PEA found out meter is spinning backward

15 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Interesting thank you! Am I correct in thinking that your installer is not 'approved' by PEA but, in view of the upcoming changes already mentioned in this thread, can ensure that your system is acceptable to the PEA and thus qualifies for FIT payments? Their fee for this service being 20,000 baht?   

My installer is approved by PEA, he has done quite some huge Projects in Hua Hin Area. This Registration is just to be registered with PEA and doesn't allow to Export any Power into the Grid.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

On 4/16/2023 at 6:40 PM, UWEB said:

I just have started the PEA Registration Process for my new System, my Installer is doing all. Costs are 20.000 THB and will take around 3-4 month time.

Would you tell more about it?

I think there are many members here who are keenly interested in hearing your Story!

12 minutes ago, eddysacc said:

How much is the cost to get a already installed solar farm registered with PEA/MEA 

(Let's assume 5kw 1 phase)

Any "guesstimates"?

Have you read this post?

and especially the last couple of sentences?

Was your system a DiY install? If so then not possible, if done by a approved installer then IMHO not so much but If installed by a Non approved one, my guess you will be cheaper to get a new install (maybe the approved installer can reuse some of your materials. (if they will that is another question)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Was giving this a little thought, if for instance there was another consumer unit fitted between the meter and the CT clamp, theoretically you could put constant load on it ( low wattage of course) and then leave the solar powered up on no export thus powering fridges and any other necessities whilst away for extended periods.

If the meter reader turns up, it's moving in the right direction albeit ever so slowly.

Which is all very well until the constant load fails and the meter is stood still ..Lol.

Just a thought and something I'm considering myself.

All the Best

PR3

• 8 months later...

I went to PEA to declare that I have solar panel.

They care about getting the info.

They do not care about knowing if it is a DIY or an unregistered installer or a registered installer.

A few weeks later they instal to my house a digital meter.

It's complicate to understand how the digital meter is working.

25 minutes ago, hourlay said:

It's complicate to understand how the digital meter is working.

Do you mean the actual technical workings of the electronics? 

OR

Are you confused by the available displays?

My friends forgot to pay their PEA bill whilst overseas on holiday, they came to disconnect the meter and probably saw it spinning in reverse.  Now they want to make an appointment to change it for a digital one.

My neighbour has just installed an expensive Hybrid solar system and told PEA, I suspect they will change his meter for digital too.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:20 AM, MJCM said:

Doubt that is going to happen for example with all those companies installing Solar. For example the Toyota dealer near the Stadium is installing a .... load of Solar Panels at the moment.

Edit: And IMHO that would be a dumb move if the government goes that far, everywhere they are trying to go green but of course TiT :thumbsup:

Agree, very unlikely as one of the big companies in Thailand is involved with solar: Why WHA Solar | WHA Utilities & Power (wha-up.com)

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we had a near-miss back in June.

Same here, and back then nothing (fortunately) happened and we still have the old style meter. 

But we are upgrading the house we bought next door and also upgrading the electrical system in that house from 5/15A to 15/45A we contacted the PEA and we will also get an Electronic Meter to replace the old 5/15A one.

Now I am wondering how long it will take for them to exchange all the meters in our Soi (inclu the one in our House) :ermm:

edit: Maybe by upgrading the electricity for the next door house we are getting unwanted attention :sad:

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Back to the original post = PEA found out meter running backwards.

Back in October I posted (ROI After 2 Years) that my small scall GTI system had been operational for 2 years, and that during that time it had produced nearly 6,000 units, which had knocked almost 25,000 THB off our electricity bills.

At the end of my post, I indicated that I would not do anything more with the system unless our local PEA decided to swap the lovely spinning disc meter for a new shinny digital one.  Well, that end thought almost came true recently.

About 6 weeks ago, my wife was at a hospital in BKK for a routine medical check up and was just about to be called in to see the doctor when she received a phone call. 

The caller stated that he was from the PEA and that he was coming to the house the following day to fit a digital meter.  He asked if she would be home around 10am.  He then asked if she had claimed a refund on the original meter installation.  My wife advised the caller that she would be at home but that she couldn't remember if she had claimed the refund.  Because she was being called into see the doctor, she had to end the call.

After seeing the doctor, she called me to advise me about the phone call.  You can image what was went through my mind, namely, how the heck did the PEA find out that we had solar?  The system can’t be seen from the roadway outside the house/car port.  Did they see the meter spinning backwards whilst we were not at home?  Had someone ‘grassed’ on us?

When my wife got home, she spoke to several of the neighbours whose meters share the pole outside our house, and none had received a call from the PEA.  So, were we the only one to have our meter changed?

So, with the possibility of the PEA turning up next day to replace our spinning disc meter, I decided to play safe and turn the solar system completely off.

The following day we waited patiently for the PEA to arrive.  10am came and went.  12 noon passed.  5pm elapsed and still no sign of anyone from the PEA.  So, my wife called the mobile number that had rung her the previous day to try and find out what was happening.  Despite several attempts to call the number there was no reply.

As we were usure as to when the PEA might turn up, I decided to leave the system turned off until they had been.  A week passed and still no sign of the PEA.  After another week I turned the system back on in ON EXPORT mode, so that at least we would get some power produced by the system, but the meter should not spin backwards.  After a further week, and still no sign of the PEA, or further phone calls, I turned the system back on into EXPORT mode.  To date, other than the normal meter reader, there has been no sign of any PEA, thankfully.  Perhaps I should not speak to soon.

In hindsight, I now believe that this may have been some sort of scam call that did not play out because: a) my wife needed to end because she had been called to see the doctor; b)  my wife is certain that the caller did not mention the house number during their brief conversation; c)  why did the caller not answer the phone (it was a mobile number); and d) if he was from the PEA as he said, he should have been able to look up on their computer system if my wife had claimed/received a refund for the original meter.

Because of this event, I’ve decided to upgrade my small system, as @Crossy suggested in my ROI post, by initially adding a few extra panels and possibly running the system in NO EXPORT mode to just cover day time needs.

Thinking longer term, a hybrid inverter with more panels is a possibility, but without being attached to any ESS.  Given my age (77), with the probability that I will fall off my perch at some time, my darling wife has indicated that she does not feel confident enough to look after a battery system.

Moral of the story.... Spinning the disc backwards has its rewards, but also its downside.

Thanks for your update! Living with uncertainty from day-to-day makes life more interesting. I've enjoyed ten years of lower bills in the UK thanks to the totally free 'rent a roof' scheme. No feed-in tariff or meter spinning in reverse (had a digital one at time of installation, now replaced with Smart meter). Been trying to persuade my Mrs to instal solar without success. Our electrician friend does all sorts of weird and wonderful things with solar panels and car batteries but only for lighting purposes. He says solar is no good for running air conditioners. House is unoccupied from 7am until around 9 or 10pm. Average monthly bill 2,000 baht.   

Ok guys, here's my experience.

A guy took my spinning meter and changed it for a digital one.  

So after reading this topic, I switched my SOLAX in NO EXPORT, disabled it.

Took a photo of the meter after 1 day, reading g 28Kwh.  Took another picture this morning showing 39kwh.

Yesterday I not used solar, system shut down.

Today I was playing with the export settings and enabled the system maybe for 10 or 15 minutes.

Took another photo.....WTF... the meter was showing 17kwh instead of 39 or more.

So who can tell me or explain what T F happens.

Seems that someone or something is playing with the figures.

On the photo of 39kwh, the left figures were 000 and on the 2nd I see 300

20231228_144915.jpg

20231228_144939.jpg

Edited by sjk65

33 minutes ago, sjk65 said:

Ok guys, here's my experience.

A guy took my spinning meter and changed it for a digital one.  

So after reading this topic, I switched my SOLAX in NO EXPORT, disabled it.

Took a photo of the meter after 1 day, reading g 28Kwh.  Took another picture this morning showing 39kwh.

Yesterday I not used solar, system shut down.

Today I was playing with the export settings and enabled the system maybe for 10 or 15 minutes.

Took another photo.....WTF... the meter was showing 17kwh instead of 39 or more.

So who can tell me or explain what T F happens.

Seems that someone or something is playing with the figures.

On the photo of 39kwh, the left figures were 000 and on the 2nd I see 300

20231228_144915.jpg

20231228_144939.jpg

Please post a picture of today’s reading.

Your previous two pictures are from Memory 2 on the meter, it’s possible you aren’t reading from the same memory.

Sometimes there’s some text in the corner of the display telling you the type of memory, eg Import, Export, Cheap Rate etc etc

• Thanks 1

All this newfangled technology is a bit daunting so I though I would take a look around google and this is what I found:-

https://pattaya-pages.com/pea-smart-plus-app-for-remotely-checking-electricity-meter-readings-electricity-consumption-statistics-by-hour-day-and-month-and-much-more/#2

It may be totally unrelated to the digital meter problem but on the other hand............

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Your previous two pictures are from Memory 2 on the meter, it’s possible you aren’t reading from the same memory.

Sometimes there’s some text in the corner of the display telling you the type of memory, eg Import, Export, Cheap Rate etc etc

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Pictures took today,  I don't have the knowledge to change something on the meter.  If you can....please explain and I make new

On 12/29/2023 at 9:18 AM, motdaeng said:

i believe different code such as 000 or 300 also implies a different reading ... but who knows the codes? :biggrin:

image.thumb.png.3c92bd882c01a4e5e6b421d7a511c0fd.png

Yes that's true,  find something on YouTube but talking is in Thai 😊.