Here’s Why the Science Is Clear That Masks Work

onthedarkside

Statement on 'Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses' review

Update from Cochrane:

"The Cochrane Review 'Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses' was published in January 2023 and has been widely misinterpreted.

Many commentators have claimed that a recently-updated Cochrane Review shows that 'masks don't work', which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation.

It would be accurate to say that the review examined whether interventions to promote mask wearing help to slow the spread of respiratory viruses, and that the results were inconclusive."

(more)

https://www.cochrane.org/news/statement-physical-interventions-interrupt-or-reduce-spread-respiratory-viruses-review

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The science and opinion of experts and researchers in the field is pretty clear -- consistent and well-fit masks DO reduce the risks of becoming infected with an airborne virus.....

The general consensus is that N95 class masks called "respirator" masks provide the best protection, followed by so-called surgical masks, and then cloth masks generally the least effective.

Where things fall down, though, is when it comes to human behavior. The masks provide protection only to the extent people actually wear them. And when they take them off or don't wear them properly, then they're at greater risk again.

So, as an example, someone could wear an N95 mask at work all day, and be reasonably well protected.  Then they go home after work and play with the kids who caught an asymptomatic COVID infection from other kids at school, and then, bingo, Mom or Dad have a case of COVID....

And it's not because the mask wearing didn't work. It's because the best masks only work, that is, reduce the risks by varying degrees, when they're actually worn!

And there are many anti-vaxxers/anti-common sense folks who will deluge the airwaves with evidence to the contrary. In my completely unimportant opinion, I agree that proper masks help. My point is I am weary of the debate.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ding said:

People who ridicule mask-wearing would never tell the surgeon to not wear a mask before their surgery.

I sometimes ask them why surgeons wear masks.

And in a previous answer from a surgeon ..........

The oxygen levels in the OR are raised to offset the increased CO2 caused by the mask.

The mask is replaced with a new mask every hour.

And it's totally different to a person wearing a mask outside for 8hrs a day and keeping the same mask for 2 weeks.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And it's totally different to a person wearing a mask outside for 8hrs a day and keeping the same mask for 2 weeks.

What is the purpose of the mask in all surgical theaters everywhere on planet earth?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, ding said:

What is the purpose of the mask in all surgical theaters everywhere on planet earth?

Mainly to avoid blood splatter IMHO.

But you deliberately only partially quoted me.

Wearing a new mask every hour is completely different to wearing the same dirty mask for a week.

How often do you replace the mask you wear?

Every hour?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Because they work in hospitals with sick patients and are in direct contact with open wounds. 

What is it that happens between the surgeons mouth and the wet tissue?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Mainly to avoid blood splatter IMHO.

Yep! Add a little research and I bet you'll probably find airborne particulates too.

Infection rate is important when looking for a surgeon but nearly impossible to discover.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ding said:

Yep! Add a little research and I bet you'll probably find airborne particulates too.

Infection rate is important when looking for a surgeon but nearly impossible to discover.

You still haven't answered how often you change your mask?

I'm still using the same mask I was given at the start of COVID in March 2020.

Would also point out surgeons don't touch their masks ever, touching = new mask required.

Edited by BritManToo

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Whatever it is it's disgusting and as @BritManToo has tried to explain to you, requires the mask to be changed regularly.

Smart people try to explain things to me all the time but I just read studies and see what stupid people try to explain to me.

Nature

As a key practical conclusion, our results strongly corroborate the efficacy of surgical masks at significantly reducing emission of expiratory particles into the surrounding air, despite the existence of non-filtered leakage flows around the sides of the mask. In other words, the existence of such leakage flows does not obviate mask wearing; rather, our results confirm that mask wearing provides a significant reduction in the probability of disease transmission via expiratory particles, especially when both the infected and susceptible individuals wear masks. Further, without a mask the expiratory airflow will travel directly away from the talker or cougher in a high velocity plume towards others who may be nearby51, whereas with mask wearing the leakage flows are redirected upwards, sideways, and downward leading to more rapid dilution along with a reduction in the velocity of the outward jet

Edited by ding

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, there's no credible evidence that COVID virus infection via the eyes (while possible and the subject of some studies) actually accounts for any meaningful share of infections. Same with surface contact.

It's primarily a respiratory infection route, which is why good masks are important, as they reduce the risk from the PRIMARY route of infection.

Since your eyes drain down into you nostril cavity, any covid infected droplets in your eyes, then simply  bypass the mask, and are breathed in.  Again, making mask without eye protection...useless.

• Haha 2