Biden proposes tax increase for those making over $400K to boost Medicare funding

Scott

54 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

What are you saying?

Success = budget?

I say success = improved health

Medicare is successful because it improves the health of the most at-risk of our fellow citizens.

Health care costs rise.

More people participate in Medicare over time, both new members and those who's lives are extended.

Feel to propose alternatives.

Now I know how third-grade teachers feel.

You claimed: "It's a "proposal" to fund the most successful health care initiative in the United States." 

I'm only asking why it needs more funding if it's already successful, if you don't know, just say you don't know. 

I thought you were a third-grade teacher. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

You claimed: "It's a "proposal" to fund the most successful health care initiative in the United States." 

I'm only asking why it needs more funding if it's already successful, if you don't know, just say you don't know. 

I thought you were a third-grade teacher. 

Apparently, you believe that "successful" or even  "most successful" are the same as "perfect"? 

56 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The biggest ones don't. 

So now your back peddling. You said that "...most US corporations don't pay any tax." Do you believe that, or were you lying? 

Now, when you get called out for making false claims, you change you claim to "The biggest ones don't." which is also clearly false.

You make a false claim and post a link that does not in any way support your false claim, and when you get called on it, you make another false claim. 

I don't blame you, it's all you know. 

Just now, Yellowtail said:

I don't believe that at all, why do you ask? 

because of what you said:

"I'm only asking why it needs more funding if it's already successful"

Why  is being successful relevant?

Now if you had written "I'm only asking why it needs more funding" that would be sensible.

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

because of what you said:

"I'm only asking why it needs more funding if it's already successful"

Why  is being successful relevant?

Now if you had written "I'm only asking why it needs more funding" that would be sensible.

Great, so we're clear now? 

22 hours ago, placeholder said:

First of all, this is about Medicare, not Social Security. And he said he wants to tax the wealthiest. I'm not sure why the line was drawn at $400,000 but if you're goal is to tax the wealthiest then you've got do draw the line somewhere.

Only the most naive individual would believe it will stop at those making 400K.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I did not make a comment, I asked a question. 

Well, since the sentence is correctly punctuated, technically not.

"I'm only asking why it needs more funding if it's already successful, if you don't know, just say you don't know. "

But even so, how does that change the irrelevance of 'if it's already successful."

10 hours ago, berrec said:

Why collect more tax from Americans and corporations when what you collect now is wasted on unnecessary programs. 

US government don't have a current tax collection problem, they have a wasteful spending problem.

9 Crazy Examples of Government Waste in 2022

Paul's annual report details more than $54B in wasteful federal government spending

Watchdog calls out the government’s most ridiculous spending

I concur. For example in many countries a large percentage of covid payments went to those that should not be eligible. Terrible waste. Sadly that is how it works with large government under democrats and republicans. It should be a priority to upgrade government IT systems for example to better identify and target receipts and payments and reduce waste.

However, all things being equal, in my opinion the government raising money on those earning over $400,000 and for large super profitable corporations can result in fairer outcomes. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So now your back peddling. You said that "...most US corporations don't pay any tax." Do you believe that, or were you lying? 

Now, when you get called out for making false claims, you change you claim to "The biggest ones don't." which is also clearly false.

You make a false claim and post a link that does not in any way support your false claim, and when you get called on it, you make another false claim. 

I don't blame you, it's all you know. 

You're just being pedantic for the sake of it and point scoring. My point was made and remains valid. 

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

If the funding from this tax rise is adequate to protect Medicare, why does it require naivete to believe it?

Naive nature is required to believe they'll stop at 400K. 

• Haha 1

I absolutely support this proposal and I will continue to support this proposal right up until I earn more than $399,000 a year ????

For many years I had a pretty good job and earned a good income.  I also had a small farm.  I thought my tax bill was high.  

I took a job overseas, so I resigned my job, turned the farm over to one of the kids.  I was unemployed for 8 months (a large part of that was taken up for various paperwork).  Much to my surprise, when I did my taxes, I ended up paying more than I had ever paid in my entire life.