Thai health officials worried about growing number of fat kids

webfact

18 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Our favorite salad is sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on a bed of salad greens.  You can also add shredded carrots and finely sliced onions.

And it is unreasonable expensive in compare to junk food...specially if you think for Baht/kcal

A balanced diet includes protein, carbs, fats and fiber. Salt needs vary by individual, generally related to one's blood pressure (Go get really sweaty wearing a cotton shirt. Let it dry. If you see salt lines on your shirt, you probably don't have to worry about too much salt intake). Carbs have gotten a bad name, but long term health requires carb intake. The latest research carried out at major medical schools like Stanford is finding that the keto diet, while leading to weight loss, has some negative long terms effects, particularly in how the body utilizes produces/insulin, but it also affects the gut microbiome and messes up hormone production. Ideally one never gets fat so never needs to adopt whatever the latest fad diet is. Certainly nobody gets obese overnight, so frankly there is no excuse. Deal with weight gain early, not after 50 kgs are added on.

Fat kids lead to fat adults, since it is during childhood when the body builds up adipose cells. Rarely do adipose cells disappear; they expand or contract as the energy and fluid contained within is extracted. Thai kids are making themselves set for an obese adulthood, just as kids are in many other countries.

In my estimation, the average expat in Thailand is obese. Spare tires, beer bellies, lack of definition due to blubber everywhere....rarely do I see an expat over the age of 40 who is fit. Most waddle from meal to meal and bar to bar. Perhaps they don't care, but it isn't doing them any good. They suffer Type II diabetes or are on the verge of it. Their immune systems are shot. Their hormones get messed up so, among other things, they cannot get it up without the 'blue pill'. They are mentally weak, undisciplined, lazy and lack self control. They get aches and pains they attribute to age, when in reality it is their weight and lack of exercise. If they've made a calculation that being slovenly and looking 8 months pregnant is a cost worth paying so they can eat and drink themselves silly, good for them. It's their life (and likely early, painful death).

By the way, one does not void out fat from the backside; in essence one exhales fat. The C in CO2 is from the carbon chains in fats and sugars after the bonds have been broken. The OH part joins with another H to form water and some gets peed out.

The poster who noted Michael Phelps' diet when he was training revealed a truth about carbs. Phelps consumed thousands of grams of carbs a day, yet he had body fat of between 5-8% and a resting heart rate of 45. The carbs fueled his activity. Calories in-calories out.

To understand the right diet for a person, one must do a complete blood and hormone profile, because one size does not fit all. Still, the basic equation remains roughly true: Calories in - calories out = surplus or deficit. Cut back on portions, exercise more, and the lbs/kgs will drop without messing up one's hormones, gut microbiome or how the body works with insulin. It would take longer than the keto diet, but with far fewer consequences.

Or...just don't allow oneself to get fat in the first place. Nobody goes to bed svelte and wakes up like most beached whale expats. It takes a total lack of effort and self-control to get blubbery.

1 minute ago, Walker88 said:

A balanced diet includes protein, carbs, fats and fiber. Salt needs vary by individual, generally related to one's blood pressure (Go get really sweaty wearing a cotton shirt. Let it dry. If you see salt lines on your shirt, you probably don't have to worry about too much salt intake). Carbs have gotten a bad name, but long term health requires carb intake. The latest research carried out at major medical schools like Stanford is finding that the keto diet, while leading to weight loss, has some negative long terms effects, particularly in how the body utilizes produces/insulin, but it also affects the gut microbiome and messes up hormone production. Ideally one never gets fat so never needs to adopt whatever the latest fad diet is. Certainly nobody gets obese overnight, so frankly there is no excuse. Deal with weight gain early, not after 50 kgs are added on.

Fat kids lead to fat adults, since it is during childhood when the body builds up adipose cells. Rarely do adipose cells disappear; they expand or contract as the energy and fluid contained within is extracted. Thai kids are making themselves set for an obese adulthood, just as kids are in many other countries.

In my estimation, the average expat in Thailand is obese. Spare tires, beer bellies, lack of definition due to blubber everywhere....rarely do I see an expat over the age of 40 who is fit. Most waddle from meal to meal and bar to bar. Perhaps they don't care, but it isn't doing them any good. They suffer Type II diabetes or are on the verge of it. Their immune systems are shot. Their hormones get messed up so, among other things, they cannot get it up without the 'blue pill'. They are mentally weak, undisciplined, lazy and lack self control. They get aches and pains they attribute to age, when in reality it is their weight and lack of exercise. If they've made a calculation that being slovenly and looking 8 months pregnant is a cost worth paying so they can eat and drink themselves silly, good for them. It's their life (and likely early, painful death).

By the way, one does not void out fat from the backside; in essence one exhales fat. The C in CO2 is from the carbon chains in fats and sugars after the bonds have been broken. The OH part joins with another H to form water and some gets peed out.

The poster who noted Michael Phelps' diet when he was training revealed a truth about carbs. Phelps consumed thousands of grams of carbs a day, yet he had body fat of between 5-8% and a resting heart rate of 45. The carbs fueled his activity. Calories in-calories out.

To understand the right diet for a person, one must do a complete blood and hormone profile, because one size does not fit all. Still, the basic equation remains roughly true: Calories in - calories out = surplus or deficit. Cut back on portions, exercise more, and the lbs/kgs will drop without messing up one's hormones, gut microbiome or how the body works with insulin. It would take longer than the keto diet, but with far fewer consequences.

Or...just don't allow oneself to get fat in the first place. Nobody goes to bed svelte and wakes up like most beached whale expats. It takes a total lack of effort and self-control to get blubbery.

The challenge for most of these people and it is the same around the world is that Parents have not learned to say NO.  Instead of letting johny or Susie throw a temper tantrum and punishing them they give them what they want.

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenge for most of these people and it is the same around the world is that Parents have not learned to say NO.  Instead of letting johny or Susie throw a temper tantrum and punishing them they give them what they want.

Different world mate, honestly! Food and smartphones are ubiquitous these days. I generally don't agree with 'I blame the parents' arguments.  Of course, there is some truth in what you say, but other factors are so overwhelming.

4 hours ago, h90 said:

And it is unreasonable expensive in compare to junk food...specially if you think for Baht/kcal

My Thai girl friend and I vacation in Thailand once a year and I am the cook both here and in Hawaii.  We spend most of our time in her home town which is in a rural area.  The closest markets are  15 minutes away so  in between our trips to town I buy a variety of produce and fresh meats from the vegetable truck which does not carry junk foods.  I am not in a position to compare prices, but do find the prices of junk food in 7 Eleven and Lotus are not really that cheap. 

For snacks, we eat in season fruits, peanuts, dates and popcorn., along with yogurt.  Today, I fried taro for my girl and her sister.   Junk foods are mostly reserved while on the road.

ls this what he is saying ! Oh so this makes it OK! he's says lm son of rich hotelier in Chang mai if US mix Indian citizenship I'm sorta confused Farang but not farang , still really does not look very good in photos " bit of beating to say the least quiet few bruises let alone aparently pus__ got bitten or ? whatever etc,  bumped into the bed this & that story here come pay out ????rightly so if True . Definitely takes as one person quoted here today on this topic ! takes Aussie or Brits off front page for a day 

Edited by Mad mick

1 hour ago, Mad mick said:

ls this what he is saying ! Oh so this makes it OK! he's says lm son of rich hotelier in Chang mai if US mix Indian citizenship I'm sorta confused Farang but not farang , still really does not look very good in photos " bit of beating to say the least quiet few bruises let alone aparently pus__ got bitten or ? whatever etc,  bumped into the bed this & that story here come pay out ????rightly so if True . Definitely takes as one person quoted here today on this topic ! takes Aussie or Brits off front page for a day 

Maybe better if you post your ramblings on the correct article?

4 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

My Thai girl friend and I vacation in Thailand once a year and I am the cook both here and in Hawaii.  We spend most of our time in her home town which is in a rural area.  The closest markets are  15 minutes away so  in between our trips to town I buy a variety of produce and fresh meats from the vegetable truck which does not carry junk foods.  I am not in a position to compare prices, but do find the prices of junk food in 7 Eleven and Lotus are not really that cheap. 

For snacks, we eat in season fruits, peanuts, dates and popcorn., along with yogurt.  Today, I fried taro for my girl and her sister.   Junk foods are mostly reserved while on the road.

Pork I buy at the moment at 250 Baht/kg on the market....that is already bad, but the vegetable on the market in Bangkok aren't cheap....OK no problem for me, but think for a lower Thai salary. I don't know the 7/11 junk food prices but what my staff buys something on the market (still junk food) is often surprisingly cheap. But I guess market is way cheaper in rural area than in Bangkok (I have seen early morning the market opens packing from Macro supermarket)

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Keto involves Ketosis, the post example above doesn't, learn the basics

Ketosis is just a normal burning of ketone bodies which is complete normal and you do the same at fasting.
You may confuse it with Ketoacidosis which is pathologic.
In colder climate zones we were in ketosis every winter in the stone age as there were no fruits.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:54 AM, Will B Good said:

Interesting. We had a discussion today about the kids in the village.......all flatly refuse to work in the fields and spend all day hammering about on their exhaust, modified motorbikes........the times they are a changin'.

I see a big clash coming in the future.  If kids keep getting worse, then eventually "Thainess" is going to slip away.

I wonder what the tipping point will be...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, h90 said:

Pork I buy at the moment at 250 Baht/kg on the market....that is already bad, but the vegetable on the market in Bangkok aren't cheap....OK no problem for me, but think for a lower Thai salary. I don't know the 7/11 junk food prices but what my staff buys something on the market (still junk food) is often surprisingly cheap. But I guess market is way cheaper in rural area than in Bangkok (I have seen early morning the market opens packing from Macro supermarket)

Today I bought 1/2 kilo of cucumbers, one head of cauliflower, 1 small head of won bok (Napa cabbage),  1 kilo of boiled bamboo shoots, 1 kilo of belly pork and  3/4 kilo of pork ribs, all for 265 baht from the vegetable truck. 

The meat was fresh as I used some of the belly pork  for our dinner and marinated the ribs for tomorrow.

I also bought a lot of organic green leaf lettuce from a neighbor and was given 5 large heads of organic bok choi as a bonus.

• Like 1

If health officials were really concerned about kids getting fat they would inform parents that the human body's response to ingested poisons is to create fat to encapsulate the poisons for temporary storage until it can be eliminated.  If you don't eat poisons, no fat is created.

The way I reversed the obesity cycle was to quit poisoning myself with denatured food and eliminate the poisons encqpsulated in fat around my body by exercising, a natural diet, fasting, and controlling my mental state and stress to allow the magnificently designed human body to function as intended plus a magic bullet way.

These empty expressions of concern by those masquerading as experts are  insulting.

14 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

If health officials were really concerned about kids getting fat they would inform parents that the human body's response to ingested poisons is to create fat to encapsulate the poisons for temporary storage until it can be eliminated.  If you don't eat poisons, no fat is created.

The way I reversed the obesity cycle was to quit poisoning myself with denatured food and eliminate the poisons encqpsulated in fat around my body by exercising, a natural diet, fasting, and controlling my mental state and stress to allow the magnificently designed human body to function as intended plus a magic bullet way.

These empty expressions of concern by those masquerading as experts are  insulting.

Surely the main drivers were eating less and exercising?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hawaiian said:

Today I bought 1/2 kilo of cucumbers, one head of cauliflower, 1 small head of won bok (Napa cabbage),  1 kilo of boiled bamboo shoots, 1 kilo of belly pork and  3/4 kilo of pork ribs, all for 265 baht from the vegetable truck. 

The meat was fresh as I used some of the belly pork  for our dinner and marinated the ribs for tomorrow.

I also bought a lot of organic green leaf lettuce from a neighbor and was given 5 large heads of organic bok choi as a bonus.

At what time do you serve dinner? I don't want to be late...????
Amazing! Cheaper than in Bangkok.

6 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

No, you get fat from eating too much. Denaturated food is bad but there is no poison that accumulate in the fat like ddt would do. And even if it would accumulate you need about 7000 kcal in excess to build 1kg fat, if you don't consume it, you won't get fat no matter how you poison yourself.

After you ate a better diet, you got slim because you ate healthy.

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai from the Department of Health improving education to parents maybe a better start. Most Thais know lots of sugar in food is no good but parents keep piling it in kids food. Health should have monthly mobile health seminars to teach the parents, not only with the cities but in area villages as well. Have seen it myself parents cooking food for one night using more than 1/2 cup of sugar one meal.