A GOP war on 'woke'? Most Americans view the term as a positive, USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds

Scott

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

For example, the inner-city schools run by the left are so bad that many poor students are not able score high enough on the SAT to qualify for university. The left's solution is to lower admission standards and make taking the SAT optional. When not enough poor students graduate, the left's solution is to lower graduation standards. 

Run by the left? What are you on about?

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 10:50 AM, Eric Loh said:

Republicans policies and actions are toxically unpopular and yet they continue to pushed past the boundaries of acceptability by the general public and even some conservatives. It's like a death wish. 

Demonstrably false.

According to the National Conference on State Legislatures, there are 4,021 Republican legislators and 3,273 Democratic.  46% of US states have both houses and the governorship controlled by Republicans.  Democrats have 29%.  The others are divided.

https://www.ncsl.org/about-state-legislatures/state-partisan-composition

For the Woke, democracy is a threat to 'democracy'.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2023 at 4:55 PM, RocketDog said:

Suppression of abortion rights?

The vast majority of Americans favor abortion rights.

I am personally 100% in favor of a woman's complete right to their reproductive system, period.  That said, there is no 'right' to abortion in the US.  There are state laws that permit it and for nearly 50 years there was a judicial opinion allowing it.  The latest Supreme Court opinion pushed it back to the states.

If the Democratic Party was such a staunch supporter of women's right to an abortion, why didn't they manage to pass a national law legalizing it for 50 years?  FYI, that's all that's needed...then and now.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Which one is Sam Smith? He identifies as non binary. Do you have the slightest clue what non binary in agender sense means?

As free and sentient beings we are all entitled to our own opinions, thoughts and for that matter, identities.  Others having the same basis, as free and sentient beings, do NOT have to accept, 'celebrate', approve or agree with you, as they may have a different opinion, thought or identity.

If you're a degenerate or a hoarder or an angry old man or a sanctimonious virtue signaler....you're free to be what you want to be.  I don't have to 'celebrate' your choice.

49 minutes ago, Lorenzo Valla said:

As free and sentient beings we are all entitled to our own opinions, thoughts and for that matter, identities.  Others having the same basis, as free and sentient beings, do NOT have to accept, 'celebrate', approve or agree with you, as they may have a different opinion, thought or identity.

If you're a degenerate or a hoarder or an angry old man or a sanctimonious virtue signaler....you're free to be what you want to be.  I don't have to 'celebrate' your choice.

They need to accept science and established medical practice or be risk being labelled as ignorant. Ignorants questioning experts is a loser. 

Humanity has  advanced through building on science not in spite of it. 

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They are trying to make decency compassion the capacity to see both sides of an issue knowledge ideas creativity a (woke) term to me and obviously to the majority of Americans its not gonna fly.dare I say their whole woke gambit is unamerican?I certainly think so!

On 3/9/2023 at 6:00 PM, ozimoron said:

Uneducated ignorant maybe but not "non-woke".

On 3/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, ozimoron said:

Dumb as dumb gets. 

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Scientifically ignorant but you'll offer your opinion anyway. 

All speech is free, but apparently some speech is more free.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

I'm often surprised how misinformed my fellow citizens are. I just assume they learned some basic concepts.

The fact that you don't understand the difference between a law passed by Congress and signed by President, and a judicial opinion is fairly startling.  Yes, it was correct that a previous SCOTUS opinion supported the right to an abortion.  Judicial opinions are not laws and they can, and often are, overturned.  As this one, unfortunately was.

If in the last 50 years a Congress passed a law protecting a woman's ability to get an abortion, it would take precedence over all over states' restrictions and no one would be trying to place 9 judges' opinions over the will of the people.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What makes you think that free speech and criticism of speech are incompatible?

Stick to commenting on those subjects that you either know about, or are directed to you.  In this case, neither situation applies.

Edited by Lorenzo Valla
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

Would point out the American Constitution doesn't mention women at all.

https://www.lwv.org/blog/make-womens-history-add-era-constitution#:~:text=Despite Abigail Adams's famous advice,not mention women at all.

"Despite Abigail Adams’s famous advice to her husband John Adams to “remember the ladies,” he and the rest of the founders left any mention of women out of the founding documents. As a result, the U.S. Constitution does not mention women at all. "

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lorenzo Valla said:

The fact that you don't understand the difference between a law passed by Congress and signed by President, and a judicial opinion is fairly startling.  Yes, it was correct that a previous SCOTUS opinion supported the right to an abortion.  Judicial opinions are not laws and they can, and often are, overturned.  As this one, unfortunately was.

If in the last 50 years a Congress passed a law protecting a woman's ability to get an abortion, it would take precedence over all over states' restrictions and no one would be trying to place 9 judges' opinions over the will of the people.

The U.S. has three branches of government so no one person  or group has absolute power.  Unfortunate for whom?  Depends what side of the issue you are on.

3 hours ago, Lorenzo Valla said:

Stick to commenting on those subjects that you either know about, or are directed to you.  In this case, neither situation applies.

So someone disagrees with you or criticizes you, and you try to shut him up. I don’t know if you realize it, but didn’t you just prove Placeholder’s point?

On 3/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, BritManToo said:

How I view 'woke' ........

2. Rejection of traditional morality, which is primarily carried out by the promotion of sexually deviant lifestyles such as homosexuality and transgender.

Britman, can I just confirm that this is actually what you mean and that you consider homosexuals to be sexual deviants?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Britman, can I just confirm that this is actually what you mean and that you consider homosexuals to be sexual deviants?

Normal biology for all mammals is penis + vagina = baby

Anything other than that would be deviant behaviour.

No need to pick on homosexuals,

Oral sex between heterosexuals would count as deviant behaviour.

Sex with contraception would also be classed as deviant behaviour.

Bondage/spanking ..... yep, deviant behaviour.

Should any government be promoting any of these, of course not, let people do whatever they want in private, no need for a government or social movement to promote them.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Should any government be promoting any of these, of course not, let people do whatever they want in private, no need for a government or social movement to promote them.

You didn't say behaviour though, you said lifestyle, conflating homosexuality with sexual practices. It's an important distinction.  If you think that homosexuals are deviants regardless of sexual proclivities then just say so. I just don't want to misinterpret what you're saying.

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

I'm often surprised how misinformed my fellow citizens are. I just assume they learned some basic concepts.

The "right" to an abortion is (was obviously) supported, the SCOTUS opinion says, by the Fourteenth Amendment. So yes, it was a "Right", until it wasn't.

A Federal law was NOT required, and here I'll quote the last five Republican SCOTUS nominees..."Roe v. Wade is settled law.".

Of course they were lying but we took them at their word.

Dred Scott was settled law until it wasn't. 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:22 PM, Yellowtail said:

That the right disagrees with the left on how best to address the issues you listed, among others, does not mean the right does not want to address them. 

For example, the inner-city schools run by the left are so bad that many poor students are not able score high enough on the SAT to qualify for university. The left's solution is to lower admission standards and make taking the SAT optional. When not enough poor students graduate, the left's solution is to lower graduation standards. 

The right's solution is to improve the quality of K-12 education in the inner-city. 

But you go dude, tax the rich, make driving unaffordable for the poor, put the farmers out of business to save the Delta Smelt, mandate that everyone that does not want to work for healthcare gets it free, open the border, kill all the babies you can, and get as many kids as you can to change genders, it's all good. 

A gross misrepresentation of the leftwing views on inner city schooling.

Have another go and think about funding (for schools, not tax cuts for the hyper wealthy).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You need to brush up on the facts of primate behaviour.

• Like 2