Retirement Visa Extension Combination Financial Requirements

How do Immigration work out the combination method of income to meet the requirements for an Extension based on retirement?

My situation, my last renewal was 1 August last year and I had about 1.5 million baht in the bank then. After the renewal I did not bring any monthly money into the country as I was living off the money in the Bank. I was also doing major renovations on our house and spending most of the rest of the money. I resumed bring over monthly amounts over 60,000 baht in October last year and have been doing that every month up to now and will continue to do so up to my next renewal date on 1 August. So, I have missed bringing money in for the first 2 months of my extension period. Up until now I have bought in a total of 740,000 baht and will be well over 800,000 baht by the time I do my annual extension as I will be bringing in about 100,000 a month for the next 4 months.

Will this be acceptable by Immigration?

Each year when I get a statement from Bangkok Bank to prove incoming transfers (I prefer that option to keeping 800K in an account), Immigration just count the number of transfers - it has to be 12 - and don't seem that interested in what the amounts are. They're always well over the base amount, so perhaps they just look to see if the total amount meets or beats that. It's definitely 12 transfers though, but they don't need to be every month. Once I was asked and just said "exchange rate bad" for the months I missed. Hope that helps.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Each year when I get a statement from Bangkok Bank to prove incoming transfers (I prefer that option to keeping 800K in an account), Immigration just count the number of transfers - it has to be 12 - and don't seem that interested in what the amounts are. They're always well over the base amount, so perhaps they just look to see if the total amount meets or beats that. It's definitely 12 transfers though, but they don't need to be every month. Once I was asked and just said "exchange rate bad" for the months I missed. Hope that helps.

It might help depending on any other responses, which is your Immi Office? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Coota said:

It might help depending on any other responses, which is your Immi Office? Thanks.

When I have done mine at CW the IO has checked for 12 deposits, 1 every month of previous 12 months.

• Like 1

OP, I think you will have issues.

You can't start off with "money in bank method and switch to combo method midstream.

Another thing to keep in mind is not all immigration offices accept combination method.

Which immigration office do you use. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, norbra said:

When I have done mine at CW the IO has checked for 12 deposits, 1 every month of previous 12 months.

We posted at same time.

Yes agree. The OP will not be able to show 12 months of transfers.

Combo method should have been commenced at the start.

• Like 1

What about those who cannot get the Embassy income letter anymore?.  Is the Bangkok Bank statement of monthly transfers and passbook/ bank letter good enough?

Our IO is completely rogue.. No combo or income methods accepted,  just the savings in the bank method.

However recently there has been a change of personnel (Div 5, one of the P provinces)

5 minutes ago, brianburi said:

What about those who cannot get the Embassy income letter anymore?.  Is the Bangkok Bank statement of monthly transfers and passbook/ bank letter good enough?

Provided you can prove 12 x 65K minimum monthly overseas transfers, you meet the financial criteria.

35-2561 (2019 (changed clause 2.22 of 327-2557 ENG.pdf 
This was an amendment to the requirements issued after the UK, US and Australian Embassies ceased the Income letters, to accept monthly overseas transfers to a Thai bank as an alternative.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I think you will have issues.

You can't start off with "money in bank method and switch to combo method midstream.

Another thing to keep in mind is not all immigration offices accept combination method.

Which immigration office do you use. 

Yes, I may, my office is not known for being flexible and it is in the lower North east. Looks like I'll do the marriage extension then.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 10:05 AM, Coota said:

Sorry for the late response. I use the main  Chaeng Wattana office in Bangkok. Renewed my retirement three days ago. Same procedure, and all went well.

It helps with Bangkok Bank if you update your bank book after each transfer because they use all the FFT lines in the book to generate your statement for Immigration. If you don't update, as I didn't this year, it adds 3 days to the process while the branch requests a statement of every transaction for the year from the Silom Road Head Office, from which the branch extracts the transfers. The book makes them much happier. I hope that helps. 

• Haha 1