Does Thailand charge duties on eye glasses purchased on line

LivingNThailand

I want to buy some eye glasses online from the US.  My progressive glasses cost me 15,000 THB here in Thailand and only about 5,000 THB if I order them on-line from a US company (which has been highly recommended by some friends and relatives).  I'm not sure if they mailing address will be a US address or China (because I believe they are made in China).  

My question is does the Thai government charge duty on eye glasses?  And if so, how much?  Or can you direct me to a website with this information?

I know, even if they charge duty it will be cheaper, but I don't want to hassle the tax office if possible.

Thank you for your help.

A word of caution, eye glasses made in China are a gamble and one should not gable with their eyes, i too was trying to cut cost by ordering from China but ended up having them made in BKK, as for your question, i don't think there will be import duties on such item as long as its only one item.

23 minutes ago, ezzra said:

i too was trying to cut cost by ordering from China but ended up having them made in BKK,

Thanks, but this is a US company, not a Chinese company.  My brother has been ordering glasses from them for years and years and have a 100% guarantee.  I was just worried about the duty, not really the glasses.  

Spectacles from the US should be 5% duty + 7%VAT on the CIF value.

If sent by a regular mail system rather than a courier you may get away with being charged nothing ???? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I use Zenni. 2 pairs of Varifocals £80. Still going strong after 18 months. Never paid customs.

16 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

I've ordered glasses online from Zenni several times.  Glasses made in and shipped from China.  Never had customs duties.

Zenni is what I am considering.  Thanks for the input.  Regular mail is always good.  Fedex is not so good as far as duties go.   I guess I'll give it a go.  Thanks again.

38 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

Zenni is what I am considering.  Thanks for the input.  Regular mail is always good.  Fedex is not so good as far as duties go.   I guess I'll give it a go.  Thanks again.

Zenni are Chinese, had about 5 pairs from them over the past 10 years, never any tax. Why would you think that firm is American?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Zenni are Chinese, had about 5 pairs from them over the past 10 years, never any tax. Why would you think that firm is American?

From the Zenni website "about us":

Doesn’t everyone deserve to look good while wearing an affordable pair of glasses? Thus Zenni was born in the San Francisco Bay Area - a natural fit in the home of forward-thinking, tech-savvy companies.

American company, but made in China....at least that is what they say.....????   A lot of American companies have their stuff made in China.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I had about 5 pairs from them over the past 10 years, never any tax.

Thanks for that input.   I've only had problems with tax with shoes, clothes and bags.  So I send anything I need or want to a friend in California and they send them to me "used".  It's worked so far.

19 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I know, even if they charge duty it will be cheaper, but I don't want to hassle the tax office if possible.

If there is tax to pay--then usually it is just collected at the post office, at least thats the experience I have had with different articles over the years--but I live outside of BKK.

1 hour ago, LivingNThailand said:

Thanks for that input.   I've only had problems with tax with shoes, clothes and bags.  So I send anything I need or want to a friend in California and they send them to me "used".  It's worked so far.

Small packages, purchased made and delivered from China usually aren't taxed in Thailand.

My last Zenni delivery .............. from China mainland via Hong Kong.

IMG_20230305_094752.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Small packages, purchased made and delivered from China usually aren't taxed in Thailand.

I have had only problems with clothing from US and Singapore for duties.  Usually carriers collect but I did have to go down to the tax office once in phuket town.  I just wanted to make sure my good deal stayed a good deal.  I think I’m good and will order them up.   Thank you everyone.  

I've used Zenni about half a dozen times. 

The product is faultless. And I have never been charged by customs for the imported glasses. Also the delivery is very quick. 

Also, despite Zenni being an American company, they can avoid the USA cartel rule of requiring an optometrist to sign off on an up-to-date prescription. In other words, you can simply tell them your prescription (which you can obtain cheaply by going to Rutnin Eye Hospital in Bangkok).

• Thanks 1