How are the Russians paying for it all?

On 3/19/2023 at 11:06 PM, KhaoYai said:

These people are not stupid, they knew their cash was never safe in Russia - they'll have had it out of there years ago. Foreign accounts/Offshore accounts/........now probably Thai accounts.

That's what I understand too and was told by a Russian I met a few months ago. Middle East US Dollar denominated acounts and before that in Euros in Cyprus but look what happened there in 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–2013_Cypriot_financial_crisis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Maybe you don't notice the Russian boyfriends and husbands. 

Often, they will be lurking near working ladies, serving as "security".

Or, you will see them together in the daytime.

Don’t just make things up. I meet them in the normal course of things and we exchange contact details. You are generalising. 

On 3/19/2023 at 8:43 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

Brits can be described as 1 pound poms (they are all broke), there is still some wealth in Northern Europeans (50+) below that they are <deleted> also.

Russian's are ok (middle/upper class) it's the gangs you need to worry about.

Absolute rubbish.

There's 2.8 mio USD millionaires alone in the UK, 16.6 mio in europe. That's 26% of all millionaires, another 43% is from North America... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_millionaires

"Some wealth" or more like most of the worlds wealth, just not desperate enough to buy <deleted>ty low quality Thai real estate...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

It would be useful to know, not that we ever will, what the thousands of Russians who are currently in Thailand, privately think about Putin's war.

How about the average Russian on the street in Russia? Some very interesting insights  on this channel https://www.youtube.com/@survey_headshot (unfortunate having "headshot" in the name IMO but it's just interviewing people) that could give an idea on the thoughts of those that have the means to leave; for a short holiday or otherwise.

On 3/19/2023 at 3:34 PM, Celsius said:

the average drunk sexpat tells me how "back home" the price of real estate is sky high because of those pesky foreigners.

Indeed, in the US it's not really the foreigners, but their own countrymen.

My mom escaped our certain overpriced home state for a cheaper midwestern state about 10 years ago. Others then caught wind of this, and the exodus began. The house she bought is now worth about 4x as much. My Thai wife and I will be going back soon. THANKS MOM!

10 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm very disappointed that this discussion of Russians and their obviously legitimate business dealings has failed to conjure any mention of this famous movie scene:

Same scene nightly at russian market Pratumnak! ????

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 4:31 PM, Goat said:

Well, considering that the Brits make up the highest percentage of sex tourists in Pattayas bars and brothels, as well as quite a high number of the pimps,

IMO that's BS. Prove it or it's not true. I haven't seen a pimp in Thailand since 1973 and I'd be interested to know where a "brothel" is in Pattaya. It's not Singapore!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I may have worded that badly, but I was challenging him to say where a brothel could be found in Pattaya, as I don't believe there are any.

That depends on your definition of a brothel!

From the OED;

brothel 
 "a house where men visit prostitutes. 

ORIGIN
    C16: from Middle English brothel 'worthless man, prostitute'.

If you replace "house" with "establishment" or similar then I would say there are quite a large number of them around!

On 3/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

3 properties on my soi have been bought by russian's so far this month, and we are not talking chump change.

maybe chump change for them.

I would guess that just as you and I ... all are individual stories. 

It is simple: they open Visa or MC in Belarus and Kazakhstan (also Turkey and Georgia to a lesser extent) and then transfer money there.
Or, they open a Thai bank account and transfer money thru crypto or some agents. Or even SWIFT, most russian small banks still have SWIFT working.

Edited by clearance

1 hour ago, clearance said:

It is simple: they open Visa or MC in Belarus and Kazakhstan (also Turkey and Georgia to a lesser extent) and then transfer money there.
Or, they open a Thai bank account and transfer money thru crypto or some agents. Or even SWIFT, most russian small banks still have SWIFT working.

We had a few Russian guest last year, On he booked from Turkey and another booked from Armenia, 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, Goat said:

Give me Russians over Brits anyday. Met many Russians I have liked.

i cant think of any Brits i even half liked. 

I asked one yesterday why he wasnt at home fighting for his country?

He answered "Because ukraine isnt my country"

There were posters on here only last week saying that the biggest majority of Russians are in agreement with their country's invasion of The Ukraine, but personally I do not agree with that.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:38 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Indeed, in the US it's not really the foreigners, but their own countrymen.

My mom escaped our certain overpriced home state for a cheaper midwestern state about 10 years ago. Others then caught wind of this, and the exodus began. The house she bought is now worth about 4x as much. My Thai wife and I will be going back soon. THANKS MOM!

But her house back in Connecticut,NY, NJ or Mass that was bought way back is probably worth $1 million ++ The house bought in Indiana for 30k is worth 120k now.  BTW it sounds a little odd like you and the wife are going back to do her in. Read your post. 

• Thumbs Up 1