Poll: - Research suggests that Thai drivers are superior to Expat drivers!

Crossy

Are Thai drivers are better than expats?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Cricky said:

On Thai roads YES.

It's a different system here on Thai roads.

It really annoys me when foreigners complain about this and that regarding driving on the road. I see foreigners coming to intersections blasting their horn aggressivly. When approaching an unsigned intersection without traffic lights just allow the first vehicle right of way, wait your turn.

Roundabouts are a big problem, Thai's are too polite, they stop (having right of way) for vehicles entering. 

There are many examples, foreigners need to assimilate, learn these techniques. 

Maybe you should learn the Thai highway code, the driver entering the roundabout has right of way.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Seismic said:

It's not a 'different system' it is a lack of common sense, consideration for other road users and a firm belief that what they do is right and everyone else is wrong. I have not really seen anyone coming to an intersection blasting their horns aggressively, either Thai or Foreigner.  Roundabouts are a problem not because they are too polite but because of the ones who charge into the roundabout thinking everyone else must stop for them. There is zero understanding of right of way by Thai drivers, either at  T-junctions, cross roads or any other form of intersection. They simply keep pushing until others have to allow them out. Basically Thia's throw out the highway code when they get behind the wheel and do what they have seen others doing while they grew up. Driving standards here have not improved in the 40 years I have been driving here, because there is no real enforcement of the traffic laws. Trying to assimilate Thai driving habits will get you pulled over in short notice back in the real world. There is no 'technique' to learn, what you need to do is simply drive defensively and expect them to do the unexpected because they generally will.

Have to come to page 2 to find some sense...

Last week I was at a Road Safety event where the Governor of the BMA and WHO reps, senior police and others were also there. I spent five minutes talking road safety strategy and policy to a guy who runs a road safety charity. He immediately took to meet the WHO guy and they asked to come back for a proper discussion. Most of your points above were covered in our chat. They agreed with me then, and would agree with your post. 

36 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
2 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Maybe you should learn the Thai highway code, the driver entering the roundabout has right of way.

Section 73 (500 – 1000B)
A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle (rotary). (1000B)

If there’s no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)

From the Land Traffic Act. Emphasis mine. "Coming from his right" means the people inside the circle.

Exactly.....  Drivers wanting to ‘enter’ the circle (i.e. waiting to get onto to traffic roundabout) must first give way to vehicles coming from the right...  Its an extremely simple concept.

I don’t know how so many posters can some how completely misunderstand this, its as if they have arrived here, gone native and become consumed and influenced by an inside-out logic - its baffling. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Erm..    ???? :whistling:

As we’re on an automative thread, you let your foot slip off the clutch with that one...   Have you never been told, mouth into neutral, brain into gear ??.... 

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US.

The vast majority of terrible accidents here are human errors, that could not have been avoided. If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? 

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is invading Germany in the winter.

• Love It 1

My wife gets upset with me always complaining about the way many Thais drive. We have just come back from Australia and I have promised not to complain any more about the stupid things Thais do because there were so many stupid drivers in Australia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

If I drove like I do here when back in the UK I'd be locked up for a long time!

More than 20 over the limit in residential area in Switzerland could cost you a criminal record.

Crossing a solid line can cost hundreds of Swiss Francs.

Vehicles of non resident foreigners can be confiscated until case cleared.

And so on...

• Like 1

hahahahaha, didnt realize it was april fools day, most thais dont even know the road rules, they ignore red lights, they ignore stop signs, they ignore double lines, they dont indicate, they never look in their mirrors, brings back memories of the thai lady in Australia, had her thai license and drove here for 20 odd years and kept failing her aussie drivers test 10 times was the last count years ago, even my wife who is a great driver was amazed at the road users in Australia and how they  followed the laws. I actually let her drive most of the time here as she drives like a thai by not following the road rules just like everyone else, the only reason they think they are better is because farangs follow the road rules which makes them look bad and stops them from driving as they usually do, most would never be allowed to drive on overseas roads

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Speeding - Definitely

Passing on the left - Of course

Clipping the "don't drive here" hatchings - I have photo evidence!

And we are all guilty of doing the same but so many members don't complain about their own law breaking road use. Most members are always complaining and moaning about the Thais driving habits. 

We must not forget that the Thais were driving this way well before we arrived, making Thailand our home, I reckon we all should be more understanding. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Speeding - Definitely

Passing on the left - Of course

Clipping the "don't drive here" hatchings - I have photo evidence!

a mod bragging about breaking the rules and flouting the law. 

the irony is so rich. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Me too, and driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway to avoid long U-turn.

and another one. 

you both should be ashamed of yourself. but make sure you wear a mask going into the shopping mall ok.

21 minutes ago, stoner said:

a mod bragging about breaking the rules and flouting the law. 

the irony is so rich. 

They are human. 

It's near impossible to use Thailand's roads without breaking a rule here and there. 

Like stopping at a pedestrian crossing, it's not too bad these days but 20 years ago you'd be sure to get hit in the rear if you stopped for a pedestrian. 

Speed and Incompetence or both are the biggest issue that concerns me on the Thai roads, sadly, often happens in Oz too. 

https://fb.watch/jgXflPHXkk/

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Many elderly retired expats around Chonburi ive seen really should not be driving a car..... ever !!

Absolutely, apparently its all about lining those two sticks up.  I had 3 goes doing it it at the driving centre (PLTO).   They told me, fail again and no licence.....

Just now, brianburi said:

Absolutely, apparently its all about lining those two sticks up.  I had 3 goes doing it it at the driving centre (PLTO).   They told me, fail again and no licence.....

When I renewed my licence there was an elderly expat gent just ahead of me... He failed badly the eye sight tests.

He was allowed to renew !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How dare they speak about driving if there is not even a proper education and test...A lot drive even without a driverslicense, as in expat land you get a good education practice and theory.. Thatis why the death toll in Thailand is so high. It shows how superior they are 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

How dare they speak about driving if there is not even a proper education and test...A lot drive even without a driverslicense, as in expat land you get a good education practice and theory.. Thatis why the death toll in Thailand is so high. It shows how superior they are 

I was over in Australia earlier this year.

For a western country with good education there was some really crappy drivers on the roads over there..... Victoria BTW, not sure on rest of country.

• Like 1

The title is a bit open ended, superior in what way relative to driving.

My brother in law, mid 50s, is without doubt far superior in the handling of his vehicle than the majority of expats are with theirs. If he didn't have that level of skill he wouldn't be alive.

Unfortunately when it comes to comes to rules, regulations and etiquette, nothing but alien concepts.

When my wife first went to the UK one of the biggest surprises was the standard of driving and how considerate other drivers were, giving way is not in the Thai psyche.

As anyone who has lived in Thailand long enough knows, Thai's ( in their opinion only), are superior in any, & everything they do   , the road traffic accidents, and the recently published  graph showing that they are one of the most dangerous countries in the world for driving  and road  accidents with the poorest driving knowledge

• Thanks 1