Blood pressure medication in Bangkok?

BillStrangeOgre

Hi, i'm on prescription blood pressure medication, prescribed by my doctor in the UK. I've run out and need some more. I don't want to pay for a consultation with a doctor to get another prescription, i know what i need. Is there somewhere i can buy it over the counter without a prescription here in Bangkok? 

Thanks

6 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

It's just regular blood pressure medication, Amlodipine

Accessible prescription free at any pharmacy - 30 baht for 10x 5mg  average

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

It's just regular blood pressure medication, Amlodipine

How can we know that it’s just a common one? 

If you need advice then give all the info that is needed for people to give advice

just my 2 cts. 

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Can i buy it at any pharmacy? Thanks

Yes...Amlopine is very cheap....I buy it here in Bangkok.   10mg tablets cost less than 1 baht a piece.  I got five 10 pack 10mg (50 tablets) for Bt135 just last month.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

5 or 10 mg available all over as I take them on a regular basis.... mine is 1 x day 10 mg and a stripe of 10 pills is 30 baht

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes...Amlopine is very cheap....I buy it here in Bangkok.   10mg tablets cost less than 1 baht a piece.  I got five 10 pack 10mg (50 tablets) for Bt135 just last month.

13 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Back to school for you!

LOL...yea, I see what you mean.  Make that less than Bt3 a tablet vs Bt1. 

Edit: Here's  a snapshot from a receipt where I very recently bought some....Bt133 for fifty 10mg tablets.

image.png.34882604a03e2d5d99687b0aba89b907.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have been using THAI MILITARY hospitals for 9+ years. Most military dotcors are US or UK trained.  My latest prescriptions ( 4 months 1@2x daily and 1@1xs daily ) and including Doctors visit and lab work was 1,200THB.

In the US, 1 MONTHLY prescription with co-pay was $29.00US.  When it comes to health, why not visit a MILITARY hospitals .. clinic ..for a checkup.

HINT: you have to register 1st and get a (( FREE )) hospital ID card, passport needed  You pay the same price Thai civilian's pay.

I spent 5 days in a ARMY hospital, 4 days xrays, 5 days lab, discharged with 4 months meds. Paid about the same as a 5 day stay at a decent downtown hotel, 12,000THB

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Like 1

Pill cutters are very cheap from the Pharmacy [paid 25 baht a few years ago]

I say this because often it appears pill are all the same price no matter what mg.

my BP pills are  'Prenolol' 25mg mornings [Atenolol] they cost the same price as 50mg pills, so it works out a lot cheaper to cut them in halve the same with 'Losartan' 50 mg evenings I have the 100 mg and cut in halve

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

24 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

I have been using THAI MILITARY hospitals for 9+ years. Most military dotcors are US or UK trained.  My latest prescriptions ( 4 months 1@2x daily and 1@1xs daily ) and including Doctors visit and lab work was 1,200THB.

In the US, 1 MONTHLY prescription with co-pay was $29.00US.  When it comes to health, why not visit a MILITARY hospitals .. clinic ..for a checkup.

HINT: you have to register 1st and get a (( FREE )) hospital ID card, passport needed  You pay the same price Thai civilian's pay.

I spent 5 days in a ARMY hospital, 4 days xrays, 5 days lab, discharged with 4 months meds. Paid about the same as a 5 day stay at a decent downtown hotel, 12,000THB

Thanks for the reply. I visited the doctor in the UK a short while back for a check up and was put on the meds but unfortunately they've now run out 

1 hour ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

Yes.  You can buy it at any pharmacy.  Unless they are out of stock.

There really are no such things as prescriptions in Thailand.  Lots of normally prescribed drugs in western countries are available in most pharmacies.  Some drugs are controlled though and you can only get them from hospitals, which means having to see a doctor there.

I would also add that pharmacies will sell locally produced and imported versions of the same drug.

Edited by rwill