Flying out and back to get a fresh no-visa arrival stamp. How soon can I return?

Title says it all:

Flying out and back to get a fresh no-visa arrival stamp. Not sure what that's formally called. I haven't done this before as when I fly out, I usually return several months or a year later. How long do I need to stay out of country before coming back to get a new 45 day stamp? Would like to do this a couple times in 2023.

Thanks

2 hours ago, DrHoneydew said:

How long do I need to stay out of country before coming back to get a new 45 day stamp?

No set answer to that question.

Couple of days would be good.

Reports of flying out and back same day.

Lot of hassle with immigration.

Where are you planning to fly? 

You will require an onward flight for airline on your return leg.

As alternative you can fly to Udon Thani and do a land border exit and reenter same day.

However you can only do that twice a year.

You could consider Saigon as it's cheapish return flight and depending on passport country you might be eligible for visa exempt entry to Vietnam. 

Did that trip a week back 3500b return. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've often done a land border back and forth to/from Savannakhet, returning within an hour or two. Never been a problem. I've also made overnight trips to Singapore and KL. Also never been a problem. There's a decent enough hotel connected to KL by a walkway. and of course you have various dining options in the terminal. Never a problem going in and out within 24 hours.

35 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've often done a land border back and forth to/from Savannakhet, returning within an hour or two. Never been a problem. I've also made overnight trips to Singapore and KL. Also never been a problem. There's a decent enough hotel connected to KL by a walkway. and of course you have various dining options in the terminal. Never a problem going in and out within 24 hours.

Have your in/out trips by air been for visa exempt entry to Thailand? It is important to appreciate that an immediate return with a multiple entry visa is usually no problem, but I am surprised you have not faced interrogation if receiving many visa exemptions by air (always assuming your experience was not 5+ years ago).

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

(Doing this is called requesting a "visa exempt entry" or a "visa exemption".)

Just to reiterate what others have already posted ...

When leaving and returning by air for a visa exemption, there are no definite rules. It is up to the discretion of the immigration officials. A same day return is more likely to be stringently scrutinised than requesting a visa exemption after being out for a few days. However, even more significant is how much time you have spent recently (say, over the last year) in Thailand as a tourist. The official is supposed to decide whether you are using visa exemptions to stay longer in Thailand than is compatible with normal tourism. You can be denied entry though, recently, this has not happened often.

A border bounce by land for a visa exempt entry is treated differently (at least at the vast majority of crossings). You can get exactly two visa exemptions by land during 2023. Using crossings with Laos or Myanmar (when open) you can return immediately. Crossing to Cambodia, you are faced with a Cambodian law that mandates staying overnight. (You can pay a small bribe to the Cambodian officials to have this regulation waived.) A border bounce at crossings to Malaysia is not well defined. My impression is that both the Thai and Malaysian officials frown on border bounces just for fresh Thai visa exemptions. While this may not be true at all crossings with Malaysia, a fairly hefty bribe must often be paid on the Thai side to be allowed a same day return or single night out.

Indeed , a tourist visa is meant for real tourists and not for regular visitors to see their spouse etc . Friend of mine , last year was refused entry at Don Muang because IO looked at his pp and saw that he was coming to Thailand every 3 months and staying at least 1 month . IO asked him where he was travelling to in Thailand and friend told him he was going to see his long term g/f and stay in her house .  He was put on the next flight back and told to get a proper visa .

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, superal said:

IO asked him where he was travelling to in Thailand and friend told him he was going to see his long term g/f and stay in her house .  He was put on the next flight back and told to get a proper visa .

Don't believe that story and if actually occured the io was well out of order 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I used to this several times a year pre-covid. Last time was a week or two before lockdowns.

Emirates fllight to Hong Kong, chill at the business lounge never leaving the airport and fly back on same plane and same crew which always sparked a convo with crew :) Never went thru immigration in HK as they don't do stamps there anyway,

Did it to Kuala Lumpur once but did pass thru immigration to get the stamp if needed so I was in Kuala Lumpur for about 20 minutes . Immigration officer on the way back out of KL did have a laugh about it when he asked me why ;)

Flew to Singapore but always stayed one night at least.

This was all before covid.

Last year flew to Europe for 2 months and back on entry sent back to the desk to discuss it. I was with my Thai wife and son. Did manage to get in but was told to get a visa. Did have a ton of covid extensions in my passport so probably the biggest reason I was not let in at first.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Have your in/out trips by air been for visa exempt entry to Thailand? It is important to appreciate that an immediate return with a multiple entry visa is usually no problem, but I am surprised you have not faced interrogation if receiving many visa exemptions by air (always assuming your experience was not 5+ years ago).

Good point.

There are no guarantees. It is at their discretion. If they see too many stamps, they can say to come back with a proper visa. Every situation is different. That said, be prepared. Have 20,000 baht in cash in case they ask. Bring some clothes instead of just a backpack so you can stay somewhere while you reevaluate your options.

22 minutes ago, superal said:

100% true and yes the IO was out of order , or was he ?

Happened to me aswel, about 6 yrs ago came in on a 60 day , ask were I was staying said traveling with my wife , he shouted you gave a wife wrong visa you should not come here face like thunder, after about 5 minutes of staring at my  passport he said you can come in but not again unless you have right visa, schit meself. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, superal said:

100% true and yes the IO was out of order , or was he ?

I believe the official's decision was extremely harsh, but he could probably justify it. Their instructions are to deny serial and/or frequent use of visa exemptions "to stay longer in Thailand than is compatible with normal tourism". This horrible order means that using visa exemptions for frequent or lengthy visits to stay with your Thai partner does not qualify. On the other hand, a former prime minister instructed that this order should be enforced flexibly. Thus, it is understandable that every official can have their own understanding of the conditions under which visa exempt entry should be denied.

• Like 1

OP, you would be well advised to listen to the advice of Dr Jack, Britim et al.

Its all very well for people to tell you that you won't have a problem - will they pay for your flight out if you are denied entry? Heard all these 'never happened to me' types before. Well it does bloody well happen - rarely but it does and its exactly what you propose to do where it happens the most.

Far better in your situation to stay out for a few days. Have your story ready if questioned........also have 20,000 baht in cash with you - if you don't and the I.O. wants to deny you without good reason, he/she will just state that you didn't have the funds and boot you out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lanng khao said:

Happened to me aswel, about 6 yrs ago came in on a 60 day , ask were I was staying said traveling with my wife , he shouted you gave a wife wrong visa you should not come here face like thunder, after about 5 minutes of staring at my  passport he said you can come in but not again unless you have right visa, schit meself. 

Had exactly the same a few years back.  Visiting your wife is not classed as tourism - yet the Thai Embassy in London were listing one 'Tourist Visa' as being suitable for visiting friends and family last time I looked ????.

With me - I was just being a cheapskate.........I thought "why am I paying for a Multi Non O every year when I only ever stay 2 weeks?" So when my visa expired, I came in exempt.  First time I did it they said......."no visa this time?".........scanned through my passport and saw how many times I'd visited (every 8 weeks for 2 weeks).........."OK you can enter this time but get a visa if you want to come again"

I have stayed here for about 10 months or so I think at this point using border runs to Cambodia. You can buy a ticket at the visa office next to the Jomtien immigration office. They drive you and a few others to Cambodia and return in minutes, never a hassle. I have seen IO ask 2 guys for 1000BHT one trip though, stating their next visa run should have been by air as they already used up their land crossing for the year. One of those guys was not actually in that situation though, but 'fined' none the less.

My intent now is to stay for another full year. I would like to get some medical work done that needs to happen in multiple sessions every 6-8 weeks.

By the sounds of it, no only might I have some difficulty this time but doing this for another full year will likely fail? I'd hate to buy personal items, such as an expensive bike if one day I might get denied return and never be able to recover it, lose condo deposit etc.

5 minutes ago, DrHoneydew said:

By the sounds of it, no only might I have some difficulty this time but doing this for another full year will likely fail

Taking into account the details you provided thinking a good option would be a METV.

You can obtain 9 months out of that and together with couple of border bounces + 30 day extensions would be bullet proof. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Taking into account the details you provided thinking a good option would be a METV.

You can obtain 9 months out of that and together with couple of border bounces + 30 day extensions would be bullet proof. 

Don't I need to apply for that in mt home country and wait for processing etc? I'm in Thailand now. Need to leave by Mar 6

17 minutes ago, DrHoneydew said:

Don't I need to apply for that in mt home country and wait for processing etc? I'm in Thailand now. Need to leave by Mar 6

You are allowed 2 visa exempt entries via land borders per calendar year.

You would be best served by doing one just prior to March 31 as they provide 45 day stamp and you can also o rain 30 day extension. 

That  buys time. 

Yes METV is meant to be applied for in home country.

Little cloudy now since eVisa available from some countries.

What is your pp country? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You are allowed 2 visa exempt entries via land borders per calendar year.

You would be best served by doing one just prior to March 31 as they provide 45 day stamp and you can also o rain 30 day extension. 

That  buys time. 

Yes METV is meant to be applied for in home country.

Little cloudy now since eVisa available from some countries.

What is your pp country? 

Canada