Uncontested Divorce - Amphur Bangkok

littlepig

Hi Everyone - hoping for a bit of advice - apologies if previously covered!

Shortly arriving bkk for Uncontested Divorce. Mixed advice so far. Either: have to go to British Embassy to get passport legalised (and then translated elsewhere) which is then taken to Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be checked before then going to District Office / Amphur for divorce.

Or: 

Just take passport to Ministry Foreign Affairs to be legalised then to Amphur?

I understand that if we went to Amphur where married originally (Phuket) we wouldn't need any of above steps - but I don't think that our current state of 'cooperation' will stretch that far. I would go into the circumstances around said parting of ways but a) no-one would believe them, b) server probably isn't big enough, c) busy packing.

Thanks so much in advance ...

The first option. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs are not going to legalise your passport alone as you are not a Thai citizen.

Any decent translation service will be able to do this remotely for you. You send them a scan of the bio page of your passport and a scan of your marriage certificate. You pay for all fees online (generally by bank transfer if you have a Thai bank account).

They will translate the document and take the translation to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and get it legalised for you. The legalised document can then be posted to you anywhere in Thailand by EMS (or worldwide if you are prepared to pay for the shipping).

No need to attend anywhere in person to complete the translation/legalisation process.

• Like 1