Here’s Why the Science Is Clear That Masks Work

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Since your eyes drain down into you nostril cavity, any covid infected droplets in your eyes, then simply  bypass the mask, and are breathed in.  Again, making mask without eye protection...useless.

And as usual, you have/present absolutely no credible source to support your claims.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Can You Catch the Coronavirus Through Your Eyes?

Experts say it's not a big concern, but there are ways to lower your risk

"For the most part, however, health experts believe we're probably more likely to become infected via our nose and mouth, than through our eyes, in part, says Tuli, “because our nose and mouth provide a direct passageway to the lungs,” whereas infectious particles that enter through our eyes have to take a more roundabout route.

Also, notes James Cherry, M.D., a distinguished research professor and infectious disease expert at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, our tears contain antibodies that can help detect and latch onto unfriendly antigens, such as bacteria and viruses, and destroy them."

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/catching-coronavirus-through-your-eyes.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And as usual, you have/present absolutely no credible source to support your claims.

Does anyone need a credible source for that.  Basic human biology.  

Do I need a source to confirm the sun comes up in the east & sets in the west.  Eyes, tears, tear duct nasal cavity  ... did you not pay attention in class.

Here's a visual:

image.png.ecdaf117b7ccffbbc487e889cc533ee2.png

image.png.8cfdc5e9b45d1fd549d364445b442f1d.png

image.png.f4ee693a0725a7de1f7e7fdcc57c19c6.png

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can You Catch the Coronavirus Through Your Eyes?

Experts say it's not a big concern, but there are ways to lower your risk

"For the most part, however, health experts believe we're probably more likely to become infected via our nose and mouth, than through our eyes, in part, says Tuli, “because our nose and mouth provide a direct passageway to the lungs,” whereas infectious particles that enter through our eyes have to take a more roundabout route.

Also, notes James Cherry, M.D., a distinguished research professor and infectious disease expert at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, our tears contain antibodies that can help detect and latch onto unfriendly antigens, such as bacteria and viruses, and destroy them."

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2020/catching-coronavirus-through-your-eyes.html

That's your comeback .. thank you for confirming what I stated.

all things being equal, of course one would assume more is breathed in directly from the nose & mouth but it certainly did NOT state, it won't come in through the eyes.  quite the opposite.

" whereas infectious particles that enter through our eyes have to take a more roundabout route"

Take the expressway or the scenic route, you still end up at the same destination.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

You're misrepresenting what the article actually says to fit your own narrative... 

The evidence is clear, the primary route for COVID infections is thru the respiratory system (not eyes or surfaces), and masks can be effective to varying degrees in reducing those risks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Just about everyone in Thailand wore a bl**dy mask you fool....and they all got Covid, including me.....even after the 'safe and effective' vaccines....

I wore my N95 masks, consistently got vaccinated as recommended, and I never got COVID all these years, afaik.... Those approaches, along with social distancing, have been working just fine for me!

A good mask only protects you when you actually wear it... Not if you take it off when you visit the pub... not if you don't wear it when out with friends, etc etc.

They're not foolproof, but they help reduce the risk... and reduce it a whole lot more than your apparent wish of everyone roaming around spreading their germs with no precautions whatsoever.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wore my N95 masks, consistently got vaccinated as recommended, and I never got COVID all these years, afaik....

Unvax'd and didn't wear a mask 99.99% of the time, and didn't get covid AFAIK

So not being vax'd or not wearing a mask is just as affective ???? apparently.

As stated above, that mask & vaccine failed so many millions.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Your horrible misunderstanding of mathematics is music to the ears of financial advisors, insurance salesmen, mortgage brokers everywhere.

Yea, but not nearly as much as sanitizer, temp monitors, test kit, vaccine & masks salespersons.

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I wore my N95 masks, consistently got vaccinated as recommended, and I never got COVID all these years, afaik.... Those approaches, along with social distancing, have been working just fine for me!

A good mask only protects you when you actually wear it... Not if you take it off when you visit the pub... not if you don't wear it when out with friends, etc etc.

They're not foolproof, but they help reduce the risk... and reduce it a whole lot more than your apparent wish of everyone roaming around spreading their germs with no precautions whatsoever.

Well wrap yourself in cotton wool then buddy....just dont shove it down our throats. If you are STILL scared of Covid I feel sorry for you. I had it at least once (confirmed) and I recovered within a week......I only had the Chinese vax as well......I was FORCED by gullible people into doing it or risk losing my job.

Careful of the kettle....ITS HOT!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Those estimates were in the early days of the pandemic, and they were only estimates.... But what came after from the WHO told the clearer tale:

Screenshot_3.jpg.b20459a246f2dfd15ae02349d24589dd.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg.88a040600cd31203c20956b463b73dba.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg.8739871dfc08331d7c819714de559792.jpg

https://www.who.int/data/stories/global-excess-deaths-associated-with-covid-19-january-2020-december-2021

Also, in  reality,  small fatality percentages turn out to be very large number of COVID deaths, as illustrated by the following info from Johns Hopkins:

Mexico - 4.5% case fatality rate -- 333,188 official COVID deaths

Russia - 1.8% case fatality rate -- 388,478 official COVID deaths

US - 1.1% case fatality rate -- 1.1 million official COVID deaths.

UK - 0.9% case fatality rate -- 220,000+ official COVID deaths

Thailand - 0.7% case fatality rate -- 33,900+ official COVID deaths

And I caveated each of those countries' death totals as "official deaths" because the above stats are not counting the "excess mortality" data for each, which reflects how "official" COVID deaths often were a large undercount to actual COVID deaths.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

• Like 2

Ok Tall Guy......live in fear, up to you. I for one welcome masks disappearing, I welcome people waking up to the booster merry go round and NOT falling for it again....

If you want to wear a mask all day DO IT!  If you think its helping YOU fine.

Edited by Rimmer
flame removed
  • Sad 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, 248900_1469958220 said:

Just look around you. Common sense tells you mask dont stop the spread of Covid....millions wore them...millions infected. Does it get any simpler?

The only thing I can think of that is more simple is the thought process behind your opinion.

Unless of course if you can find scientific studies that promised either or both of the following:

a) masks will prevent 100% of transmission

b) vaccines for this virus will prevent 100% of infections

Even if masks prevent a high percentage (maybe 50% or higher), the high transmissibility of the virus virtually guarantees that eventually everyone will get infected.  You seem to ignore the fact that a delay in infection is also a major benefit of reduced transmission.

Even if vaccines only prevent a low percentage of infections, that imparts significant benefits.  Don't forget a low percentage of a REALLY REALLY  big number (7B?) produces a big number.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

The only thing I can think of that is more simple is the thought process behind your opinion.

Unless of course if you can find scientific studies that promised either or both of the following:

a) masks will prevent 100% of transmission

b) vaccines for this virus will prevent 100% of infections

Even if masks prevent a high percentage (maybe 50% or higher), the high transmissibility of the virus virtually guarantees that eventually everyone will get infected.  You seem to ignore the fact that a delay in infection is also a major benefit of reduced transmission.

Even if vaccines only prevent a low percentage of infections, that imparts significant benefits.  Don't forget a low percentage of a REALLY REALLY  big number (7B?) produces a big number.

Fascinating. Thankfully regardless of all this I am seeing less and less mask wearing...... Lets hope by the end of 2021 most are maskless and we can beging in interact like humans again......

If you dont want to, knock yourself out. 

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The wife and I were out and around the Victory Monument area in BKK this past weekend... and I'd say 95% of the Thais we saw walking around both outside and inside in shops and stores were wearing various versions of face masks... and I was wearing my standard 3M N95 mask, as always.

Totally opposite situation around my home neighborhood where there are a lot of tourists from East and West, with most farang tourists especially not wearing them.

It's good to see the Thais trying to be mindful of protecting both their own health and that of those around them by masking up... unlike most of the tourist folks from the West.

Smog protection, I would think.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Smog protection, I would think.

90-95% of Thais still wearing masks because of smog?  And where were these masked crusaders before Covid?

The only time Thai wore masks pre-covid was when they had respiratory infections that they didn't want to impose on others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

90-95% of Thais still wearing masks because of smog?  And where were these masked crusaders before Covid?

The only time Thai wore masks pre-covid was when they had respiratory infections that they didn't want to impose on others.

Did you ask them pre covid, because I thought they wore them for smog.  Far less wore them during non smog season, In my observations. 

I hope there aren't, weren't that many people walking around sick, as if they were even aware of the danger they posed before covid enlightened people that maybe they should stay home when sick.

Just think of all the times I got in trouble at work, for using my sick time ...

.... I guess now it's encouraged ... ????

On 3/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, KhunLA said:

Does anyone need a credible source for that.  Basic human biology.  

Do I need a source to confirm the sun comes up in the east & sets in the west.  Eyes, tears, tear duct nasal cavity  ... did you not pay attention in class.

Here's a visual:

image.png.8cfdc5e9b45d1fd549d364445b442f1d.png

On 3/13/2023 at 6:47 PM, KhunLA said:

image.png.f4ee693a0725a7de1f7e7fdcc57c19c6.png

Nod off in the middle of class? You forgot that 8 liters of air you gulp every minute are filtered by 100 square meters of wet infectible lung tissue. Your two eyes, just sitting there, have only .00035 m(3.5 cm2) of exposed surface and a long way to the lungs past the disease fighting tonsils.  If you don't rub your eyes you are mostly safe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Did you ask them pre covid, because I thought they wore them for smog.  Far less wore them during non smog season, In my observations. 

I hope there aren't, weren't that many people walking around sick, as if they were even aware of the danger they posed before covid enlightened people that maybe they should stay home when sick.

Just think of all the times I got in trouble at work, for using my sick time ...

.... I guess now it's encouraged ... ????

Yes, been here 35 years+. My niece who lives with me gets frequent colds and always wears a mask. It's a well known Thai cultural fact.

• Like 1