She Gets her Kicks in Stepney, NOT in Knightsbridge ANYMORE: What does this mean? What KIND of Kicks. Is STEPNEY bad?

Dear Friends,

During the past 58 years, have you been puzzling the meaning of this rolling enigma?

There is too much left unsung in this threatening song.

What kind of kicks?

Who is the old man? The father, the husband, or somebody else?

Back in 1965, what was it REALLY like to live in Stepney?  And then, how was it in Knightsbridge in 1964?

Were the two places, Stepney and Knightsbridge, better than cities and districts that one might find in the UK, today?

I love chamber music. I love Baroque classical music. Is this FIRE song the closest to baroque that there is?

How much do you love this song?

Is it even possible to dislike this song written by Nanker Phelge?

Who is this guy Nanker?

What a name.

Whatever happened to the young woman?

Did she move to Stepney, eventually?

Regards,

Gamma

• Love It 1

17 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Well, I think old Nanker dropped the ball when he wrote this song with no resolution to it.

The song stops abruptly.

There is too much left unsaid.

Why could her father not be with her mother, for example.  Did he die prematurely?

Did his mother kick out her father to be with another man?

Will the daughter follow in her mother's footsteps?

Has this guy Nanker never said more about this song?

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

deliberately cryptic to get people to talk about it

So anyway, the most that can be easily gleaned from this tune is that this guy Nanker has begun supplying this girl with diamonds, and Nanker also hints that he will supply her with more.  However, he continually warns this girl not to play with fire.

However, what is unclear is why her mother lost her diamonds, and why she must get her kicks in Stepney.

Also, it is not discussed whether these were blood diamonds.

We only know that, if this girl does not play with fire, then she will have more diamonds. She will have others.

Such an unsettling song.

And, as well, this song pops up in the Finney film, Shoot The Moon.

Likewise, this film ends in such an abrupt and unsettling way.

For example, in the final tennis-court scene, Finney, after being beaten to a pulp by his estranged wife's lover who built the tennis courts, reaches out to his wife, aptly named FAITH.

However, Faith seems reluctant to grasp the hand which is extended to her.

Therefore, this Fire song is not only CRYPTIC, as was stated above, but it pops up in an equally cryptic film.

The song is amazing.

Finney is always amazing.

Play it again, Sam!

And, by the way, what about Rick Blaine?  Did he and Ilsa ever meet up again, after the war, and get it on?

If one is of a certain temperament, maybe one should refrain from listening or watching content like this, unless one is willing to pay the price of lasting uncertainty, and sleepless nights.

• Love It 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nanker: doing a Nanker was the act of sticking two fingers up one’s nostrils, creating a primate effect.

Phelge: was a pseudonym for a bloke named Les who managed a musical instrument shop in West London. He was a printer before that and lived with the Stones in Chelsea. Phelge (not his real name) was known in their flat for having distasteful personal habits.

Les, under the pseudonym  James Phelge, wrote a book ‘Nankering with The Stones’ some years ago.

Stepney was a rough part of town down in the docks area in 1964. It’s part of Tower Hamlets now, still downmarket in parts.

Edited by ArnieP
  • Like 2

Knightbridge wealthy and hiso.

Stepney is /was a working class area of London, close to the Thames and the docks. Especially in the  sixties.

Like many parts of  of London, the property boom has changed some of it. although still many immigrant enclaves.

I take from the song that in losing her valuables, she could only afford to live oin a cheaper part of London. Hence, "Now she gets her kicks in Stepney."

• Like 1

Nanker /Phledge was the pseudonym for The Rolling Stones and Loog Oldhams early songs, and I didn't neet ChatAI to get that, I knew it.

The Hollies wrote under the name of L Ransford.

Percy Thrillington, Bernard Webb, Apollo C Vermouth, Clint Harrigan and Paul Ramon were all used by Sir Paul Macca.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Nanker /Phledge was the pseudonym for The Rolling Stones and Loog Oldhams early songs, and I didn't neet ChatAI to get that, I knew it.

The Hollies wrote under the name of L Ransford.

Percy Thrillington, Bernard Webb, Apollo C Vermouth, Clint Harrigan and Paul Ramon were all used by Sir Paul Macca.

Heard the other day that's where the Ramones got their name. Old news for some but for me it was a fun fact. 

• Thumbs Up 1