How are the Russians paying for it all?

17 hours ago, ezzra said:

Russians are very, very resourceful people i suspect that many of them if not all, bring cash with

them or have access to a foreign payment arrangement. 

The cash will eventually run out, but I'm more interested in how they can stay beyond their visa expiry date.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I can speak Russian.

There are very few single Russian ladies in Pattaya, for very obvious reasons.

At any rate, I don't talk to Russians now.

I had to study it at grammar school. Even back then they were expecting war with Russia. All I can remember is ....'.she is a very beautiful women'and 'take your trousers off'. Oh , plus  ' what's the time '  Dasvidania

Im wondering if the Russian government know how many have done one, A friend of mine told me Zanzibar was full of them Russians, That was before Christmas

Edited by ChipButty
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Long before.  Remember the Soviet Union? Everything belonged to the state...didn't it?  When the USSR collapsed all the state run enterprises were carved up and 'sold' off - hence the amount of oligarchs.

From Oxford Languages:

oligarch
/ˈɒlɪɡɑːk/

noun
noun: oligarch; plural noun: oligarchs
  1. 1.
    a ruler in an oligarchy.

2. 2.
    a very rich business leader with a great deal of political influence (particularly with reference to individuals who benefited from the privatization of state-run industries after the collapse of the Soviet Union).
    "it seems more than a coincidence that former employees, advisors, and allies of the billionaire oligarch have been parachuted into such positions"  ????

Clearly most of the Russians in Thailand are not up to Oligarch level but the same methods of attainment applied + a lot of corruption and other highly dodgy business since then.

These people are not stupid, they knew their cash was never safe in Russia - they'll have had it out of there years ago. Foreign accounts/Offshore accounts/........now probably Thai accounts.

There's always a way - if you can pay.

factually incorrect opening.

All assets were divided up across the entire population, they then sold their positions to what would become oligarchs. 

Hence statement "Provide everyone with a carving and within 18yrs will be back to where we was".

55 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I can speak Russian.

There are very few single Russian ladies in Pattaya, for very obvious reasons.

At any rate, I don't talk to Russians now.

There are quite a few single women, contrary to your assertion. 

20 hours ago, Denim said:

All the more reason to move out to somewhere else.......or learn to speak Russian and get yourself a Babushka.

Babushka means old woman, doesn't it? What's the word for young woman? (asking for a friend ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Give me Russians over Brits anyday. Met many Russians I have liked.

i cant think of any Brits i even half liked. 

I asked one yesterday why he wasnt at home fighting for his country?

He answered "Because ukraine isnt my country"

Agreed. And I'm originally British.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Give me Russians over Brits anyday. Met many Russians I have liked.

i cant think of any Brits i even half liked. 

I asked one yesterday why he wasnt at home fighting for his country?

He answered "Because ukraine isnt my country"

Where do you meet these Brits? probably bar fly types, best to keep out of the bars

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/19/2023 at 6:50 PM, Jingthing said:

Crypto according to Sanctioned Ivan youtube. He's now in Turkiye but headed to Pattaya. He's a flippin legend.

A star is born. Sanctioned Ivan featured on UK Channel 4. From Russia to Turkiye to Pattaya with love. 

20 hours ago, NextG said:

There are quite a few single women, contrary to your assertion. 

Maybe you don't notice the Russian boyfriends and husbands. 

Often, they will be lurking near working ladies, serving as "security".

Or, you will see them together in the daytime.

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Whilst I don't doubt there are plenty of 'good Russians', the type of people you might like, the fact that 70% of the population support Putin's war tells me that I wouldn't want to be too friendly with them at the moment.

That said, it is hardly surprising that they are the way they are - they've been fed a hell of a lot of propaganda for the last 24 years or so.  Told the West hates them, the West has turned most of the world against them etc. etc. Their news has been highly censored and concocted.

I don't know if anyone saw Stephen Sackur's recent interview with Evgeny Popov on the BBC's Hardtalk programme. If that man is a typical Russian - I don't want to know any of them. Much like Putin, he's in his own parallel universe.  I'd like to believe however, that Popov is not a 'typical' Russian.  It would be useful to know, not that we ever will, what the thousands of Russians who are currently in Thailand, privately think about Putin's war.

Regular readers here may remember the photo posted a while back, of a hotel in Pattaya with a sign outside saying 'No Russians'.  You may not like Brits Mr. Goat, you may even prefer Russians to Brits but I'l tell you one thing - you've never seen a hotel in Pattaya with a sign outside saying 'No Brits'.

Frankly, its of no consequence who you like or dislike - as a Brit (English actually), I won't be losing any sleep over it.

Over the years here in Phuket many a landlord would tell agent's "No Russians" I even had the question asked Do you accept Russians, We have had many Russian guest over the years just the odd one but I could say the same about other nationalities, I remember some years ago a tour company contact us to offer our guest boat trips, then they said No Russians, How can you say that? 

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Whilst I don't doubt there are plenty of 'good Russians', the type of people you might like, the fact that 70% of the population support Putin's war tells me that I wouldn't want to be too friendly with them at the moment.

There are farang who seem to be in favour of the Ukraine invasion also, you know, conspiracy theory types

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 6:44 PM, steven100 said:

Thailand said they are refugees ...  so that must mean that they can only stay in the condo or hotel for a few months.  How can we help these poor Russian refugees    ? 

If they are between 18 and 20 yrs old, blue eyes/blonde hair and weigh 55kg or less.................I have a spare bed at my place.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1