Pattaya Motorcyclist Rear-ends 18-Wheeler in Fatal Accident

webfact

image.jpeg

By Tanakorn Panyadee

A 38-year-old man fatally rear-ended a truck in Pattaya’s Banglamung district at 3 AM this morning, March 19th.

The crash occurred in front of a Makro store in South Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road inbound to Pattaya, Pol. Capt. Sanan Kotanon, deputy investigation chief at Pattaya, told The Pattaya News.

Police and Sawang Boriboon rescue workers who rushed to the scene found a crashed red Honda Wave motorbike on the road beside an 18-wheeler with Prachuap Khiri Khan license plates.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/03/19/pattaya-motorcyclist-rear-ends-18-wheeler-in-fatal-accident/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-03-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

9 minutes ago, Homburg said:

So sad, certainly not the first, and won't be the last.  Thai roads are dangerous.  RIP.

can it really be considered sad anymore ? how long must this go on before these people start to take real action and change this ? 

27 minutes ago, Homburg said:

So sad, certainly not the first, and won't be the last.  Thai roads are dangerous.  RIP.

Yes, for motorists and pedestrians. Nearly sideswiped on foot on Buakhao yesterday. Only a matter of time!

• Like 1

Another unnecessary tragedy. Probably too fast and not paying attention to the road. No mention of intoxication or helmet use.

The truck was very easy to see with lights on a well lit road. Can't see any blame for the truck driver. The wide turn looks like it was required to enter the store's premises.

• Like 2

Our village to the next 'big' town is a 20 min bike ride..........three kids under 15 have died in separate accidents this week.........all rode into the back of parked trailers.

Of course trailers don't have/need tail lights or reflectors.....why would they?

Amazing Thailand.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

With respect the idiot hit the back of the truck (rear-ended). Either drunk, on the phone or just plain not looking where he was going. I'm with the truck driver on this one

Right. I mean, there's no way that truck just did a upturn in front if him without looking. They never do that, do they.

Looking at the picture, it appears the truck was turning left from the right lane. Any bets he didn't check the way was clear before turning?

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Truck did exactly same maneuver  just in front of me when we went to Makro on Sunday morning, i explained to my wife that a guy was killed at night when a truck did exactly the same thing right here, her reply was simple, " why motorbike driver cannot see big truck"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Road Warrior said:

could be a further case of undertaking common to most thali drivers 

Or a truck driver swinging left from the middle of the road across the inside lane without checking it is clear. Not a rare occurrence here either.  These vehicles are often too large to maneuver safely. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

With respect the idiot hit the back of the truck (rear-ended). Either drunk, on the phone or just plain not looking where he was going. I'm with the truck driver on this one

Totally agree, no one i know is out on their bike at 0300.

As you allude to what he hit was not a packet of peanuts, how would you not see that and be cautious???

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Totally agree, no one i know is out on their bike at 0300.

As you allude to what he hit was not a packet of peanuts, how would you not see that and be cautious???

Alcohol, stupidity, drugs, on the phone - perm any one from four.....

1 hour ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Right. I mean, there's no way that truck just did a upturn in front if him without looking. They never do that, do they.

Looking at the picture, it appears the truck was turning left from the right lane. Any bets he didn't check the way was clear before turning?

Turning left into Makro fron lane 2 of 4.

How else would he get in that Makro entrance,. The bike rear ended him..........ergo, only person at fault.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The bike rear-ended the truck.........................was it too <deleted> small to see!

If the bike was traveling a speed in the left lane, and the truck turned left in front of the bike, the bike could easily rear-end the truck while attempting to avoid the accident by swerving to the right around the truck. 

Again, the truck was moving slow and the bike was flying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:
2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

could be a further case of undertaking common to most thali drivers 

Look at the photo again. The bike is in the same middle lane as the lorry. That isn't a sign of undertaking.

I disagree...    based on that photo I would suspect the motorcyclist travelling at speed saw the truck up ahead and was initially planning on under-taking the truck. However, as the truck initiated the left turn from the middle lane (was the truck indicating ???) the motorcyclist realised the ‘undertake’ was not on and attempted to pull out of the manoeuvre to pass on the right, but, was travelling too quickly for any evasive action to be effective... 

OR... also not uncommon and it astonishes me how common this is on roads here and how many seem to have such a lack of self preservation - The motorcyclist simply wasn’t paying attention and looking where he was going. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Goat said:

were you on a footpath or walking on the road?

Are you joking. A footpath on Soi Buakao!! There is a 100 meter raised one at Tree Town - taken over- and a small one at Klang end. Otherwise they don't exist.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, LennyW said:

Truck did exactly same maneuver  just in front of me when we went to Makro on Sunday morning, i explained to my wife that a guy was killed at night when a truck did exactly the same thing right here, her reply was simple, " why motorbike driver cannot see big truck"?

Seen it happen loads of times...  Truck in middle lane, going very slowly about to turn left...   Then can only do so from the middle lane as the ‘entrance’ and turn itself is otherwise too tight to successfully complete.... 

Its common sense... when a lorry is going very slowly up ahead, slow down... it's about to make a manoeuvre, or has slowed for some other reason that as yet, we cannot see. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:
4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OR... also not uncommon and it astonishes me how common this is on roads here and how many seem to have such a lack of self preservation - The motorcyclist simply wasn’t paying attention and looking where he was going. 

I don't think Thais have much of an attention span. The mind wanders. These days they call it a micro-sleep.

Especially when a little ‘booze’ is involved... 

At 3am... what are the odds that deceased had been drinking..... ??? (rhetorical) 

45 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Turning left into Makro fron lane 2 of 4.

How else would he get in that Makro entrance,. The bike rear ended him..........ergo, only person at fault.

Unfortunately as often, a lack of foresight, this time by Makro. The entrance is very narrow and should have been at least twice the width so that trailers could enter from the left lane not the middle and this should be rectified. 

• Sad 1