Why are you in Thailand?

Why are you here?  

212 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, ozimoron said:

This "girl" has a little something. She comes from Cambodia and can't read Thai. Photo taken on Soi Buakhao last night. I had her pegged immediately but my friend didn't.

You 'pegged' her immediately?!!! ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Walking into an expensive restaurant in Thailand, I expect a wai -  I never got one last night in Hua Hin, and never gave a tip because of it. 

Last week on the golf course, my caddy never waied me, which is very disrespectful, however, saying the St Francis prayer daily  helps me overcome my self-importance. 

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is offence, let me bring pardon.
Where there is discord, let me bring union.
Where there is error, let me bring truth.
Where there is doubt, let me bring faith.
Where there is despair, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness, let me bring your light.
Where there is sadness, let me bring joy.
O Master, let me not seek as much
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love,
for it is in giving that one receives,
it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,
it is in dying that one is raised to eternal life.”

Wow that's tough.  I've lived here around 17 years and couldn't give a monkeys who does or doesn't wai me!  The only people I wai are police/government/immigration officers and my mother-in-law.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Wow that's tough.  I've lived here around 17 years and couldn't give a monkeys who does or doesn't wai me!  The only people I wai are police/government/immigration officers and my mother-in-law.

Interesting, have you worked here? 

Maybe it's because I have worked in Thai institutions that I understand the importance of obeisance in Thai society, and I would not wai police, normally. 

I've integrated more than most farang and know the hierarchal social structure, as well as understanding how Thais see farang, especially in tourist areas. 

17 hours ago, ozimoron said:

This "girl" has a little something. She comes from Cambodia and can't read Thai. Photo taken on Soi Buakhao last night. I had her pegged immediately but my friend didn't.

20230225_204825.jpg

I don't see it. What has she got?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I suppose if I had unlimited finances, I would probably leave. 

If I had unlimited finances, I'd do 6 months back West for the weather, food, culture, fresh air, scenery.......and then 6 months here for the "culture" ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sex, golf, cost of living and far away from the terrible western female attitude.

I have been fortunate to travel to many places, this place by far is the best.  I only hope it lasts for awhile. 

I've been here too long, I need a trip abroad to put things in perspective,

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ozimoron said:

20230225_204825.jpg

I had to look up "pegging" to see what it was all about.  I'm surprised they let you do that in the bar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

I had to look up "pegging" to see what it was all about.  I'm surprised they let you do that in the bar.

You obviously didn't look far.

"Peg can mean to watch or observe, as in I've got you pegged, which is similar to number, as in, I've got your number, meaning to have someone's measure."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You obviously didn't look far.

"Peg can mean to watch or observe, as in I've got you pegged, which is similar to number, as in, I've got your number, meaning to have someone's measure."

'stalk' or 'groom' would have been a better choice. 

• Confused 2