How are the Russians paying for it all?

2 hours ago, fdsa said:

I don't want to spend 30 minutes on that video. Did this guy answer why gayropean sanctions target usual russian people, not Putin's friends, and why does gayrope still sponsor the war by buying russian oil and gas?

Gayrope?

No.

That youtube guy is not such a moron.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been told by Russians that less than 10% of the population have any real money, and 98% of wealthy Russians earned their money illegally or with crony companies, and a percent goes to Putins accounts.

And unlike Putin, there are alot of smart Russians out there. It is likely a percent of the ones we see had already left Russia, as there has been a huge brain drain going on for a decade. So, their money is not coming from Russia, but  rather worldwide accounts. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

Median salary in Russia is about $200 a week. That means half of them make less. 

So you're not exactly seeing JoeBlow-Ivan chowing down on a giant prawn beach side.

This may explain the rudeness; how polite are the top 1% where you come from?

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The cash will eventually run out, but I'm more interested in how they can stay beyond their visa expiry date.

Try not to lose any sleep over concern for  Russians.

They can look after themselves.

Don't forget that the Germans underestimated the  Russians.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, itsari said:

Try not to lose any sleep over concern for  Russians.

They can look after themselves.

Don't forget that the Germans underestimated the  Russians.

The Russians depended heavily on the US in WW2, it's false to say they looked after themselves. This time they don't have the uS industrial might on their side.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The Russians depended heavily on the US in WW2, it's false to say they looked after themselves. This time they don't have the uS industrial might on their side.

Yes of course you are right about the Russians being helped by the Americans.

But well before any help from the American's arrived the Germans underestimated the Russians.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2023 at 2:23 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

How are they paying for it all with Swift, Visa, Mastercard etc gone... How are they getting the money into the country to this degree?

MOSCOW, Sept 29 (Reuters) - Russia's central bank said on Thursday ... that Russian nationals ... would still be able to transfer up to $1 million to their foreign accounts a month and no more than $10,000 via money transfer systems.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/russias-cenbank-extends-restrictions-money-transfers-abroad-until-march-31-2022-09-29/

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, KhaoYai said:

Whilst I don't doubt there are plenty of 'good Russians', the type of people you might like, the fact that 70% of the population support Putin's war tells me that I wouldn't want to be too friendly with them at the moment.

That said, it is hardly surprising that they are the way they are - they've been fed a hell of a lot of propaganda for the last 24 years or so.  Told the West hates them, the West has turned most of the world against them etc. etc. Their news has been highly censored and concocted. Any opposition to Putin's regime that starts to become even remotely popular is rapidly stamped out. Their leaders are imprisoned on trumped up charges and some have faced assassination attempts.

I don't know if anyone saw Stephen Sackur's recent interview with Evgeny Popov on the BBC's Hardtalk programme. If that man is a typical Russian - I don't want to know any of them. Much like Putin, he's in his own parallel universe.  I'd like to believe however, that Popov is not a 'typical' Russian.  It would be useful to know, not that we ever will, what the thousands of Russians who are currently in Thailand, privately think about Putin's war.

Regular readers here may remember the photo posted a while back, of a hotel in Pattaya with a sign outside saying 'No Russians'.  You may not like Brits Mr. Goat, you may even prefer Russians to Brits but I'l tell you one thing - you've never seen a hotel in Pattaya with a sign outside saying 'No Brits'.

Frankly, its of no consequence who you like or dislike - as a Brit (English actually), I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Good business sense. Lose 50% of customers with a sign like that.

29 minutes ago, bignok said:

Good business sense. Lose 50% of customers with a sign like that.

They must have their reasons.  If for example, tourists of a particular nationality were well known for damaging their rooms, it may be good business sense to exclude them rather than take the risk. Note: that is an example, I have no idea why some Thai businesses refuse to accept Russians - but they clearly do.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking about attending a fitness camp (AKA a fat camp).

2 of my inquiries assure me of "no Russians". Unprompted. It's a selling point.

I have no issue with Russians even if they love Putin. Even terrible people have the right to dodge bullets.

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I've been thinking about attending a fitness camp (AKA a fat camp).

2 of my inquiries assure me of "no Russians". Unprompted. It's a selling point.

I have no issue with Russians even if they love Putin. Even terrible people have the right to dodge bullets.

those who support the war must go invade Ukraine themselves.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, fdsa said:

those who support the war must go invade Ukraine themselves.

Not really. The Russian POV is that actual fighting is mostly for the underclass and racial / provincial minorities. Not all that different than how the U.S. military is set up but that's another story.

ive had two Russians asking to stay with me in CM...even tho im not there yet....one said she was sleeping in a tent down south..47 yr old woman

other was a guy in his 20s.......was tempted to ask them about their thoughts on the war.....they contacted me thru a travel/fb kind of site if wondering

2 requests within few days...was also reason when i visited Patts i left within 24 hrs..felt i was living in russia.....with a few added ladyboys about

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ive had two Russians asking to stay with me in CM...even tho im not there yet....one said she was sleeping in a tent down south..47 yr old woman

other was a guy in his 20s.......was tempted to ask them about their thoughts on the war.....they contacted me thru a travel/fb kind of site if wondering

2 requests within few days...was also reason when i visited Patts i left within 24 hrs..felt i was living in russia.....with a few added ladyboys about

A few added ladyboys?

So you new the amount of male sex workers in the town before your visit ?

You are implying that Russians are big customers for Thai  men dressed as ladies taking drugs to grow breasts .

You maybe correct as I have no idea and neither do you

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

If one percent of the 146 million population have money that means over 1.4 million have the means to stay in Thailand.

350 thousand people have more than 1 million dollars 

It's not difficult to understand why there are so many Russian people are here in Thailand .

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:18 PM, itsari said:

A few added ladyboys?

So you new the amount of male sex workers in the town before your visit ?

You are implying that Russians are big customers for Thai  men dressed as ladies taking drugs to grow breasts .

You maybe correct as I have no idea and neither do you

ive been living in LOS part time since 2008

i saw quite a few in patts as that area tends to draw sex workers---feel free to research that or visit-which is did on both

yep i have lady boy friends up north and she even held my mbike for me when i came home--believe it or not they are people too!

i suppose youre right---the russians only go to patts for pad thai and 7-11...my mistake!

does this mean we are not pals anymore?....(tears well up)

thanks for sharing!

On 3/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, Jenkins9039 said:

3 properties on my soi have been bought by russian's so far this month, and we are not talking chump change.

Exactly. Thailand has been having trouble with the Chinese now they will most likely start having trouble with the Russians.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Exactly. Thailand has been having trouble with the Chinese now they will most likely start having trouble with the Russians.

It's a shame as lost one good neighbour, one of the other neighbours managed to get a friend to buy two properties (these two neighbours rented), but so far 8 houses have gone up or going up for sale or sold.

Price ranges from 6-20m THB with some refurbs of about 2/3mb for the lower priced ones.

Russian's snapping them up like chocolate cakes.

Two years ago Chinese were buying up, had one Chinese home buyer brokering the sales (overpriced IMO) for one property on the road for 13m THB, one night he entered my back yard (wife was home) and offered to arrange 25mb sale. Gone crazy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1