Easy nearby country to get tourist Visa

Summary of current status: I have run up against difficult immigration at HCMC Vietnam. They appear to be scrutinizing applications hard. There is a fair chance I am denied due to onward ticket not being verifiable and long history of stays in Thailand. Prior thread

I am considering flying into another nearby country using Visa On Arrival and abandoning my ticket to CNX (Chiang Mai Airport) in case I am rejected and my passport marked as "no legitimate reason to enter Thailand" as a local has warned me it might. In Pattaya I was told by local companies that land borders are bad right now. Also, Laos and Cambodia are bad.

So I see a few options left

1. Hanoi

2. Kuala Lumpur

3. Singapore

4. Manila

Are any of these options good for getting a Thai tourist visa? I would need visa on arrival, waiting for an embassy appointment would take too long. I am a US Citizen and I've been in Thailand about 9 years mostly on EDU visas.

Edited by Hal65

If you do end up getting a rejection stamp from HCMC, that stamp alone would make it pretty much impossible to get a tourist visa anywhere nearby.

Hanoi has been even more difficult than HCMC from recent reports. Singapore and Manila have been bad since long before Covid. Kuala Lumpur might be okay, but read their requirements carefully.

Why didn't you consider Vientiane or Savannakhet? Probably the easiest nearby places.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you do end up getting a rejection stamp from HCMC, that stamp alone would make it pretty much impossible to get a tourist visa anywhere nearby.

Hanoi has been even more difficult than HCMC from recent reports. Singapore and Manila have been bad since long before Covid. Kuala Lumpur might be okay, but read their requirements carefully.

Why didn't you consider Vientiane or Savannakhet? Probably the easiest nearby places.

The school and visa runners I spoke to in Pattaya said not Laos for now. I don't know why. I sure wish I took their advice.

So if I am rejected in HCMC should I consider a Visa on Arrival at Chiang Mai to be impossible too? What is left then? Go back to the US? Is it even possible to apply for a tourist visa there successfully?

Edited by Hal65

Go to Singapore and get a 60 day tourist visa. (Forget about KL. They have a two month waiting list for visa applications.)
As far as I can see on the website, you fill out a form and it's processed on the same day.
I came in on my third visa waiver last month: In for 45 plus extension - out for three weeks (done this three times).
The IO at Phuket told me that I couldn't come back in again on a waiver and I would need to have a visa in my passport.
So while I will try to extend my 45 day for another 30 days down in Patong, which I think should be fine.
Next time I'll probably try the embassy in Singapore and stay out until I turn the big five-oh in June and get an O-A.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hal65 said:

The school and visa runners I spoke to in Pattaya said not Laos for now. I don't know why. I sure wish I took their advice.

Don't you mean you wish you had ignored them? They seem to have given you bad advice. Laos is the best option.

• Like 1

9 years here with ED visas and tourist visas? thats impressive. Anyway, I would recommend thaivisaservice.com, they helped my friend out when he had some huge problems with his work permit and wrong dates in his passport etc. 

I have also used the same company for all my border runs, and tourist visa applications in Laos. Never any issue. 

• Like 1

The easiest reliable option for a tourist visa is probably Savannakhet, then crossing into Mukdahan Thailand, followed by using fly-ride (Nok Air or Air Asia) or buses for further travel within Thailand.

Another place that is pretty good for tourist visas is Yangon. However, that would necessitate either returning to Thailand by air (OK to Chiang Mai but possibly risky to Bangkok).; or a nightmare return journey.

Recent reports still suggest crossing into Thailand for a visa exempt entry from Vientiane via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai is still OK. That could be a decent stop gap solution.

Are you from a country eligible for Thailand e-visa applications? Applying from outside home country is dubious. Officially, it may not be allowed. However, as e-visa applications spread, it may become totally impractical to insist on home country applications for tourist visas.

Good luck! I think long stay tourism in Thailand has pretty much become a thing of the past.

My opinion go Philippines & stay lm leaving Vn May not to rtn visas runs each month & costly Free entry Philippines 1 month & can renew Tourist visas internally upto 3 years extend 2 month next move back onto 6 monthly visas =$30 US per month + Philippines ID Card on 6 monthly visa or pay 12months upto you 7000+ Islands immigration offices in every major or province city simple easy fast & your welcome! lived in Philippines 7 months should of stayed prior to going Vietnam for past 5 months also lived Thailand many times  as things changed so much with long-term stay Thailand out for me ! Once in Philippines that's it for me... lm single so no attachment to Thailand as in past RIP else where no hassle free move around,  negative food infrastructure wifi brown outs is a given in Philippines, positive visas + English widely spoken people are friendly easy going 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

Are you from a country eligible for Thailand e-visa applications? Applying from outside home country is dubious. Officially, it may not be allowed. However, as e-visa applications spread, it may become totally impractical to insist on home country applications for tourist visas.

Good luck! I think long stay tourism in Thailand has pretty much become a thing of the past.

I am from the US, not sure if Americans can do eVisas?

Sad to hear long stays are dying out. Edu visas have been my staple, I think they are still going strong, have you heard differently?

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

Sad to hear long stays are dying out. Edu visas have been my staple, I think they are still going strong, have you heard differently?

Serial Non Ed visas to study at informal schools have become more difficult to get. You cannot just study Thai for years on end. If you can enroll at a university or other formal high level education institution, it seems still to be OK.

• Like 1