annoying flying rats aka pigeons

watgate

On 2/26/2023 at 10:14 AM, ezzra said:

I have a strong dislike to the common Myna bird of Thailand that screams its head off relentlessly 24 hours a day, The bird can imitate human voices and has a number of sharp calls and chatter.

This includes croaks, squawks, chirps, clicks, whistles and ‘growls’, while poop can be cleaned, this noise pollution can drive a person mad and it's unstable. 

The windows of my house are blinded with foil, you can imagine that there are plenty of birds that want to mirror themselves in it and tap the whole day their beak against the windows, and last but not least poop the window sill.

It get worser, now they find the mirrors of the car and the same happens with red poop that corrodes the paint.

I stayed at the Sofitel in Ladprao a few decades ago when going to BKK for business. They had pigeon served at their dinner buffet. I tried it a few times and it was no different than eating dove. Dove hunting in the Midwest was very popular when I was a youngster. If I recall I think 30 a day was the limit. Understandably as one is just a few bites.

My father used to raise and race pigeons. There was prize money involved but in actuality it was nothing more than a reason to sit and drink beer with friends.

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I have wondered about that.  A place I used to work at in 1978 had pigeons in the building over the steam boiler.  The plant supervisors son would shoot them with a pellet gun.  I asked what he did with the dead pigeons.   Eat them he said.   

I didn't ask how he prepared them but I have always thought it would be a similar procedure like  a chicken.  I also wonder if the smaller bones and chicken parts makes it more difficult to eat them. 

I have seen wood pigeon breasts on the menu in U.K. restaurants, tbh they are very nice, you need 2 though.

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have seen wood pigeon breasts on the menu in U.K. restaurants, tbh they are very nice, you need 2 though.

When you say nice, I assume you mean they taste good.   Had to look it up.  Is this the wood pigeon in the U.K.?   That is one big pigeon!  Also looked for a recipe.   Found one on a page called Great British Chefs web page.   I wonder how that recipe would work with chicken.   I don't know if there are any place to buy pigeon breasts where I live. 

I tried pasting the recipe here, but it didn't look right. 

5 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

When you say nice, I assume you mean they taste good.   Had to look it up.  Is this the wood pigeon in the U.K.?   That is one big pigeon!  Also looked for a recipe.   Found one on a page called Great British Chefs web page.   I wonder how that recipe would work with chicken.   I don't know if there are any place to buy pigeon breasts where I live. 

I tried pasting the recipe here, but it didn't look right. 

Yes, my Dad worked on a farm and we ate rabbit, hare and wood pigeon  I mentioned this to my Thai partner, she turned up her nose, I said what do Thai people eat, rat, road kill, what’s the difference.

We used to have about 50 or more (yes, I tried to count) flying around our house. The maid opposite used to put food next to our house to feed them and we often had big arguments about this.

Recently, some Burmese guys have been coming around with some kind of cage/trap on telescopic  poles. They capture the pigeons in the cage and carefully wrap a bag around the cage. I have no idea what they do with the pigeons, but they are very gentle with them.

Now, we don't have a single pigeon around here.

• Like 1