Tourist attack: Former English teacher settles case for 50,000 baht - bouncers/manager sacked

webfact

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Wonder who got costs, or what the lawyer etc cost him.

I've never heard of costs being awarded in Thai courts (I could be wrong), but this wasn't a court case anyway. Damages were agreed and paid to hush this all up for the local businesses. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, mran66 said:

Looking forward to see cash stripped Russians and other begpackers to go to clubs to order "free" water and acting to get slapped. 

Inevitable, obvious nonsense. We heard it when a Thai lady got a big payout after a groping by an Indian. Ain't happened since.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident has not affected his positive feelings towards Thailand.

Mr Carkhuff now works in the water industry in the US.

.... But has "the incident" affected positive feelings towards bottled water? 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I've never heard of costs being awarded in Thai courts (I could be wrong), but this wasn't a court case anyway. Damages were agreed and paid to hush this all up for the local businesses. 

This has not been "hushed up", the legal action against the guards is ongoing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Wonder who got costs, or what the lawyer etc cost him.

He probably thought it was 50k USD, bet you he won't be happy when he gets home and finds out it was baht.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Confused 2

They stated that six members of the security team that were at the pub on the night in question have been sacked along with the manager.

Six bouncers binned (security team) & 50K paid out in compensation. My advice would be say nothing further, keep stum & leg-it. This is a very rare out-come. 

• Thumbs Up 1

50000 baht.  

MINUS standard lawyer fee of 49,999. 

Great.  Can't go broke taking profits they tell me!!!!  No sir reee bob!!!!!!  can't go broke taking profits!!!!

work 24/7 online.   took 4 satang in profit this month.   Can't go broke taking profits!!!!  

never understood this saying.

maybe they'll pay him with promotional discounts to that soi water they sell!!!   you know, get liters and liters (not litres, OK!!!) for like three baht and get sick that night!!!! lol.   Osmosis they call it.

well, can't go broke taking profits!!! lol

• Confused 3

17 minutes ago, Millcx said:

Good Con Move by a mouthy Yank … “Let’s go Brandon”

His grandfather probably helped save the UK from being overtaken by the Germans!!!!

USA, USA, USA.

if only more people were "mouthy" and stood up for what is right in this world and fight the good fight against evil.      Note:  I'll define good and evil.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Still, a lawyer was involved from what I read... but you are correct, resolved too quickly for a court to be involved.... probably a divvy out between the lawyer, the victim and the police!

• Like 1

I'm sure his Thai language skills helped him press his case to his lawyer, the owners of the bar, and the police. Don't let anyone tell you language skills never come in handy here. Congrats are in order, even if the lawyer's fee took a big bite out of the settlement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

If this dude wants to keep enjoying Pattaya and Bangkok and bars and whatever, you better say LOS is the best of the best of the best, even after you get beat down .....

handcuffed and slapped!!!!   great time, love it!!!!   recommended for the family!!!  5 star review!!!!  sure, I'm super happy, no hard feelings!!!!

in America, sue everyone.......make sure it's on video, sue more people, collect 100 billion baht and THEN go to Thailand.

We get off the plane knowing we might get beat down and handcuffed and it's fun!!!!  lol

Who is 'we'? Got an imaginary friend with you? ???? Some of 'us' don't ever think that, doesn't even cross our mind because we behave ourselves.

The only way you can get "Beat down and handcuffed" (I like how you know that handcuffed is one word, but don't know that beatdown is too, by the way.) is if you are being an obnoxious loudmouth. Foreigner or not. If you worry about this at all, it's because you frequent bars like a degenerate with zero real hobbies other than getting smashed on cheap Thai whiskey and collecting STDs from Bargirls, OR you look like an easy target. 

Real easy solution to that, stop frequenting bars at shady hours of the night, and if you do, stop getting blackout drunk and making a scene over pennies-on-the-dollar. ????????????

As far as "not looking like a target" well that just depends on your stature / build in real life. The guy in this story was obviously an easy target, I'm surprised his giraffe neck didn't get broken from those two slaps.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the guy deserved a slap? I know thai bouncers most of the time are gagging to beat someone, but a lot of times these smug looking prats, like him are trying to show off, be the big man in front of the ladies ?? ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

It has been hushed up. The local businesses got together to make sure no names leaked out. The guards were sacked from their jobs to appease the man attacked and the authorities. 

I trust you see the difference. 

The bouncers will be hired again at other connected businesses and pay back the 50 thousand baht.