Fatal smash on Bang Na - Trat; everyone was asleep including two drivers

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Bang Bo police and Ruam Katanyu rescue services were alerted to a collision between an Isuzu pick-up and a 22 wheel Hino truck at KM marker 27 inbound to Bangkok at 11 pm last night.

The driver of the truck, Bunmee, 37, who was carrying a load of steel rods from Chonburi to the Thai capital said he had just stopped at the PTT gas station to have some late night noodles.

Continuining his journey he felt sleepy and stopped for a nap on the inside (express) section of the highway on the hard shoulder on the left.

He was awoken by the sounds of a commotion and saw that a pick-up had gone into his rear.

Inside the Isuzu - whose airbags had deployed according to a picture published by Thai Rath - was driver Phupong, 25, from Phetchabun who was slumped against the steering wheel. He was still alive but was pronounced dead later in hospital.

The lady in the front passenger seat, Kanokwan, in her early 20s, was conscious and said that the four in the vehicle were on their way home to Bang Na. She had been asleep.

In the back of the pick-up were two unconscious people - a 25 year old lady called Nareenat and a 26 year old man called Phanuwat. All the victims were taken to different hospitals.

Police think the driver of the pick-up had what Thais called "lap nai" - a microsleep, causing him to drive into the back of the parked truck.

They are interviewing the trucker, witnessess and waiting for the injured to recover and give evidence to inform their inquiry.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Always my question why do people stop at the roadsides instead of petrol stations or other places like shopping malls parkings.... and why is the police not controlling this?? And why don't they take a rest during their trip?? In EU it is promoted to drive not longer than 2 hours and than take at least 15 minutes break..And also if you have to work you can't work from early morning till late evening....

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Always my question why do people stop at the roadsides instead of petrol stations or other places like shopping malls parkings.... and why is the police not controlling this?? And why don't they take a rest during their trip?? In EU it is promoted to drive not longer than 2 hours and than take at least 15 minutes break..And also if you have to work you can't work from early morning till late evening....

4.5 hours driving then a 45 minute break is the maximum. This can be split into 15 mins and  30 mins segment if required before the max time in that order only. Rule of thumb is no more than 15 hours of work 3 times a week but the max drive time is 9 hours and 10 hours twice a week.

My question is why are people blaming the truck driver and not the pickup driver?

If people would quit driving when they are tired, it would help a lot.

This Is Thailand and over the many years that I have visited there, I have seen

many people who drive when they are tanked up on booze, or drugs, or keep awake pills.

I doubt that anything will change in the next 50 years either. As I said it is Thailand.

Just my opiniuon.