Renewing my Thai motorcycle driving license for another five years

acepredator

21 hours ago, acepredator said:

No. It would still expire on your birthday, but it would be the birthday five years after your expiration date rather than the birthday six years after. If you renewed your license after the expiration date you would only get four years and some months to use it before the next expiration date. 

12 hours ago, chrissables said:

Wrong i just 6 years less the 2 months late of renewal. 

it seems to be a difference of opinion, it seems one is from personal experience, the other ''it will'' so a guess

On 3/1/2023 at 1:36 PM, keithcresswell said:

I got my license last week and it shows my birthday as the expiry date.

but how long is the licence valid for, less than 5 years or more than 5 years??

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

it seems to be a difference of opinion, it seems one is from personal experience, the other ''it will'' so a guess

Your license runs out on your birthday. So if renewing a day after you get five years plus the amount of time until the following birthday.
I have now done this 3 times, always been the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Needed to renew 5 yr license in Nov. I don't even own vehicles anymore.

Appointment? Test? Waiting?

For the first time regarding anything Thailand, I shamelessly used an agent.

Priceless. 

I think with the online reservation system as well as online testing it won't be nearly as bad as it was in years past, with hundreds of people waiting all day to renew their licenses. I'll find out on March 16th.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:33 PM, acepredator said:

I think with the online reservation system as well as online testing it won't be nearly as bad as it was in years past, with hundreds of people waiting all day to renew their licenses. I'll find out on March 16th.

The only benifit of all the online testing etc is that you don't need to watch the video at DLT centre.

You'll still have to Q for perception test and colour test.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PJ71 said:

The only benifit of all the online testing etc is that you don't need to watch the video at DLT centre.

You'll still have to Q for perception test and colour test.

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought about the other tests we have to take at the DLT. Do you know if a medical certificate is required to renew a five year license rather than a two year license? Thanks again for any further information you can povide.

18 hours ago, acepredator said:

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought about the other tests we have to take at the DLT. Do you know if a medical certificate is required to renew a five year license rather than a two year license? Thanks again for any further information you can povide.

A medical certificate is required for renewing a 5 year license at  the Pattaya Land Transport Office. I got mine from a clinic where the only requirement was to know my weight and height and have 100 baht. There were only two tests at the LTO, braking and knowing the colours of the traffic lights. That was three weeks ago so things could have changed. 

5 hours ago, keithcresswell said:

A medical certificate is required for renewing a 5 year license at  the Pattaya Land Transport Office. I got mine from a clinic where the only requirement was to know my weight and height and have 100 baht. There were only two tests at the LTO, braking and knowing the colours of the traffic lights. That was three weeks ago so things could have changed. 

Thanks for your reply. I assume if the certificate is required in Pattaya it would also be for Chiang Mai. Also, I doubt that there would be any major changes in the last three weeks. The braking test, I assume, is with the feet, like in a car. Is that test given for people applying only for the motorcycle license? It seems pointless to do so.