Wrong year on TM6 and passport

Hello,

A friend from Laos entered Thailand on february 21st 2023 by bus at Laos border both his passport and TM6 were stamped until april 6th 2025 instead of april 6th 2023.

He is worried because he thinks that when  even if he leaves Thailand before april 6th 2023, he might get in trouble with immigration. He says that when something is wrong immigration will ask money from people from Laos, cambodia or else.

He is even considering to make a special trip to Cambodia with a visa bus, thinking he would have less problems leaving that way then coming back the following day.

What do you think? Is he right to worry and not to leave Thailand with a flight?

Edited by daejung
error

He should have the date corrected at immigration.

Should not go back to Border to have it corrected by office where it was issued.

In reality he could most likely just exit Thailand by air prior to April 6 without obtaining reentry permit

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

He should go to a immigration office to have the stamping error corrected.

Thanks. He is scared that immigration  might ask money as, according to him, they do with people from neighbouring countries

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

He should have the date corrected at immigration.

Should not go back to Border to have it corrected by office where it was issued.

In reality he could most likely just exit Thailand by air prior to April 6 without obtaining reentry permit

He has no visa at all. As a lso he can stay 45 days .

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I misread start of your OP.

Didn't realize the he is Laotian.

He should go to immigration and have stamp fixed. 

He might be in trouble then if he leaves Thailand without going to immigration in Bangkok first?

3 hours ago, daejung said:

He is worried because he thinks that when  even if he leaves Thailand before april 6th 2023, he might get in trouble with immigration.

All he has to do is plead that he didn't notice the error. If he leaves on time according to his original application then he hasn't committed an offence. Not his fault someone cocked up. He certainly didn't.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

If he is Laotian then another question to ask him is "Did he enter on an MOU Visa" if so he gets 2 years as a migrant worker. If he is just an expat living in Laos, then the border control IO messed up and used the stamp for those entering MOU

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If he is Laotian then another question to ask him is "Did he enter on an MOU Visa" if so he gets 2 years as a migrant worker. If he is just an expat living in Laos, then the border control IO messed up and used the stamp for those entering MOU

No, he has no work permit? he goes back every 45 days to Cambodia or Laos for that reason.

He thinks the officer made a mistake due to that.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I misread start of your OP.

Didn't realize the he is Laotian.

He should go to immigration and have stamp fixed. 

He never went to immigration up to now and just told me he thinks it is at Chaengawattana he should go but isn't there another place for people from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, etc ...

34 minutes ago, daejung said:

He never went to immigration up to now and just told me he thinks it is at Chaengawattana he should go but isn't there another place for people from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia, etc ...

There are only two places in Bangkok for the 3 countries nationals (Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia) to go to for immigration issues and they are located at Big C Rat Burana on the bottom floor, and Big C Lad Prao in the 5th floor parking lot.  CW will not help

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't he be OK leaving by the correct date anyway?
There are a few offices for neighbouring country passports but I think they tend to deal with those on MOU visas.  The main one is at Imperial Ladprao. Maybe CW would be the right place for his case though?
The visa vans usually pick up at night. So remember to leave on the night of the 5th so that he's at the border on the morning of the 6th. If he's a day late he'll get fined. 

3 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Wouldn't he be OK leaving by the correct date anyway?
There are a few offices for neighbouring country passports but I think they tend to deal with those on MOU visas.  The main one is at Imperial Ladprao. Maybe CW would be the right place for his case though?
The visa vans usually pick up at night. So remember to leave on the night of the 5th so that he's at the border on the morning of the 6th. If he's a day late he'll get fined. 

CW will not help him, he needs to go to one of the two locations if he is in Bangkok I have listed above.  I know this from having a Myanmar housekeeper whom I do the 90 day report for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

There are only two places for the 3 countries (Myanmar/Laos/Cambodia) to go to and they are located at Big C Rat Burana on the bottom floor, and Big C Lad Prao in the 5th floor parking lot.  CW will not help

Does the Big C Don Muang office still operate? It's still on the website. 
https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/th/legalized_labours_service_center/

1 minute ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Does the Big C Don Muang office still operate? It's still on the website. 
https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/th/legalized_labours_service_center/

Never been there, but if its listed on the Immigration website then yes it probably is still operating. @ubonjoe would know for sure.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Never been there, but if its listed on the Immigration website then yes it probably is still operating. @ubonjoe would know for sure.

Thanks, I will wait for ubonjoe confirmation, if he knows, before transmitting the information to my lao friend

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

CW will not help him, he needs to go to one of the two locations if he is in Bangkok I have listed above.  I know this from having a Myanmar housekeeper whom I do the 90 day report for.

He has no work permit and no visa. Aren't these offices for people working in Thailand?

25 minutes ago, daejung said:

He has no work permit and no visa. Aren't these offices for people working in Thailand?

Yes wait for ubonjoe.

He can give definitive advice.

Just my opinion....

This is a simple stamp mistake. 

Thinking CW will correct this quickly. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The stamp correction will be done at the Ladprao office

May be I misunderstood. You earlier said :

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

Those offices are only for migrant workers.

It is hard to help him because he is scared :

The immigration police are not friendly to migrant workers from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar people

Many times they charged and demanded money from migrant workers

They will blame me because they will say I didn't check before traveling

The correct date is probably in the computer system and the IO was just blind as a bat (or hungover) when he set the year of his stamp. Not a big deal to get it fixed at immigration.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that the stamp correction personnel, probably the least corrupt in all of immigration, would ask him for money. But please report back how it went. 

13 hours ago, daejung said:

May be I misunderstood. You earlier said :

It is hard to help him because he is scared :

I wrote the wrong office name. It is the Laksi IT square office.

It is not a migrant worker office,

• Thanks 1