Pattaya Motorcyclist Rear-ends 18-Wheeler in Fatal Accident

webfact

8 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

Unfortunately as often, a lack of foresight, this time by Makro. The entrance is very narrow and should have been at least twice the width so that trailers could enter from the left lane not the middle and this should be rectified. 

Tractor-trailers requiring an extra lane to turn in is common most everywhere I have ever been. 

It would hardly make sense for municipalities to make roads 25-50% wider to accommodate trucks making deliveries a few times a day, or for Makro to burn up half their parking lot to accommodate deliveries.

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The bike is in the same middle lane as the lorry. 

I thought I read a tread where all the crazies who actually drive scooters say that scooters need to always be riding in the leftmost lane? (Some citing it is an actual law.)

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I thought I read a tread where all the crazies who actually drive scooters say that scooters need to always be riding in the leftmost lane? (Some citing it is an actual law.)

Slower traffic to the left lanes, except when passing is and always was the law, here/TH and most countries.  Right or left depending on the country, here left obviously since RHD country.

Nothing specifically stating scooters much use left lane, I think.

Except on motorways/inter province/divided hwys, can pass on left if safe.

Don't think it would matter what lane this guy was.  Obviously wasn't paying attention.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

First, you are correct. But the law means nothing in Thailand, as you know. Second, I assume he was going to overtake the slow-moving lorry but misjudged, probably because he was going too fast. You don't overtake in the left-hand lane when a lorry is blocking it in front. Of course, that is common here, but my money is on either failing to overtake properly or lack of attention. I vote the latter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

Unfortunately as often, a lack of foresight, this time by Makro. The entrance is very narrow and should have been at least twice the width so that trailers could enter from the left lane not the middle and this should be rectified. 

I would certainly agree with that (and MAY have avoided this accident  -  but only one person was at fault in this case

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

Truck did exactly same maneuver  just in front of me when we went to Makro on Sunday morning, i explained to my wife that a guy was killed at night when a truck did exactly the same thing right here, her reply was simple, " why motorbike driver cannot see big truck"?

Smart lady!!!

1 hour ago, Lemonltr said:

Are you joking. A footpath on Soi Buakao!! There is a 100 meter raised one at Tree Town - taken over- and a small one at Klang end. Otherwise they don't exist.

Soi Buakao is frightening to cross. Third Road is bad enough too.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Of course, that is common here, but my money is on either failing to overtake properly or lack of attention. I vote the latter.

I agree....  I have posted on here a few times my opinion, most Thais don't look past their noses when driving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I disagree...    based on that photo I would suspect the motorcyclist travelling at speed saw the truck up ahead and was initially planning on under-taking the truck. However, as the truck initiated the left turn from the middle lane (was the truck indicating ???) the motorcyclist realised the ‘undertake’ was not on and attempted to pull out of the manoeuvre to pass on the right, but, was travelling too quickly for any evasive action to be effective... 

OR... also not uncommon and it astonishes me how common this is on roads here and how many seem to have such a lack of self preservation - The motorcyclist simply wasn’t paying attention and looking where he was going. 

The lad was on a scooter, not a GSXR1000.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I doubt that the truck reversed into the bike!

Well it was traveling at right angles to the road by the looks of it... I doubt the bike hit the truck on purpose.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well it was traveling at right angles to the road by the looks of it... I doubt the bike hit the truck on purpose.

It was turning left into MAKRO ...what angle did you expect.

Perhaps it was invisible - that could be why the retard on the bike failed to avoid a 40' articulated lorry. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It was turning left into MAKRO ...what angle did you expect.

Perhaps it was invisible - that could be why the retard on the bike failed to avoid a 40' articulated lorry. 

Then he wasn't hit from behind was he! Turning from the right lane.. there is a possibility he cut across the bike.... truck drivers are reckless here! Hard to avoid something occupying 70% of the road! (Particularly Thai M/C drivers as they  seem to react slowly and not think ahead well.)

Edited by jacko45k

33 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What, is it just truck drivers that are reckless in Thailand?

You seem to have misinterpreted.....I did not write only truck drivers were reckless!  They are all out to get you!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Then he wasn't hit from behind was he! Turning from the right lane.. there is a possibility he cut across the bike.... truck drivers are reckless here! Hard to avoid something occupying 70% of the road! (Particularly Thai M/C drivers as they  seem to react slowly and not think ahead well.)

50% there are 4 lanes on that well lit stretch of road.

He rear ended the truck. <deleted> Jacko ☺️ read the report.

Running into the back of something is invariably the fault of the rear vehicle.

13 hours ago, stoner said:

can it really be considered sad anymore ? how long must this go on before these people start to take real action and change this ? 

don't see what change you're suggesting, it was one person not paying attention. not that i'm saying thai roads are safe...

8 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Right. I mean, there's no way that truck just did a upturn in front if him without looking. They never do that, do they.

Looking at the picture, it appears the truck was turning left from the right lane. Any bets he didn't check the way was clear before turning?

The joy of undertaking.

Just do not do it.????????

2 hours ago, it is what it is said:

don't see what change you're suggesting, it was one person not paying attention. not that i'm saying thai roads are safe...

ummmmm the entire driving system and almost every single aspect of it needs to change. oh ya and throw in some actual policing to boot.

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It is possible the truck turned in front of the bike, but the truck was going slow, and the bike had to be flying. 

The bike hit the rear of the truck, not the left hand side that's why the bike and the body are directly behind the truck, not alongside it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You know a ‘right angle’ is 90 degrees, right ???

This picture clearly shows how the truck has started turning left from the middle lane.

The rear is the HGV is at about 30 degree... (very far from the a right angle) -the motorcyle hit the rear of the truck, not the cab.

Its clear from this photo (to most on this thread) that the truck needed to turn into Makro from the second lane and make a ’very sharp turn’... the truck would have had to have been going very slowly at this stage... perhaps walking pace.

The motorcyclist simply rode into an object in the road that was pretty much stationary.

Its pretty simple and pretty obvious what happened. The motorcyclist wasn’t paying attention to the road ahead - why ? (at 3am... drunk ?)

image.png.64da5f01d4f52f3b086c1bad44d820d0.png