One-Year Multi-Entry Savannakhet – wife's ID & House-book changed surname to mine, but passport not changed... still shows maiden name – problem?

That's basically it – my Thai wife changed her surname to mine on certain documents, but didn't change her passport.

That means I can present her ID card and house-book with her surname the same as mine, but her passport shows her maiden name – (which is also the name shown on the marriage certificate obviously.)

We also have the official document that shows the name change from her maiden name to her married name.

She also has photocopies of her previous ID card showing her maiden name.

(The last time we obtained this Non-O marriage visa was in November 2019, and at that time they did not require the wife's passport copy.

About two months after that, I returned to the UK for a visit, and owing to Covid and other issues didn't return until last November.

Whilst I was away my wife did the change of name documentation.... so I wasn't actually involved in it – or entirely made aware of everything until my return.)

I'm wondering if anyone else has been in a similar position?

Otherwise it's just a matter of guesswork as to how the Thai consulate at Savannakhet will view the fact that her passport still carries her maiden name - (the one on the marriage certificate) – whilst her ID card and house-book have been changed to show her married name.

With all the relevant documentation, rational thinking would suggest that there wouldn't be any problem, but we know that 'rational thinking' doesn't always apply.

Incidentally, we recently moved from the Bangkok area to Ubon, so we want to avoid having to make a long trip to Bangkok and back just to process a passport name change..... and I've no idea whether Ubon Ratchathani has a passport office that might be able to do this.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information or relevant experiences you might have had.

Thanks Ubon Joe... that's exactly what I thought, but being familiar with the situation here (as well as other Asian countries) 'reason' doesn't always come into it.

If they query it, I'm sure I have the diplomatic and persuasive skills to articulate the case for a rational response! (in a friendly and non-combative manner...) 

Thanks for that Isan Farang..... appreciated, and could be very handy.

Even if I decide to take a chance that it will be OK at Savannakhet, the passport name-change has to be done sometime, just to have all documents lined up.

If the Ubon Ratchathani passport office offers this service, it'll save us the huge inconvenience of having to go to Bangkok just for that.... a place I hope to have no reason to have to go to again frankly.

It is not necessary for the Thai wife being visited to have a passport. The copy of her ID card serves as the necessary identification and proof of her Thai nationality in connection with her husband's application for a non-O visa. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Maestro

It wasn't a requirement previously (up to end of 2019 certainly) - but at some point they began to make it a requirement.

This is born out by the detailed accounts of people who have been to Savannakhet posted on this forum since the consulate resumed visa issuing post-Covid, which have included lists of the documents required at the consulate there.

That's not to say that there may be variations from one day to the next, or that there may have been times when an official has neglected to ask for a copy of the wife's passport.

But all reports I've seen that give an account of the application process from personal experiences have listed a copy of the wife's passport as a requirement.

This 'new' requirement was specifically remarked upon by applicants who had previously procured this visa when it was not required.

Please note that I'm referring to the Non-O One-Year Multi-Entry visa from Savannakhet specifically, and not to any other situation that may arise elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

Hi Maestro

It wasn't a requirement previously (up to end of 2019 certainly) - but at some point they began to make it a requirement.

This is born out by the detailed accounts of people who have been to Savannakhet posted on this forum since the consulate resumed visa issuing post-Covid, which have included lists of the documents required at the consulate there.

That's not to say that there may be variations from one day to the next, or that there may have been times when an official has neglected to ask for a copy of the wife's passport.

But all reports I've seen that give an account of the application process from personal experiences have listed a copy of the wife's passport as a requirement.

This 'new' requirement was specifically remarked upon by applicants who had previously procured this visa when it was not required.

Please note that I'm referring to the Non-O One-Year Multi-Entry visa from Savannakhet specifically, and not to any other situation that may arise elsewhere.

Your wife doesn't even have to be with you, so why a wife passport, Thai folk don't need a passport to enter Laos for a couple of days, most Thai's don't have a passport.......

• Like 1

This link was e-mailed to me by the Thai consulate in Savannakhet fairly recently:

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f 

Required documents

1. Visa application form [Download] which is completely filled out and signed by the applicant

2. Original and a copy of passport or travel document (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages)

3. Two (2) photos of the applicant (3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken within 6 months)

4. Original and a copy of marriage certificate (for spouse/parent) or birth certificate (for child).

5. A copy of Thai identification card (for spouse/parent)

6. A copy of passport (for spouse/parent)

7. A copy of Thai House registration

8. Visa Fee: 2,000 Baht (Single Entry)

Horses mouth and all that.....

18 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

This link was e-mailed to me by the Thai consulate in Savannakhet fairly recently:

https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f 

Required documents

1. Visa application form [Download] which is completely filled out and signed by the applicant

2. Original and a copy of passport or travel document (must not expire within 180 days and contain at least two complete empty visa pages)

4. Original and a copy of marriage certificate (for spouse/parent) or birth certificate (for child).

I have been to Sav at least 10/12 times, never asked about wife passport, because there is no need, you tell me what good it does.

Folk here say you need a copy of the Laos visa, why isn't that in your list...?

It's not “my” list obviously... it's what's listed on the Thai Consulate Savannakhet's website.

It's not for me to tell you what good the wife's passport is... it's up to the Thai consulate in Savannakhet to explain why they are stating it as a requirement.

Yes, a copy of the Lao visa stamp page was - and probably still is - a requirement, which the consulate has omitted from their list.

You don't say when was the last time you went for this visa, but I've read every account posted on here since the visa processing restarted post-Covid, and they have all said that the wife's passport was a requirement.

And, as I mentioned before, this requirement is relatively new.... it wasn't required in the past.

I have posted a link to the relevant page/list of required documents on the Thai consulate website, as well as copied & pasted that list on this forum, and you're still denying it's so.

The Thai consulate states its requirements, people have posted their experiences confirming what the consulate states – are you suggesting that one should simply ignore that evidence?

If so, on what basis should we ignore what the consulate itself says, and those who've gone through the process have recently confirmed?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, raysunshineray said:

It's not “my” list obviously... it's what's listed on the Thai Consulate Savannakhet's website.

It's not for me to tell you what good the wife's passport is... it's up to the Thai consulate in Savannakhet to explain why they are stating it as a requirement.

Yes, a copy of the Lao visa stamp page was - and probably still is - a requirement, which the consulate has omitted from their list.

You don't say when was the last time you went for this visa, but I've read every account posted on here since the visa processing restarted post-Covid, and they have all said that the wife's passport was a requirement.

And, as I mentioned before, this requirement is relatively new.... it wasn't required in the past.

I have posted a link to the relevant page/list of required documents on the Thai consulate website, as well as copied & pasted that list on this forum, and you're still denying it's so.

The Thai consulate states its requirements, people have posted their experiences confirming what the consulate states – are you suggesting that one should simply ignore that evidence?

If so, on what basis should we ignore what the consulate itself says, and those who've gone through the process have recently confirmed?

I will let you know on Monday the actual facts as I will be there...........:stoner:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Required documents

You are being too literal, the translation of the Thai on that link says 

"Supporting documents for a visa"

Supporting normally means what can be used, not what must be used.

The spouse or parent not having a passport is not grounds for denial.

The last line of the Thai notes is the one that get most worked up.

• All copies of documents must be certified true copies.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wife's house book has her maiden name that has been crossed out and my last name written in by hand and initialed by someone.  Immigration hasn't said a word.  Her Thai ID has my last name.

Edited by connda

Hi Sandyf,

Yes you are probably correct about that, just as when applying for a UK passport, where 'supporting documents' is followed by a list, which doesn't mean all are essential.

I've always operated on the basis of erring towards caution though, having all bases covered.

The bottom line is this:

Do I want to risk the possibility of my application being rejected, with all the inconvenience and cost that would inevitably follow?

One would have to re-enter Thailand on a visa exempt, sort out the paperwork, and then make a second long journey back to Lao - I'm about 4 hours drive from Mukdahan.

The hassle would be enormous really, and the extra cost - travel, hotel stays and a second $40 Lao entry visa.

Best do everything one can to avoid that scenario methinks.

Latest update:

email from Royal Thai Consulate Savannakhet (to me):

Dear Mr. R****** B***** 

It would be no problem if you provide all documents proving that Mrs. N*** B***** and Mrs. C********* is the same person.

Royal Thai Consulate-General,
Savannakhet, Lao P.D.R.
Tel: (856-41) 212373
Fax: (856-41) 212370
E-mail: [email protected]
Facebook: @ThaiConsulateSVK
Twitter: @ThailandinSVK

I must say that it seems very strange that a visa to visit a Thai spouse would not be issued if the spouse does not have a passport. In all likelihood, the intended meaning is Thai id card or Thai passport copy. That said, it would not be the first time that a consulate had bizarre requirements for a visa.

Brit Tim you are right of course.... perhaps we should cease to try and fathom the unfathomable.

They didn't require a wife's passport before - I know, I've been on this visa before... that made sense but now it doesn't.

Also - according to first-hand reports, they have in the past required an updated marriage registration (a 'Kor Ror 2'), just to make sure the marriage has not since been dissolved.

We got one at the local amphur in anticipation of this, but who knows whether they'll ask for it or not???!!!!

It's simply a case of keeping your <deleted> covered....

2 hours ago, raysunshineray said:

Latest update:

email from Royal Thai Consulate Savannakhet (to me):

Dear Mr. R****** B***** 

It would be no problem if you provide all documents proving that Mrs. N*** B***** and Mrs. C********* is the same person.

Royal Thai Consulate-General,
Savannakhet, Lao P.D.R.
Tel: (856-41) 212373
Fax: (856-41) 212370
E-mail: [email protected]
Facebook: @ThaiConsulateSVK
Twitter: @ThailandinSVK

Information overload

You have overloaded the consulate with information, ie you gave them information that they did not need and as a result they now ask you for additional documents which you may find difficult to provide.

You informed the consulate that your wife has a passport with a name that is not the same as the name on her ID card. The consulate did not need to know that your wife has a passport.

What document do you now plan to give them to prove that the person on the ID card is the same as the person on the passport?

• Thumbs Up 1

The consulate did not need to know that your wife has a passport.”

Well, according to the relevant page on their website they list it as a requirement in the application process.

Non - Immigrant Visa "O" (Visiting family member of a Thai nationality, a spouse of Thai national)

Required documents

Seeing as the Thai consulate Savannakhet has listed wife's passport as one of the requirements to be presented on application for this visa, it seems inevitable that they will notice that the passport is still in her maiden name, whilst the other two required wife documents have been changed to my name.

I see what you are saying, but on the other hand they will see that 'discrepancy' anyway, so my asking about it in advance will not make any difference.... it's not giving anything away that they won't notice anyway on submitting the application.

As others have pointed out, it makes no sense for them to ask for a wife's passport, but what makes sense and what doesn't isn't the issue, because they make the rules... and change the rules... and enforce the rules... and sometimes ignore their own rules.....

As for the proofs you were asking about:

We have an official change of name document issued by the local amphur.

Also a copy of her previous ID card with her maiden name matching that on the passport.

And the name on the passport is the same as on the marriage certificate.... obviously!

When the amphur changed her name on her house-book, they simply crossed out her maiden name, - still legible, - wrote in her new married name, and stamped it above the alteration, which would seem to be normal policy, since another poster has stated he had the same experience.

More evidence...

The last time we obtained this visa was just after we'd got married, and all her documents were still in her maiden name – (the passport requirement didn't exist at that time.)

One final thing perhaps worth mentioning, which might lend support to your view, is that the English version says “Required documents” at the head of the list, whereas in Thai it says “Supporting documents for a visa” - the former suggests they are compulsory, whereas the latter would suggest that not all on the list are.

• Haha 1

Quick question concerning MENO visa & 90 day reporting. I have forgotten if I need to do the 90 day reporting online now that I have an ME visa again.  I have had the regular Marriage visa for most of the last 10 years, except for during Covid, so I don't remember. It seems to me that I used to do the border hop for the 90 day in & out and that fulfilled the 90 day Report too. Please inform me. Thanks!

9 hours ago, teetersb said:

Quick question concerning MENO visa & 90 day reporting. I have forgotten if I need to do the 90 day reporting online now that I have an ME visa again.  I have had the regular Marriage visa for most of the last 10 years, except for during Covid, so I don't remember. It seems to me that I used to do the border hop for the 90 day in & out and that fulfilled the 90 day Report too. Please inform me. Thanks!

MENO?

What is MENO?

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+MENO%3F&oq=what+is+MENO%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i10i19i512j0i19i512l3j46i19i512j0i19i512l7j0i10i19i22i30j0i19i22i30.3187j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

On 3/15/2023 at 2:40 PM, raysunshineray said:

A copy of passport (for spouse/parent)

I applied for a non-O multi entry visa at Savannakhet in October of 2022. The list of documents included a copy of wife's passport. From what I remember, this was not on the list or required verbally in pre-Covid days. My wife's passport had expired but I took a copy all the same. When I presented the documents at the consulate I purposely did not include the passport copy. I would have provided the copy O was holding back but it was not asked for. The visa was issued with no problem.