How are the Russians paying for it all?

The MIR card is issued by the Central Bank of Russia. Some people get their salaries paid directly onto the card.

There are many more alternatives in the world to the American based Mastercard and Visa.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

You sell one property in Moscow and you can fund your stay in Thailand until the rest of your life.

I always have a laff when the average drunk sexpat tells me how "back home" the price of real estate is sky high because of those pesky foreigners.

No clue.

Had a Russian work for my family business in the 90's - he bought two properties in red square before he was ejected for working illegally in the UK.

14 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I suspect they got their money out long before the invasion, I know of one Russian about to pay 22 million for a property, Then I saw this morning that 40% of condo's in Phuket are owned by Russians how true that is I dont know,

Long before.  Remember the Soviet Union? Everything belonged to the state...didn't it?  When the USSR collapsed all the state run enterprises were carved up and 'sold' off - hence the amount of oligarchs.

From Oxford Languages:

oligarch
/ˈɒlɪɡɑːk/

noun
noun: oligarch; plural noun: oligarchs
  1. 1.
    a ruler in an oligarchy.

2. 2.
    a very rich business leader with a great deal of political influence (particularly with reference to individuals who benefited from the privatization of state-run industries after the collapse of the Soviet Union).
    "it seems more than a coincidence that former employees, advisors, and allies of the billionaire oligarch have been parachuted into such positions"  ????

Clearly most of the Russians in Thailand are not up to Oligarch level but the same methods of attainment applied + a lot of corruption and other highly dodgy business since then.

These people are not stupid, they knew their cash was never safe in Russia - they'll have had it out of there years ago. Foreign accounts/Offshore accounts/........now probably Thai accounts.

There's always a way - if you can pay.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Denim said:

All the more reason to move out to somewhere else.......or learn to speak Russian and get yourself a Babushka.

I can speak Russian.

There are very few single Russian ladies in Pattaya, for very obvious reasons.

At any rate, I don't talk to Russians now.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1