Residency Certificate at US embassy

I went to renew my passport today at the U.S, embassy's Citizens Services. There was hardly anybody there and the whole process took about twenty mintues.  It was odd because all of the appointment slots had been booked until the 27th and I only managed to get one by checking the ACS appointment system everyday looking for a cancellation.

What I also noticed was that the U.S. embassy no longer issues residency certificates, so if you're an American your only option now is immigration unless you can find an agent to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

That is news!

Embassy is no longer issuing notarized affidavits stating address to be used for drivers licenses or buying/selling cars.

It's for our own good, they say!

Why is the U.S. Embassy making this decision?
The current process is expensive and burdensome for U.S. citizens in Thailand. The information can be provided by Thai
Immigration offices at a far smaller cost and throughout Thailand, versus paying $50 to U.S. Government facilities in
Bangkok or Chiang Mai.
Can I still notarize an affidavit of residency to open a bank account?
For now, yes, though we are working with the Royal Thai government to find a way to provide necessary residency
information that does not involve an expensive and inconvenient notarization

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/factsheet-cessation-of-residency-affidavits.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Get a yellow book...

Does not help for a drivers license in Bangkok. At least at the main DMV near Jatujak. Just got one from Thai immigration via mail. 200 baht. I was surprised they would not take my yellow house book. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, marin said:

Does not help for a drivers license in Bangkok. At least at the main DMV near Jatujak. Just got one from Thai immigration via mail. 200 baht. I was surprised they would not take my yellow house book. 

Bad luck that, I have had my yellow book for 12 years, in that time I have never had to get a residence letter, just copy my yellow book pages...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Bad luck that, I have had my yellow book for 12 years, in that time I have never had to get a residence letter, just copy my yellow book pages...

31 years for me. Most were covered by my work permit then when retired yellow book, but this year they wanted the residence certificate. After 31 years at the same address. TIT. 

• Sad 1

Just now, marin said:

31 years for me. Most were covered by my work permit then when retired yellow book, but this year they wanted the residence certificate. After 31 years at the same address. TIT. 

Hmmmm, not good......????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

As stated earlier....In Bangkok to obtain TDL you require certificate of residence OR "letter" from embassy.

The added kicker at CW is that to obtain a residence certificate you need to have done a 90 day report.

Think is becoming common in many other provinces now. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

As stated earlier....In Bangkok to obtain TDL you require certificate of residence OR "letter" from embassy.

The added kicker at CW is that to obtain a residence certificate you need to have done a 90 day report.

Think is becoming common in many other provinces now. 

I hope that stuff doesn't happen up here, last time I used my yellow book was for driving licences, about 6 months back....????

22 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

That is news!

Embassy is no longer issuing notarized affidavits stating address to be used for drivers licenses or buying/selling cars.

It's for our own good, they say!

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/factsheet-cessation-of-residency-affidavits.pdf

why would you pay $50 for something immigration issues free?

5 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

As I stated earlier certificate of residence is only provided by CW if you have done 90 day reports..

Yes realize that's only one province however many trying to obtain TDL consequently obtain letter from embassy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

It's not always free.  CW charges 200 baht last time I received one there, *IF* they'll issue you one.  At that time DLT wanted two copies, one for car and one for moto.  Other provinces?  Some may be free, others charge 500 baht.

As for CW, you need to have a 90-day report on file first, so no license for tourists, nor buying a used car.  The retired folks coming in on visa exempt and converting to non-O are looking at about six months before they can get their "free" residency certificate.

I'd much prefer a "free" certificate, but I might be willing to pay $50 to get it now.  The advantage to that is that I can use that embassy paper to open bank and brokerage accounts.

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As I stated earlier certificate of residence is only provided by CW if you have done 90 day reports..

Yes realize that's only one province however many trying to obtain TDL consequently obtain letter from embassy. 

Its the same in many Provinces now for the last couple years 

9 hours ago, marin said:

You have to visit the District Office that issued the Yellow book.

They will give you a certified copy of the same, mentioning your passport number + PINK ID

This is 100 % acceptable by any DLT nationwide.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:04 PM, zzzzz said:

One difference for sure, other than the high price of the former Embassy route:

You used to be able to get the certificate on the same day you applied at the U.S. Embassy... as opposed to waiting a week or two for Immigration to send it in the mail.

Also, at least in the past, at least some officers at BKK CW and other Immigration offices used to charge a couple hundred baht unofficial fee for residency certificates and not provide any receipt for the service... so something that was supposed to be free often wasn't free... Although, it's been some years since I applied for one there, so not sure what their practice about that is lately.

Also, another possible is last time I was at BKK CW last fall, the IO and supervisor told me there that henceforth they'd be requiring updated bank book photocopies (not a new bank letter) anytime anyone on a retirement extension came mid-cycle for any service from the L section.  Is it the L section that also handles residency certifs?

On 3/15/2023 at 11:50 AM, jaywalker2 said:

went to renew my passport today at the U.S, embassy's Citizens Services.

So in-person Passport renewal is a thing again? Or does it require some sort of special circumstance? 

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Try that it Bangkok.

For TDL they require a certificate of residence or embassy letter. 

Sometimes, if you ask,........

DLT Chatuchak accepted my US embassy "affidavit of single status" listing passport number and local address in lieu of the standard two documents listed.  Seems the clerk simply wants something with a fancy stamp.

If you go this route, get the marriage certificate first.  DLT will keep the original.

4 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Sometimes, if you ask,........

DLT Chatuchak accepted my US embassy "affidavit of single status" listing passport number and local address in lieu of the standard two documents listed.  Seems the clerk simply wants something with a fancy stamp.

If you go this route, get the marriage certificate first.  DLT will keep the original.

My post was about Thai driving license. TDL 

Have no idea what your post is about. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

My post was about Thai driving license. TDL 

Have no idea what your post is about. 

My post was about getting a Thai driving license. 

The clerk at DLT Chatuchak wanted either the immigration residency certificate or the notarized embassy residency affidavit.

I whipped out my no-longer-needed notarized embassy marital status affidavit and asked if it would suffice, as it had my local address.  The clerk accepted that as proof of residence.

Same thing happens in the banks.  They ask for the "embassy letter", but (Bangkok Bank) will accept the marital status affidavit as it has the pertinent information and a government seal.

13 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

The clerk at DLT Chatuchak wanted either the immigration residency certificate or the notarized embassy residency affidavit.

I whipped out my no-longer-needed notarized embassy marital status affidavit and asked if it would suffice, as it had my local address.  The clerk accepted that as proof of residence.

When

13 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

September, 2022.

That was prior to my first 90-day report.

Amazing the clerk accepted that.

For the majority that will not cut it 

Certificate of Residence or embassy letter is the norm 

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Piece of paper with the embassy notary seal showing my address, worked at DLT and at the bank.

Never hurts to ask.

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Maybe he was smartly dressed, respectful, smiled and asked politely, stranger things have happened.