Buying Thai government bonds

Anyone have any experience to share about buying a Thai government savings bond?

Bangkok Bank offers a specific ”government bond account” as one of their investment options. Since I already have a savings account with Bangkok Bank I thought I might try to get a bond account opened.

If I manage to do that, is it just a matter of a few taps in the mobile app and I’m magically a Thai government bond owner? Or is the process of acquiring a bond more involved than that even if I have an bond account with Bangkok Bank?

Yes, I have experience in Thai Airways debentures which at the time were owned by the Thai Finance Ministry.

These are within one of my retirement mutual funds and have been written-down in value to zero a few years ago, when the Government decided to absolve itself of responsibility and restructure the shareholdings. Hopefully...,they might be restored to full value when the bankruptcy process ends.

As you might imagine, my advice regarding any investment associated with the Thai government would be "don't". 

16 minutes ago, realfunster said:

Yes, I have experience in Thai Airways debentures which at the time were owned by the Thai Finance Ministry.

These are within one of my retirement mutual funds and have been written-down in value to zero a few years ago, when the Government decided to absolve itself of responsibility and restructure the shareholdings. Hopefully...,they might be restored to full value when the bankruptcy process ends.

As you might imagine, my advice regarding any investment associated with the Thai government would be "don't". 

I second that. And as far as the Thai airways stock value inside LTF funds being restored, don't hold your breath.

• Thumbs Up 1