Steak for cooking at home

SidJames

Where is the best place to buy top quality steak to cook at home?

Special dinner for the missus so I want to push the boat out so I am asking about quality rather than value.

Big C Extra has a nice range but are there other options in town?

I buy steak in Foodland, in Bangkok. As far as I know they also have at least one shop in Pattaya.

Local beef, Australian beef, maybe others. It's good - but not the best.

I saw steak, the raw meat, for more than 10,000B per kg in shops. Not sure if that is your definition of "quality rather than value".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

"I am asking about quality rather than value."

Tops in the Central Mall? 

had steak from tops Lampang last week Australian brand was good

had also local brand /cut not good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Not sure what all that waffle is you have posted but for certain none of them are steak.

the term "steak" comes from a word than meant meat on a stick. Over the years various interpretations have evolved with a tendency for some to think it means a particular cut of beef that has been grilled.

I have seen many a horrified look when "steak tartare" or "steak a cheval" put in front of them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SidJames said:

Big C Extra has a nice range

That's where I usually buy it, I like their Aussie, US and NZ fillets. My favourite beef, though, is Argentinian, it has a unique flavour, but I've never found good Argentinian fillet steaks in the shops here, only in the restaurants. I had one in Patrick's in Soi Diana last Saturday and it was excellent, while a year or two back I bought one to cook at home from Foodmart and ended up giving it to the dogs. Villa also has decent steaks, though I prefer them from Big C Extra.

• Thumbs Up 2

Locally at our Makro, been hit & miss, to the point, I don't bother any more.

When at Hua Hin, Gourmet Markets, if they have 2 for 1 ribeyes that looks good, I'll pick some up, and actually have 'You Hunt, We Cook' prepare for me, and makes a nice lunch/dinner while there.

Only place I've bought beef steak in quite some time.  And not cheap if not 2/1.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Don't know where you are but Central Food Halls have primo quality grass fed Aussie beef.

A western acquaitance / buddy had been buying 1 or 3 outstanding steaks from Oz every time he went to his local Central food hall, all quite expensive.

He had saved up about 20 steaks in his chest freezer then suddenly had a severe stroke and died.

He left a detailed will but the stock of steaks not mentioned. Several of his western buddies tried to kamoy 1 or 2 or 3 steaksbut the deceaseds' Thai son caught them and locked the door to the room where the chest feezer was.

Eventually the son found an opportunity to make a simple announcement, several farng present:

"I also like very good steak and my dad knew how to buy excellent steaks. It's now all mine and I will cook the steaks one by one as dad taught me for myself and my wife, no further discussion on this." 

• Thumbs Up 1

In Pattaya: Best beef at Villa or Foodland, Tenderloin. And that's it. Imported Australian if possible.

We buy something else only in emergeny cases.

Edited by moogradod

I do occasionally like an Aussie or New Zealand tenderloin steak and I get them from either Makro or Big C.....

Makro occasionally has the Australian tenderloin at a knockdown price, whereas Big C has the New Zealand equivalent in a "buy one, get one free" (by Jotta) promotion, which is what I've just recently purchased.

Together with asparagus and a stilton and cream sauce, just my ideal dinner, of course, accompanied by a nice bottle of red (Aussie, Italian or Californian).

Edited by xylophone
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

For those prices, it better be ... ฿1000 / kg for ground beef ????

+ del charge unless spending 3k

Cheap it ain't, but the OP asked for quality and, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, roquefort said:

Cheap it ain't, but the OP asked for quality and, like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

There's inexpensive/don't expect much, then the thrift/value for money, hit & miss mostly, then excellent/pricey, worth it for the discerning diner, or even not....then there is silly/marketed  & overly priced.

฿1000 / kg for ground beef, falls into silly land.  Doesn't even state what cut of beef it's from.   At least be maybe some kind of short rib, rib eye or sirloin combo.

Edited by KhunLA

Nothing wrong with frozen beef. It is how you handle it once you gradually thaw it.

We used to leave sirloin & tenderloin in the bottom of the fridge for 3 weeks still sealed  in the cryovac.

Tender & juicy.

Always leave out of fridge an hour before grilling & after cooking should rest for 4 minutes minimum

Most beef in underaged

• Like 1