Buying new car in Bangkok- Living in another province- registration?

sungod

Hi all,

If I (well, the other half actually, I'm just paying) bought a new car from a dealer in Bangkok it would delivered on red plates

When it comes to registration, where would it be registered, Bangkok?

What are the draw backs of buying a new car out of province, do I need to take it back to swap red for white plates?

Last vehicle I purchased was new.

Dealership is in BKK (I live in Chonburi).... obviously had red plates.

Delearship will register in what ever province you choose, it may take a bit more time though (I could not have BKK plates as I do not have an address in BKK).

I went from BKK dealership redplates to chonburi white plates...... took approx 2 months.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

(I could not have BKK plates as I do not have an address in BKK).

My mate has a vehicle with a Phitsanulok number plate but lives in Sukhothai.

Address of where the vehicle is kept should be in the green or blue book when you get,  the plate number can stay. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

My mate has a vehicle with a Phitsanulok number plate but lives in Sukhothai.

Address of where the vehicle is kept should be in the green or blue book when you get,  the plate number can stay. 

My address is in Chonburi, that is why my vehicles have Chonburi plates.

buying new in BKK it still has to be registered in Chonburi

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Maybe Chonburi province DLT require that,  not here in the boonies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Maybe Chonburi province DLT require that,  not here in the boonies.

To be honest I have no interest in what happens in boonies, it is well documented the corruption.

In the big smoke proof of address is required for either new bluebook issuance or for a secondhand transfer.

Me not living in BKK makes it difficult to obtain a residency cert............... hence I registered my vehicles to the house I live in.

6 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

To be honest I have no interest in what happens in boonies, it is well documented the corruption.

In the big smoke proof of address is required for either new bluebook issuance or for a secondhand transfer.

Me not living in BKK makes it difficult to obtain a residency cert............... hence I registered my vehicles to the house I live in.

No need to change number plate. 

If people don't put address where vehicle is kept it will cause agro. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

No need to change number plate. 

If people don't put address where vehicle is kept it will cause agro. 

Yeah I too could buy an out of province vehicle and do nothing and keep the same number plate, but then the book would not be in my name.

Iam one of these old fashioned types that believe if I own it then it must be in my name.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah I too could buy an out of province vehicle and do nothing and keep the same number plate, but then the book would not be in my name.

Iam one of these old fashioned types that believe if I own it then it must be in my name.

That is not true, you can keep the same number plate and have the car registered in your name even if the car is registered in a different province to where you live.

I bought a used car with Petchaburi plates and had it registered in by name even though I at the time lived in Bangkok. You can just go to the DLT in the province where the car is registered, and they will do the transfer no matter where you live.

I just last week bought a new car from a dealership in Chiang Mai. We now live in Lamphun, so the dealership asked us if we wanted Chiang Mai or Lamphun plates (the wife chose Chiang Mai). The dealership will just register the car in the province of your choice, the DLT doesn't care if it's not in the same province where you live.  And no, it has nothing to do with corruption, there is no rule that says te car has to be registered in the same province as your address.

8 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I have a feeling you could be right about this. 

For example, my car is registered to my correct address in Chiang Mai. I bought it from a dealer here in CM, second hand, with BKK white plates.

In the blue book, where it records my registration, DLT has allocated a Chiang Mai plate number. But I never received any physical plates from the dealer.

Have never had a problem getting Type 1 insurance (probably because Type 1 is profitable for the insurers hahaha), and never any problems with annual renewal at DLT.

One snafu -- tried to my buy my humble Por Ror Bor insurance from a Krungthai Vank branch and they wouldn't let me, because my plates don't match my blue book. 

On that basis I am guessing that, technically, our plates are meant to match the current province and plate number listed in the blue book.

It's just that 99% of the time, no one cares. 

Are we on the same page Ralf001?

6 hours ago, ericthai said:

OP as stated wont be an issue.  However, I'm curious as to why you won put it in your name, since as you said you're paying.  

I already have a truck, I am upgrading the family car which she predominantly uses on the school runs. I also cant be ar$$ed to go to immigration ????

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, sungod said:

If I (well, the other half actually, I'm just paying) bought a new car from a dealer in Bangkok it would delivered on red plates

When it comes to registration, where would it be registered, Bangkok?

What are the draw backs of buying a new car out of province, do I need to take it back to swap red for white plates?

The dealer will register it in Bangkok.

The dealer could send you the white plates by mail, and you send him the red plates back, would save you a trip to Bangkok.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The dealer will register it in Bangkok.

The dealer could send you the white plates by mail, and you send him the red plates back, would save you a trip to Bangkok.

Thanks very much for confirming, that's exactly what he told me would happen on the phone yesterday evening!

On 3/3/2023 at 12:07 PM, Ralf001 said:

no it doesn't, we have a Bangkok registered car with an address in Rayong, bought new from Bangkok,

we also have a Bangkok registered motorcycle, with an address in Rayong

we also have a car registered in Chon buri with an address in Rayong, recently our address changed from chon buri to Rayong, wife changed the address in the Pattaya DLT

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no it doesn't, we have a Bangkok registered car with an address in Rayong, bought new from Bangkok,

we also have a car registered in Chon buri with an address in Rayong, recently our address changed from chon buri to Rayong, wife changed the address in the Pattaya DLT

Vehicles are in your name or Thai wife ?

35 minutes ago, steve187 said:

why

I was told at BKK transport dept last time I purchased a 2nd hand vehicle (approx 2 years ago) Thai's can change name in book and not have to change to province of residence but foreigners need to show proof of address..... Hard to get a residency cert if you do not have an address in BKK......... Hence the province change.

They did however update the book at that time to my name however they also de-registered/cancelled the BKK registration.... Vehicle re-registered next day in Chonburi with Chonburi plates and my Chonburi address.

Friend recently purchased a BKK registered vehicle and had to do the same <deleted> to re-register in his name in Chonburi too.

Edited by Ralf001

On 3/5/2023 at 10:43 AM, steve187 said:

They are probably in Thai name, a Thai can can easily register a vehicle anywhere, same if registering the vehicle in the name of a company.

Foreigners usually have to provide a certificate of residence of the province where the registration is done, so out of province registration is difficult. Of course there might be the odd DLT which accepts a certificate of residence from another province, but usually they don't.