STALLIONS SM 400

XB12X

Those bikes have been around for years, now, how many have you seen around? They look pretty neat but so many other better choices. Double the money and get  a Royal Enfield 650. Same retro style bike.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Most people sell them very quickly.

Bits drop off as you drive along the road.

Better to spend your money on a s/h Honda IMHO.

Bits fall off as you drive along? I've never seen that happen, and there are loads of the smaller Stallions on the road.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, XB12X said:

Bits fall off as you drive along? I've never seen that happen, and there are loads of the smaller Stallions on the road.

Buy one and report back.  You've been given solid advice. Other, better alternatives from non-Chinese bikes.  Some years ago I thought the Lifan 250 was so cool looking. Glad I never pulled the trigger on that one.

My last big bike I bought used

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:13 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Buy one and report back.  You've been given solid advice. Other, better alternatives from non-Chinese bikes.  Some years ago I thought the Lifan 250 was so cool looking. Glad I never pulled the trigger on that one.

My last big bike I bought used

'Soild advice' by someone who hasn't owned one, though.

• Haha 1

I guess one of those would be OK, IF you lived where there were lots of Chinese replacement parts and mechanics who would replace them for virtually nothing. Buy two and rotate them to the shop every other month.

There may be certain models of certain brands that are generally OK, but you need to know before you spend $$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, XB12X said:

'Soild advice' by someone who hasn't owned one, though.

Plenty of that sort of 'solid advice' from some posters around here. Let's just look at that advice for a moment: "Bits drop off as you drive along the road."

No even vague understanding of what 'bits' fall off, or the situation in which they fell off. Therefore no understanding of how it was to have been originally fixed to the main bike. All new bikes of this design vintage need a shake down / tighten up. Agricultural power plants that you find in the Stallion are full of vibe by design.

It would be grossly incompetent to let such a bike go unchecked for loose accessories to the point that things fall off.

To the OP, like all bikes, they are fit for a certain purpose. Keep filters and oil up to them, follow the standard maintenance (no more / no less in normal operating conditions), be aware that that braking from those early 80s tech brake calipers will feel wooden but do the job and you are good to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 12:51 PM, MartinL said:

First hand experience for you rather than hearsay.

I had a Suzuki-based Stallions 250 for 6 years. Totally reliable. It was thrashed everywhere, frequently 200-300 km. a day, often at full throttle for miles. Nothing ever fell off or broke. Spares were quite cheap and easily available from Stallions via LINE. Nothing was ever 'unavailable'. No 6 month wait for spares - try that Ducati!! Delivery was often next day. Engine parts from the old Suzuki engine would probably have fitted in most cases but I never needed to find out. I sold it last month and the lad that bought it thought it was almost new, not 6 years old. Sold because I no longer wanted 2 bikes so I sold the smaller one.

As in all things, look after something and it'll last. Others' experiences might differ but it's not all doom 'n' gloom with these bikes.

I'm glad someone who has actually had a Stallions and put proper miles on it has commented. Thanks a lot.

There was a guy who asked for advice on this bike before here, then bought one and reported back a few times, I think it was a couple of years ago, just search this forum and you find it..., he might still have it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aaseannow.com+stallion+400&oq=site%3Aaseannow.com+stallion+400&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.19598j0j7&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This gives you all the old posts on this forum about this bike ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

There was a guy who asked for advice on this bike before here, then bought one and reported back a few times, I think it was a couple of years ago, just search this forum and you find it..., he might still have it...

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aaseannow.com+stallion+400&oq=site%3Aaseannow.com+stallion+400&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.19598j0j7&client=ms-android-h3g-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This gives you all the old posts on this forum about this bike ...

Thanks, mate.

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

From what little I've read about, there are a couple Chinese/Taiwanese clone bikes that copied a couple good engine designs.  Not high tech but proven old designs.  Honda, Suzuki ...  Trouble is, which factory copied which ones and how was the quality? 

• 2 months later...

Excellent reviews on Stallions which are Mash bikes in Europe on Youtube--most have never ridden them here and are racist and will never try one. Google some MASH reviews lots online and many happy users in Europe/UK. Ignorance is not bliss and yes i own and love my Honda too.Check out KOVE bikes fr what China has coming next, they will be the next Japan of innovative bikes.

7 hours ago, DRD123 said:

Excellent reviews on Stallions which are Mash bikes in Europe on Youtube--most have never ridden them here and are racist and will never try one. Google some MASH reviews lots online and many happy users in Europe/UK. Ignorance is not bliss and yes i own and love my Honda too.Check out KOVE bikes fr what China has coming next, they will be the next Japan of innovative bikes.

KOVE bikes have being receiving fantastic reviews from many testers , however ive been in touch with them (very professional response) and sadly there are no plans as of yet to import into Thailand. Maybe they need to be sure of a decent customer base , before commiting to opening dealerships. The Mash bikes seem to get good reviews if your after a stylish cruiser type bike.

I saw Kove bikes at the EICMA 2022 and was quite impressed especially from the ADV800X.

The (then not yet independently checked) data sound quite good:

799cc, 100 horsepower, and (hard to believe) 180kg. 21 inch front wheel, 240mm suspension.

On 5/25/2023 at 1:06 AM, DRD123 said:

I am jealous

I am jealous, i would have loved to look at the ADV800X up close. Very cool. We need more mid sized bikes i feel and hear. Large ADV bikes are covered well but the likes of 400-600cc ADV and Dual Sport bikes are lacking IMO and the Japanese do not seem to be too keen to go through the motions of making these bikes so Aprilla is [440 coming soon too] and I welcome  the new Chinese manufacturers.

I just sold my Honda Rally after many trouble free km's here in TH but would have loved ABS and more power but very happy with that bike at the same time. More option the better. Hope KOVE gets into TH sooner then later  but they are upmarket so to speak. Even the MASH bike range is not imported into TH which is quite different then the Stallion range which seems to be more basic to keep the price down. Pity because MASH line is a great Royal Enfield alternative. I have been seriously considering a RE Interceptor as my next bike but i see RE is coming out with a scrambler version this year of the Interceptor and as well next month Triumph is releasing their street and scrambler/ADV 400 bike made in India. The Indian bikes have been getting better and better and the Interceptor owners i talk to love their bikes and have had no issues at least the newer designs.

I try to stick to bikes made in Thailand for the price point even though i drool over the Euro bikes. Triumph TH would not say to me whether these baby Triumphs will me assembled here in country but the announcement is in June.. The new CL300/500 from Honda did not do it for me in the scrambler category so passing on it. I need to assemble a quiver of 3 bikes here i think maybe 4 haha.I am going to pick up a used SM400 next week and ride the crap out of it.A Honda engine made in China of the old Honda XBR 4 valve by Shineray under license is fine by me. 

Personally i hope KOVE makes a 300-500 Dual Sport thats ultra reliable but thats just me. There will be no Yamaha WR450R and their KTM seems to have bailed on the 490cc twin  bike which is a pity.

Let us know how you get on with the Stallions, please.

On 5/27/2023 at 3:01 PM, XB12X said:

Let us know how you get on with the Stallions, please.

I will do…. A little more clarification and some English reviews of the bikes available in TH would really help. 

I like facts and actual users reviews not conjecture or sea Of the pants opinions which can be found here in abundance.

My Stallion deal fell through so off to the Stallion BKK showroom later this week. 

I wrote TH Triumph, they won’t spill the beans but the baby Bonny 400(?) announcement is end of June. Hi Dian channels say it will be ABS, 40hp possibly and have two modes street and ADV scrambler style for what they say will be 140,000tbh from their educated guess.

The new 450 Himalayan will be announced in September but not available until 2024. 40 JP range with a first fir RE a water cooled engine the spy shots also look pretty darn interesting.

I’m goi g yo look at the slightly bigger Oder stallion CT400 as well this week and test rinse a few.

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

A Triumph 400cc bike at 140k baht new....!? I don't think so..., More like 240k or higher... !

I think these small Triumph-badged bikes will be Indian built in partnership with Bajaj if I remember correctly. That'd explain the low price.

Yes, looks like Triumph/Bajaj -

https://www.webbikeworld.com/350cc-triumph-x-bajaj-bikes-to-launch-july-27th/

https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-news/india-bound-triumph-bajaj-bikes-likely-to-get-400cc-engine-428194

On 5/30/2023 at 5:27 PM, Agusts said:

A Triumph 400cc bike at 140k baht new....!? I don't think so..., More like 240k or higher... !

Ya not my guess it’s from an Indian channel and that is the highest estimate given by a long shot —they had much lower estimates than that in Lahk and I simply did the conversion to THB—it’s an Indian made bike like the other fellow says Bajaj is making it —to be seen if they send over the bits to Thailand and these bikes are assembled here to avoid excess duty taxes. 

Stallion dealers aint easy to find so I will go to main showroom in BKK…not the best sign but TIT.

RE is killing it worldwide with sales but not sure how they are doing here in TH. They are rolling out a lot of new models this year. The Himmy450 is one I am watching but they are releasing a Interceptor 650 Scrambler as well. I like the Interceptor and so do it’s owners it seems from talking to them and reviews.  

I have not bought a new bike since 1978 but will look at that with these bikes to get some warranty for what ever that’s worth.

TH is dominated by Japanese bikes and for good reason they are excellent machines but lack character and style at least to my old eyes.

• Haha 1