Recommendations for off-grid charger/inverter combo please

GroWatt have a good following, not silly prices.

PowMr are somewhat cheaper but still "adequate".

There's a whole plethora of el-cheapo Chinese stuff of doubtful pedigree of course.

Have you done a simple power-budget calculation? (or post here what you intend running and we can do it for you)

I suspect you may be a little under-panelled.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, VisitChiangMai2023 said:

One 2-door refrigerator Mitsubishi MR-15F

This is the part you need to be rather careful with.

Googled the model to see specs but nothing came up........

Anything with a motor requires rather large (depending on type) starting current compared to the run current.

With standard split phase compressor approx 4 times full load current.

Inverter style compressors require good clean supply.

Insufficient capacity in the supply will do irreversable damage to the frig components.

Edited by bluejets
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everybody for all the information, much welcome!

Some background: The system has been running successfully for a number of years already;

only now the lead-acid batteries have deteriorated so much, that the refrigerator can be run only in daytime.
Therefore, i am going to replace them with LiFePo4 batteries.
On this occasion, i was thinking of buying a new charger/inverter too.

After studying the tech-specs yesterday, i have seen that the minimum amount of power required for the C/I combo recommended by BritManToo (which looks like a decent machine) is 6 panels connected serially.

As i would like to keep my current setup of 4panels parallel, i may stay with the old 24V 1000W Inverter and only invest in a new charger. (most likely PowMr, thanks to Crossy).

Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable source of LiFePo4 batteries here in Chiang Mai?

What battery capacity are you looking for, about half what your lead-acid ones are would likely do the trick?

Buying LiFePO4 at DIY level can be a nightmare, there is just sooo much carp on sale it's very difficult to recommend.

28 minutes ago, VisitChiangMai2023 said:

An update:
i now have a quote for LiFePO4 batteries from a Solarshop in the Sanpatong area:
IONIC brand

12V 100Ah 9000Baht
or
24V 250Ah 43000Baht
2 years warranty

Any ideas on that?

Way too expensive, assemble your own 48V 250AH will set you back around 38,000bht.

Buyer beware, lots of Thai sellers using 10 year old recycled batteries in their builds.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I used a powmr in Australia and comes up with beeping errors often and doesn't like heat. I'd investigate models a bit. Possibly upgrade the fan and heatsinks inside. I do see many repair YT videos on the powmr style of inverters. Not necessarily a stay away warning from me. Just research your purchase a bit before investing. Also look at using DC day time appliances hence removing the need for so much inverter capacity.

On 2/22/2023 at 11:59 AM, VisitChiangMai2023 said:

LiFePO4-batteries.

2000W inverter would be nice.

Unfortunately, i can't afford Victron or any other high-quality brand.

I understand when people don't want to spend more than necessary.

But with some things, like using Lithium batteries with lots of power, I would think twice about using cheaper devices. Because obviously cheaper devices are cheaper for a reason. Some fuses, heat sensors, and other hardware is not really necessary for a device to "work". But it can be fatal if security features are missing if something goes wrong.

IMHO do it right and secure or don't do it!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand when people don't want to spend more than necessary.

But with some things, like using Lithium batteries with lots of power, I would think twice about using cheaper devices. Because obviously cheaper devices are cheaper for a reason. Some fuses, heat sensors, and other hardware is not really necessary for a device to "work". But it can be fatal if security features are missing if something goes wrong.

IMHO do it right and secure or don't do it!

I've never found much difference between expensive an cheap.

Nearly all the expensive Samsung electronics I have purchased failed very quickly.

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never found much difference between expensive an cheap.

Nearly all the expensive Samsung electronics I have purchased failed very quickly.

There is a big difference between failing and failing.

If a phone fails and doesn't work anymore that is annoying but that's about it.

If a couple of lithium batteries overheat and burn that is a very different category of failure.