Marriage visa

Hi.

I am about to get everything in order to travel to Thailand from NZ on a tourist visa for marriage purposes. Have lived there with Thai GF, previously, for ten years, so please, no well meant advise about that. I see that i need, with my application for visa, a round trip ticket which I will not be using in the near future. So, I would like to ask the best way to do this. Thinking a forwarding booking to the cheapest country even though I may lose the cost, would this be acceptable? Any advice about this and anything else that may help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

9 hours ago, easygoin said:

I am about to get everything in order to travel to Thailand from NZ on a tourist visa for marriage purposes...

In your case, I would state "tourism" as the purpose of my trip to Thailand on the visa application form.

9 hours ago, easygoin said:

. I see that i need, with my application for visa, a round trip ticket which I will not be using in the near future.

Not sure why you are bothering with a tourist visa when seems that your trip is soon.

Visa exempt entry until end of March provides 45 day stamp that can be extended by 30 days.

As for onward flight you can look at cheapest throw away ticket or rent a ticket or rent an onward flight if you decide to enter visa exempt. 

Apart from getting married you require a Thai bank account in your name only to obtain a non O marriage in Thailand. Do you have that? 

• Like 1

Yes,I have everything required. I am doing this through an immigration service and they say I need a tourist visa and then convert once I am there. Think I remember doing the same years ago for retirement visa so thought nothing of it. Will check further. Will look for cheap onward ticket.

Thank you for your reply.

• Haha 1

I was talking/trying to answer/help a guy about his marriage visa. He said he could not get the normal visa (800,000) because he obtained his OA from his own country and in Thai they had written taking care of his wife? I have no experience of the marriage visa, if anybody knows exactly what is required would appreciate it. Apologies for me butting in on someone else's thread

Edited by Expat68

8 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

I was talking/trying to answer/help a guy about his marriage visa. He said he could not get the normal visa (800,000) because he obtained his OA from his own country and in Thai they had written taking care of his wife? I have no experience of the marriage visa, if anybody knows exactly what is required would appreciate it. Apologies for me butting in on someone else's thread

You need to clarify what your friend actually has.

If it's a VALID non O-A visa (not expired).

Is he currently in Thailand? 

When is expiry of his non O-A?

Not expiry of his current permission of stay. 

6 hours ago, easygoin said:

. I am doing this through an immigration service and they say I need a tourist visa and then convert once I am there.

The visa company is wrong.

You can obtain a non O based on marriage or retirement inside Thailand from a tourist visa OR visa exempt entry.

When do you plan to come to Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

By "normal visa'' do you mean retirement ? Discounting the visa he already has, 400,000 is the amount needed in a Thai bank for 2 months before applying for a Marriage EXTENSION.

Am coming mid May. Reading agents email again she says best to get a 60 day tourist visa and extend that as we do not have a date set for marriage and at least 21 days is needed left on entry visa to convert. Have contacted them and told them your suggestion and if they agree. Cant see much difference and would be much easier. Is weekend now so wont hear until Monday. Will let you know what they say.

Appreciate the advice, thank you.

6 minutes ago, easygoin said:

Am coming mid May

The 45 day stamp for visa exempt entry is due to end March 31.

So indeed a tourist visa would be best.

So you can obtain a 30 day extension to your tourist visa entry.

Once married you can obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife.

21 days. Are you obtaining the non O in CM? 

You have your bases covered.

Best of luck. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 hours ago, easygoin said:

Yes,I have everything required. I am doing this through an immigration service and they say I need a tourist visa and then convert once I am there. Think I remember doing the same years ago for retirement visa so thought nothing of it. Will check further. Will look for cheap onward ticket.

Thank you for your reply.

you need to be married to apply for a non imm 'O' visa, so enter on a visa exempt, obtain a 30 day extension, if required to get 400,000thbin bank account in Thailand in your name only, get married, then convert visa exempt to non imm 'O' visa 2,200thb, no need for a tourist visa, but will need a throwaway flight out to allow boarding of a one way ticket.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to clarify what your friend actually has.

If it's a VALID non O-A visa (not expired).

Is he currently in Thailand? 

When is expiry of his non O-A?

Not expiry of his current permission of stay. 

Valid non O-A

Currently in Thailand 

Non O-A runs out first week in May

Has a return flight booked end of April

Has 800,000 in Thai bank from 13th February 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

By "normal visa'' do you mean retirement ? Discounting the visa he already has, 400,000 is the amount needed in a Thai bank for 2 months before applying for a Marriage EXTENSION.

Yes to both questions, see my answers to Dr. Jack

2 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Valid non O-A

Currently in Thailand 

Non O-A runs out first week in May

Has a return flight booked end of April

Has 800,000 in Thai bank from 13th February 

You need to understand that a non O-A visa is valid for one year.

Every entry from a valid non O-A gives a 12 month stamp. 

At some point folk that had a non O-A will then obtain annual 12 month extensions from the non O-A. 

These extensions can be based on retirement or marriage (if married to a Thai) 

For extensions based on retirement you must obtain insurance every year. 

Hence many folk kill off the non O-A and obtain a non O as the non O retirement and subsequent extensions do not require insurance.

However there is a sweetener for married guys. 

They can obtain extensions from a non O-A based on marriage WITHOUT the need for insurance and also much easier financials. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You need to understand that a non O-A visa is valid for one year.

Every entry from a valid non O-A gives a 12 month stamp. 

At some point folk that had a non O-A will then obtain annual 12 month extensions from the non O-A. 

These extensions can be based on retirement or marriage (if married to a Thai) 

For extensions based on retirement you must obtain insurance every year. 

Hence many folk kill off the non O-A and obtain a non O as the non O retirement and subsequent extensions do not require insurance.

However there is a sweetener for married guys. 

They can obtain extensions from a non O-A based on marriage WITHOUT the need for insurance and also much easier financials. 

Can you obtain information from immigration website what is exactly required to present to immigration for marriage extension? I have heard you need photos of the house and a map of where the house is

5 hours ago, Expat68 said:

In my opinion its quite ignorant to jump on someone elses thread. It not only deflects from the question the OP asks but confuses everyone as they dont know who the OP is. Open your own topic to get better focused replies

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Balance said:

Are you already married, and if so where did this take place?

He has stated in this thread he is not yet married and does not have a date. Hence wanting to get 60 days on a tourist visa.