Terminal 3 did not have a convenience store like a 7-11. So in order to buy water I had to use a vending machine. The Vending machines only took Yen and my American Credit Cards did not work and even my Bangkok Bank Debit Card did not work.  Had to exchange some dollars for yen to just to get some water and a cookie.

Next time I will pay more an go with Singapore or Korean.  

I actually enjoyed ANA and flew with them to US on every occasion. Over both Haneda and Narita. Alas, this was pre-COVID. At that time I was truly disappointed when code-sharing meant that my ANA ended up being a filthy United plane.

Unless they've changed something, I never had issue with their seats nor foods. But complaining that you are only offered Japanese food in Japan is a bit much, don't you think? While Bangkok to Tokyo flights were mostly B777, Tokyo to SFO/LAX were always B787 in my case. And they always had a large selection of non-alcoholic drinks available, whether they had any alcohol I don't know but I do know on United, any alcohol drinks were chargeable (bloke next to me paid for his beer).

There are more than just Hermes shops in Haneda. Actually it feels like being in a shopping mall. I like Haneda for that. What I don't like them for is that on return, in that low floor corner where you wait for Bangkok flight, there's no Wifi signal. Other than that, I've always enjoyed that flight (and airport)... except of course that it was darn long flight and I was dead tired by the time I got home.

Yeah, generally happy with ANA.   For a relatively minor amount of miles you can upgrade to premium economy which on ANA means lounge access without the hefty J class price tag.   With SQ and KE, which are both pretty good of course, there is no access for poor people business class (without being in an elite mileage tier).  ????

11 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Another consumer who wants more than he/she is willing to pay for... entitled much?

No.  Just pointing out some differences from my past experience.  Very disappointing.  Also, on ANA mask on unless one is eating or drinking.  Flew with SIA Sep 2022 and masks were optional.  This time ANA felt like a low budget carrier.  The $765 fare was advertised as a “Super Sale for Japan” as the pandemic was winding down last fall. Been flying with Singapore and Korean for years and this experience has made me realize how good these two airlines actually are and there are worth the higher fares they usually charge.  

If this still makes me sound “entitled” then I would not disagree with you.

10 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I actually enjoyed ANA and flew with them to US on every occasion. Over both Haneda and Narita. Alas, this was pre-COVID. At that time I was truly disappointed when code-sharing meant that my ANA ended up being a filthy United plane.

Unless they've changed something, I never had issue with their seats nor foods. But complaining that you are only offered Japanese food in Japan is a bit much, don't you think? While Bangkok to Tokyo flights were mostly B777, Tokyo to SFO/LAX were always B787 in my case. And they always had a large selection of non-alcoholic drinks available, whether they had any alcohol I don't know but I do know on United, any alcohol drinks were chargeable (bloke next to me paid for his beer).

There are more than just Hermes shops in Haneda. Actually it feels like being in a shopping mall. I like Haneda for that. What I don't like them for is that on return, in that low floor corner where you wait for Bangkok flight, there's no Wifi signal. Other than that, I've always enjoyed that flight (and airport)... except of course that it was darn long flight and I was dead tired by the time I got home.

Actually I could not find a seat down restaurant inside Terminal 3 at Haneda.  There was a lack of variety.  Ironically the international departure terminal at LAX was better than Haneda Terminal. 3  I thought I would never say anything good about LAX.  The terminals at Changi, Incheon and even Narita have variety and 7-11’s.  I did not find these things at Haneda’s terminal 3.  I will be back at either Changi or Incheon for my next trip.  

• Like 1

Just a heads up for anyone planning on an international trip out of BKK and returning in the near future.  It was in a word a “Zoo” when I returned today.  The two halls were open for immigration arrival. It was elbow to elbow but surprisingly things were efficient and it took an hour to get through. My luggage was waiting at the carousel and the entry process took about 75 minutes.  

• Sad 1