What paperwork will immigration need to do a 60 day extension based on marriage?

What paperwork will immigration need to do a 60 day extension based on marriage?

I used to do my marriage extensions in April but somehow (for what ever reasons) that has crept back to the first week in March.  What would I need to get a 60 day extension of stay.  I'd rather do the annual extension in April or May.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

According to @Huckfi in that thread, though, one of the docs he was required to produce was a

• Wife's family name change certificate copy

What on earth is a family name change certificate? Never heard of one of these before! Is it a requirement peculiar to CW?

Interested in this thread because I'm thinking of following in the OP's footsteps at my local office (Rayong).

EDIT: According to Peter Denis on the 2020 thread a family name change certificate is, indeed, needed if your wife changed her surname to yours following your marriage to her, as mine did! So another piece of paper to have to chase round for just for a 60-day extension, then, by the look of things. ????

Edited by OJAS

55 minutes ago, OJAS said:

According to Peter Denis on the 2020 thread a family name change certificate is, indeed, needed if your wife changed her surname to yours following your marriage to her, as mine did!

I recall that and note Peter was always right on the money 

Have seen it mentioned few times.

Something you would certainly need to take care off. 

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Have had quite a few 60 day extensions pre covid end never had to produce a name change certificate copy. Not even for a 1 year extension.

Covid extensions had nothing to do with marriage.

One year extension based on marriage? 

Did your Thai wife do a name change (surname)? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Covid extensions had nothing to do with marriage.

One year extension based on marriage? 

Did your Thai wife do a name change (surname)? 

Not covid extension, but 60 day extension based on marriage. Yes, she changed her last name.

Also my wife never had to show up at CW immigration for a 60 day extension.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I recall that and note Peter was always right on the money 

Have seen it mentioned few times.

Something you would certainly need to take care off. 

So looks like I can kiss goodbye to any chance of obtaining a one-off 60-day extension then since my wife never obtained a family name change certificate following our marriage in 2009. That didn't prove any bar to her subsequently getting her blue housebook updated and a fresh ID card issued, though.

@Huckfi - if you are reading this thread, could you please attach a scan of the family name change certificate your wife obtained (with personal info redacted, of course) and let me know how she went about obtaining it and from where?

@ubonjoe - would also appreciate your comments on the need for a family name change certificate in support of an application for a 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting your wife.

10 hours ago, Celsius said:

Why is this certificate needed when obviously an ID card would contain the changed last name.

The only answer to your question I can think of is that Immigration are hell-bent on making the 60-day wife visit extension as difficult as is humanly possible to apply for and, preferably from their point of view, completely impossible to obtain in practice!

That said, though, I do wonder whether we might be talking about some uniquely rogue CW requirement here. I'll be going to my local immigration office (Rayong) next week to obtain a re-entry permit and submit a 90-day report in any event, so also plan to take the opportunity of clarifying their requirements for a 60-day wife visit extension application.

@connda - you would also IMHO be strongly advised to check your local office's specific requirements for a 60-day wife visit extension application. What goes at CW may not necessarily go there!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

When I got married, my wife changed her last name to mine. I've never had a 60 day extension but I've done a 1 year extension based on marriage three times and have never been asked for a change-of-name certificate.

Yep. Done both 60 day and 1 year extensions at CW. Never been asked for this, so I wonder if this is some new requirement or is someone confused. This link mentions no such certificate to be required

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

Edited by Celsius

On 2/20/2023 at 8:34 AM, Celsius said:

Yep. Done both 60 day and 1 year extensions at CW. Never been asked for this, so I wonder if this is some new requirement or is someone confused.

When did you obtain your 60-day wife visit extension at CW? Before or since 1 September 2020 when @Huckfi obtained his there according to the earlier thread?

Edited by OJAS

Did a 60-day extension 'wife-visit' on January 30th, but because I entered on visa exempt - (extended in Pattaya whilst I was there at the time) - I had to go to the IT building Laksi instead of CW.

My wife changed her name to mine, but the change of name document wasn't asked for at Laksi immigration office - (I had it ready to show if they had asked....)

21 minutes ago, OJAS said:

When did you obtain your 60-day wife visit extension at CW? Before or since 1 September 2020 when @Huckfi obtained his there according to the earlier thread?

Most likely before.

But I did 2 1 year extensions since then and my wife wasn't asked for this document.

And since we are already on this topic can someone confirm that wife doesn't have to be present for 60 day extension at CW.  I did all the previous 60 day extensions by myself with no wife present. 

I just want to confirm if this is something new.

Edited by Celsius

17 hours ago, Celsius said:

Most likely before.

But I did 2 1 year extensions since then and my wife wasn't asked for this document.

And since we are already on this topic can someone confirm that wife doesn't have to be present for 60 day extension at CW.  I did all the previous 60 day extensions by myself with no wife present. 

I just want to confirm if this is something new.

Thanks. In the light of your comments it does, indeed, look like it has been a new requirement at CW since Sept 2020 - although, in the light of @raysunshineray's comments, one which has not been applied there consistently (no big surprise, of course)!

Can't answer your query about the need for your wife's presence, I'm afraid, since CW aren't my local office.

Edited by OJAS

17 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Did a 60-day extension 'wife-visit' on January 30th, but because I entered on visa exempt - (extended in Pattaya whilst I was there at the time) - I had to go to the IT building Laksi instead of CW.

My wife changed her name to mine, but the change of name document wasn't asked for at Laksi immigration office - (I had it ready to show if they had asked....)

From where did you/your wife obtain the change of name document? At the amphur/khet where you got married? Also, would it be possible, please, for you to attach a scan with personal details redacted, of course, since Google searches I've attempted to make for a specimen have all drawn blanks (presumably this doc is only in Thai)? Happy for you to send me a PM if you would prefer.

I just did this last week in Nakon Phanom... We should up with all the regular visa extension paperwork thinking I would get a 45 day extension. They asked if I wanted a 60 day because I was married, we also had all documentation showing we were married, marriage license/certificate etc. We lacked the "Marriage Certificate Form" which was something different from what we got at the govt office showing we were married etc. They sent us to a service that provided it located inside of a Big C.... not sure what the office was called. My wife did it all while I waled around the store. It went very quickly and the cost was 10 baht. With the additional paperwork in hand we went back to the immigration office and it was all said and done in a matter of minutes... hopes that helps

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

From where did you/your wife obtain the change of name document? At the amphur/khet where you got married?

Yes they come from the Amphur office. They are the same size as the Marriage cert. but Buff colured  oops posted twice, full colour not showing 'coz its laminated.

IMG_20221115_145159.jpg

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes they come from the Amphur office. They are the same size as the Marriage cert. but Buff colured  oops posted twice, full colour not showing 'coz its laminated.

IMG_20221115_145159.jpg

Many thanks. Based on your partial image I think that I have now succeeded in coming across a full-page image - albeit slightly fuzzy - of what I believe is officially called the Chor3 certificate following some further Googling. See attachment.

My wife and I were certainly given nothing like this when we got married here in 2009 - and I hope that there will be no bars to obtaining one retrospectively 14 years later. There is presumably no need for a certified English translation?

marriage-certificate-article-surname-change-registration-certificate-chor3.jpg

Edited by OJAS