Nigerian scammer promised the earth - Thai lady left with 300,000 baht loss

webfact

Just now, brianthainess said:

Thai lady left with 300,000 baht loss. :omfg:

I stand corrected. In mitigation, m'lord, the article says that a fake customs man would have been involved. By that it means to me that one wasn't, so who did she pass the money to? More poor Thai reporting perhaps, and what they should have written is was, not would have been?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How about the headline? 

Nigerian scammer promised the earth - Thai lady left with 300,000 baht loss

I stand corrected. In mitigation, m'lord, the article says that a fake customs man would have been involved. By that it means to me that one wasn't, so who did she pass the money to? More poor Thai reporting perhaps, and what they should have written is was, not would have been?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Only a  heartless and calloused individual would "blame the victim" in a case like this. Especially not being directly involved or privy to specific details, but rather judging by a mere news story. I have no respect for judgmental narrow minded people who lack empathy or compassion for fellow human beings. Such people do not fit with the Thai culture around them, and don't belong here. People are emotionally vulnerable, especially when it comes to searching for love to fill a lonely life, it's how we're made, and anyone can be victimized by a good con artist. No victim deserves it, or deserves to be vilified for making that mistake. That's why romance scammers have proliferated unchecked for decades.

Every person in the world has read about others being scammed by the romance scam countless times........If the red flags are ignored well whos falt is that?

A customs charge  should be in the 1,000s  not 100s of thousands....Unless your importing gold or dimonds.....

The romance scam is one of the most transparent scams around.....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Only a  heartless and calloused individual would "blame the victim" in a case like this. Especially not being directly involved or privy to specific details, but rather judging by a mere news story. I have no respect for judgmental narrow minded people who lack empathy or compassion for fellow human beings. Such people do not fit with the Thai culture around them, and don't belong here. People are emotionally vulnerable, especially when it comes to searching for love to fill a lonely life, it's how we're made, and anyone can be victimized by a good con artist. That's why romance scammers have proliferated unchecked for decades. No victim deserves it, or deserves to be vilified for making that mistake.

Do you try to be funny when you write: "Such people do not fit with the Thai culture around them, and don't belong here"?

Scammers are everywhere, including in Thailand. 

And idiots are everywhere, including Thailand.

How do you call a person who is willing to pay 300,000 THB to receive a package with a supposedly expensive gift from someone who they never met? I call such a person an idiot and not a victim.

Most people understand the difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Nigerian Prince scam worked because it preyed on greed, but these romance scams look for lonely and naive women where greed is not their main fault.

Yes, they are rather stupid to fall for this, but these scammers really grab them by professing "love" almost immediately after meeting them online.  I think these women have never been loved before so are desperate to believe it.

Thailand is a minor player, lonely women and men in the US and Europe lose millions to these scammers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

poorly written English, in which the report doesn't match the headline. Common here. There is no mention at all in the article that she paid the money.

In this case it was perfectly clear. just give it up mate, you have already admitted to your mistake.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

IMHO only a very greedy person would do that. It's not about romance, it's about greed.

I have no sympathy for such "victim".

You are right m8, she is greedy and greedy individuals always end up with big lossesssss

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Just one hitch, the gifts got stuck in customs and the lady needed to pay 300,000 baht for their release.

They were of course worth millions. They of course never existed, the lady would have been contacted by a Thai accomplice pretending to be a customs official,

Kick his sorry a$$ out of the country and find his Thai accomplice... make sure they never do it again.

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

There are gullible people everywhere. She might just have been desperate for someone to be with.

So  AKA customs person calls you on your phone, says hey missus we got some stuff here for you.

Transfer 300,000 baht to this account and we'll release it for you.

So you transfer it without seeing it, checking with the actual customs department or viewing it.

There's a difference between gullible and plain stupid.

I watched a programme recently on the Beeb where these scammers are actually held prisoner in compounds after being lured into "top jobs" in Cambodia doing telesales or some such - and then beaten and tortured if they don't make the grade.

So maybe a little sympathy there.

The owner of the compound is "above the law" and untouchable - sounds familiar.

Ok the scammers themselves are niave for accepting these jobs but still....

I still get all the emails promising me monies ready to be released, etc.  As far as the romance scams, did they ever face time with the person to see they are at least physically what they represent?  It is trivially easy to create profiles using other's pictures, documents, etc.

Kind of like hostage mob movies.  send a current photo or video, with today's newspaper, etc.

judgemental.png.f4c5ea509e5e95977fbff2f907fee60b.png

1 hour ago, Darksidedude said:

was in BKK years ago and this well dressed Nigerian guy come up to me on the street, before he opened his mouth i said move on fella

If he has not opened his mouth and told you his nationality how do you know the person was Nigerian or of any other nationality?

Edited by scottiejohn