Is 3 BB better for me or not?

grain

I live out in the boonies of rural Pakthong Chai. For internet I use a DTAC sim, 30mbps unlimited data. I hotspot my smartphone and my laptop plus smart TV are connected to that. No complaints at all about the laptop. The smart TV however works great if I stick to YT, but when I watch other programs on RedBox TV or tubi and other such apps, then viewing becomes a problem with constant stops and those spinning circles. 

So would this be entirely a connection speed issue? And if so if I got 3BB with their 1gb download speed, would all be good? Or could the constant stops and spinning circles be due to other factors that may still exist even if I had 3 BB? 

Do you know that 3BB service your area? Have you checked that?

In my area they did not service but after a lot of waiting (4 months++)  and nagging and then paying a substantial amount they agreed to pull a cable from their nearest box (which is well over 5kms away).

No other options are available here, No True, No AIS Fiber.

I pay for 1000/500 but max speed I am getting is 3-400, but I am not complaining because my other option would be 4G ????

Edit: If it's better or not, you unfortunately have to find out, but I have no issues with Streaming Netflix, HBO (free from 3BB) and Disney Hotstar (free from AIS)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

In my area they did not service but after a lot of waiting (4 months++)  and nagging and then paying a substantial amount they agreed to pull a cable from their nearest box (which is well over 5kms away).

I pay for 1000/500 but max speed I am getting is 3-400, but I am not complaining because my other option would be 4G ????

Edit: If it's better or not, you unfortunately have to find out, but I have no issues with Streaming Netflix, HBO (free from 3BB) and Disney Hotstar (free from AIS)

Yes, it's in the area, the people across the road have it. 

OK thanks guys, it's good to get feedback from you all, guess we'll go ahead and order it. How about the package deals 3 BB have, they include a bunch of TV channels in the package...anyone got any comments on that? I presume some of these TV channels are in English.

We have 3BB & their streaming speeds are fine for youtube & Netflix - but we routinely have service interruptions once or twice weekly because of cable issues.  When we move house we will change to AIS

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MJCM said:

If your getting Disney Hotstar free that is a good deal as normallly AIS charge either B49 per month or B499 for 1 year access

https://www.ais.th/disney/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin71 said:

I have 3bb and pay about 740Bht per month for their giga tv .. English movie channels and wildlife and some others.. always good speeds...very reliable... very happy with 3bb (was with TOT before... waste of time and money)

Hope this helps..

Yes the guy next door has TOT and he kindly gave me his PW so I could test it, the speeds are no higher that my current DTAC, and the constant stopping and buffering is still there. We'll be going into the 3 BB office on Tue and will be looking at their giga TV deal.

A couple more questions for everyone. How important is the unload speed? I see with 3 BB they offer 1gb/100, 1gb/500, 1gb/700, 1gb/1gb....as I want it for downloading only (streaming TV) and I'm not often uploading anything. 

Also I notice 3BB deals are now for 24 months. Can you still just commit to 12 months, or is it 24 only?

10 minutes ago, grain said:

A couple more questions for everyone. How important is the unload speed? I see with 3 BB they offer 1gb/100, 1gb/500, 1gb/700, 1gb/1gb....as I want it for downloading only (streaming TV) and I'm not often uploading anything. 

Also I notice 3BB deals are now for 24 months. Can you still just commit to 12 months, or is it 24 only?

Do some research on what is the best router 3BB each province has it own selection of 3BB routers so are better than others when it comes to speed and wifi signal

• Like 1

Also check google playstore on your TV and make sure HBO GO and Disney Hotstar can be installed some members reported problems with Samsung TV as they have a different os to other brands

Make sure that you request a router that supports supports Wi-Fi 6

https://droidsans.com/test-wifi-6-router-3bb-upgrade/

Edited by vinny41
add
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, MJCM said:

@MJCM If you are only getting 300-400 Mbps download, you should open a ticket with 3BB and get them to investigate. When my package was upgraded to 1000/500, I couldn't get more than 500 Mbps download. I raised a ticket and the 3BB technician came and replaced the router. I now get > 900 Mbps download. I also upgraded my network cabling to cat 6 from cat5e.

Image1.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

If your getting Disney Hotstar free that is a good deal as normallly AIS charge either B49 per month or B499 for 1 year access

https://www.ais.th/disney/

That 499 THB is a promotion (1st March - 31st March) normally it's 799 THB.

But it was not exactly free but it's part of the 100GiB a Month Internet package (18xx THB per year). And as we (my wife and myself) both have that we have given access to the daughter and we also have one (you login with your Phone Number from AIS)

19 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

@MJCM If you are only getting 300-400 Mbps download, you should open a ticket with 3BB and get them to investigate. When my package was upgraded to 1000/500, I couldn't get more than 500 Mbps download. I raised a ticket and the 3BB technician came and replaced the router. I now get > 900 Mbps download. I also upgraded my network cabling to cat 6 from cat5e.

Image1.jpg

Thx,.

But they have come by very often especially during the rice harvest as they (3BB) hung the cable a bit low and the rice harvester snapped the cable a couple of times already, but we asked and there is nothing they can do, because we are 5km+ from their closest box which services another area, (and it's for them not worthwhile to install a box here as I am the only user in the Area) they already warned us for the slower speed that before they even installed it, but I couldn't care less because the alternative (4G) would be even worse.

This is a new Build and all of the cabling is Cat 6 ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Mutt Daeng

Forgot to add.

I am using the 3BB router ONLY for getting the Fiber in. Everything else is done with a separate ASUS Router so for example Wifi is turned off in the 3BB router the Asus handles that.

I asked them to put the 3BB router in Bridge (or as they say Bit) mode but they wouldn't do that.

These are my ASUS routers.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/aimesh-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-wi-fi-system-rt-ac68u-2-pack-p066016/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grain said:

One thing worth noting with 3BB.  If you pay for one year upfront, they give you 8% discount. 

I have had 3BB for over ten years from before they had fibre optic. I have always been very happy with them.

Every so often, I do a speed test, and if the speed has dropped too much (even if I have no problems), I call them and they either try and fix from their end, or send a technician.

I can stream Netflix, IPTV, AppleTV with rarely any problems.

There was a rumour that they were going to be taken over by AIS. I hope not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

@Mutt Daeng

Forgot to add.

I am using the 3BB router ONLY for getting the Fiber in. Everything else is done with a separate ASUS Router so for example Wifi is turned off in the 3BB router the Asus handles that.

I asked them to put the 3BB router in Bridge (or as they say Bit) mode but they wouldn't do that.

These are my ASUS routers.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/asus/aimesh-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-wi-fi-system-rt-ac68u-2-pack-p066016/

+1

I have the same Asus router.

I asked, and they sent a technician who put my 3BB router into bridge mode.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Also check google playstore on your TV and make sure HBO GO and Disney Hotstar can be installed some members reported problems with Samsung TV as they have a different os to other brands

I can recall that Disney Hotstar only works via the Internet Browser on our Samsung Smart TV (< 2 years old) maybe they improved it but since I switched to an Apple TV haven't tested it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grain said:

I have 1000/500 but only getting something like 400/200 (which is fine by me). But first those figures (so the 1000/500) are speeds WITHIN Thailand ONLY).

With that 400/200 I can

1 - download Files from my Server in Europe

2 - Stream Netflix / Hbo / Disney Hotstar without any buffering

3 - Upload files to my OneDrive / Google Drive / iCloud

4 - Backup our Phones to the Cloud

5 - Download Apps on my PC / Phones

etc etc

And for me personally I don't care how long it takes for # 1,3,4 and 5 to complete as I turn it on and go and do something else and usually when I come back to the PC it's done.

If Budget allows go for the 1000/500 (but again SPEED guaranteed to their Servers within THAILAND) and you can always Downgrade if it is too much ????

(also don't forget change a package is AFAIK a new contract so you are then again committed to the 1 or 2 year period (But I could be wrong about this)

Edited by MJCM
SpElLiNg
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, phetphet said:

+1

I have the same Asus router.

I asked, and they sent a technician who put my 3BB router into bridge mode.

You are lucky I asked them several times and they did not want to do it, NO idea why but NO issues.

I just use Double NAT

3BB IP Range 192.168.x.x

Asus (and all other devices on my Network) IP range 10.x.x.x

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Do some research on what is the best router 3BB each province has it own selection of 3BB routers so are better than others when it comes to speed and wifi signal

So how do I go about doing that research?

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

I have 1000/500 but only getting something like 400/200 (which is fine by me). But first those figures (so the 1000/500) are speeds WITHIN Thailand ONLY).

With that 400/200 I can

1 - download Files from my Server in Europe

2 - Stream Netflix / Hbo / Disney Hotstar without any buffering

3 - Upload files to my OneDrive / Google Drive / iCloud

4 - Backup our Phones to the Cloud

5 - Download Apps on my PC / Phones

etc etc

And for me personally I don't care how long it takes for # 1,3,4 and 5 to complete as I turn it on and go and do something else and usually when I come back to the PC it's done.

If Budget allows go for the 1000/500 (but again SPEED guaranteed to their Servers within THAILAND) and you can always Downgrade if it is too much ????

(also don't forget change a package is AFAIK a new contract so you are then again committed to the 1 or 2 year period (But I could be wrong about this)

OK thanks I'll go for the 1gb/500 deal, it's only slightly more expensive.

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

One thing worth noting with 3BB.  If you pay for one year upfront, they give you 8% discount. 

I have had 3BB for over ten years from before they had fibre optic. I have always been very happy with them.

Every so often, I do a speed test, and if the speed has dropped too much (even if I have no problems), I call them and they either try and fix from their end, or send a technician.

I can stream Netflix, IPTV, AppleTV with rarely any problems.

There was a rumour that they were going to be taken over by AIS. I hope not.

Thanks, that's a good tip, that would be nearly 700Bt discount, well worth getting.

6 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Make sure that you request a router that supports supports Wi-Fi 6

https://droidsans.com/test-wifi-6-router-3bb-upgrade/

my smart TV is TCL, android OS

I have 3BB fibre in my condo in Pattaya and get 980 Mb/s download if I use an ethernet cable instead of wireless to connect to the router. It rarely has any outage except one 5 day episode when a vehicle took out some infrastructure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grain said:

my smart TV is TCL, android OS

So if you have google play on your TV search for HBO GO and disney Hotstar apps if they are available install them you wouldn't get access to anything as app will inform you that its a subscription service some people in the past when they did a search on their TV's they were unable to locate the apps due to TV os

• Like 1