Pattaya Motorcyclist Rear-ends 18-Wheeler in Fatal Accident

webfact

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one here knows but let's keep banging on about it and sniping at each other as if we do!

The photographs provide a pretty reasonable indication of what happened.

It could be argued that we don’t know, we weren’t there, that we are making assumptions etc etc...  but the photo does point us in the direction of very specific assumption.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one here knows but let's keep banging on about it and sniping at each other as if we do!

The photographs provide a pretty reasonable indication of what happened.

I know, I'm not disputing the obvious, I've been posting that the bike very obviously hit the back of the truck, not the side but the obvious won't stop any of us from going on about it all night!

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

50% there are 4 lanes on that well lit stretch of road.

He rear ended the truck. <deleted> Jacko ☺️ read the report.

Running into the back of something is invariably the fault of the rear vehicle.

The right hand lane has solid lane markings for some reason ...... possibly as there used to be a U-turn there. 

I have ridden a small bike in Pattaya for some years now , Sukhumvit and trucks are deadly. 

You are also guessing of course, we only have the word of the truck driver now, who seemed to be blocking 70% of the road making a dangerous maneuver.... and does not have eyes on the road behind.

Easy to heap blame on a dead man   I suppose. I still suspect the truck may have cut across his path,

Root cause appears to be an oversized truck trying to get into a sharp left turn directly off a highway and using too much of the road. 

Makro has killed a lot of people over the years, quite a few because of the U-Turn that had to be closed off. 

Edited by jacko45k

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You actually looked at the photos before you posted the above, right ??

When something is occupying 70% of the road in front of you... you slow down !!!... the motorcyclist didn’t !!!...  

Was the truck driver reckless ?...  he was turning left from the middle lane because there was no other option for access to the entranceway with an HGV.

The truck ‘was hit from behind’ he photo shows that clearly with the position of the truck in the road.

The truck didn’t ‘cut across’ the bike, otherwise the bike would have hit the side of the truck. 

Well I looked at the one photo.... doesn't appear to be a rear end hit to me. As said, truck is partially across the highway at an angle. (Across most of it actually). the bike driver likely tried to go right.. they just seem to react slowly and don't think ahead here... I would have been worried about the truck, as I know what they often do. 

That is the picture after the truck came to a stop, not at the time of the incident,  

But you are admitting the truck turned across his path... what we do not know is how far away he was at the time. Everyone babbles on as if the truck turned a half mile in front of the bike.... I do not know that.

The truck driver has no option but to kill someone because his vehicle is too big for the entrance? ??

Killed a lot of road users that Makro!

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its pretty simple and pretty obvious what happened. The motorcyclist wasn’t paying attention to the road ahead - why ? (at 3am... drunk ?)

The truck driver was drunk?

It is not obvious what happened without some live video. You are just guessing. One thing for sure, truck was struggling to get in to the Makro entrance and blocking Sukhumvit at nighttime. 

Is Makro open for deliveries at 3am?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The right hand lane has solid lane markings for some reason ...... possibly as there used to be a U-turn there. 

I have ridden a small bike in Pattaya for some years now , Sukhumvit and trucks are deadly. 

You are also guessing of course, we only have the word of the truck driver now, who seemed to be blocking 70% of the road making a dangerous maneuver.... and does not have eyes on the road behind.

Easy to heap blame on a dead man   I suppose. I still suspect the truck may have cut across his path,

Root cause appears to be an oversized truck trying to get into a sharp left turn directly off a highway and using too much of the road. 

Makro has killed a lot of people over the years, quite a few because of the U-Turn that had to be closed off. 

You are right about the U -turn which was closed a few years ago after a Farang got wiped out. That lane is in constant use and (in day time) it is very much a fast lane.

There is only one root cause - the motorbike rear-ended the truck. I am not guessing I have seen trucks make that turn many times. The truck would not turn from lane 4.....you can see from the truck's position exactly what happened. This looks like an early hours delivery, quiet road, if the biker could not see, or stop in time for a huge container truck then his his judgement was flawed by any number of the factors I mentioned earlier. A toxicology report would be the next thing to see.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You know a ‘right angle’ is 90 degrees, right ???

This picture clearly shows how the truck has started turning left from the middle lane.

The rear is the HGV is at about 30 degree... (very far from the a right angle) -the motorcyle hit the rear of the truck, not the cab.

Its clear from this photo (to most on this thread) that the truck needed to turn into Makro from the second lane and make a ’very sharp turn’... the truck would have had to have been going very slowly at this stage... perhaps walking pace.

The motorcyclist simply rode into an object in the road that was pretty much stationary.

Its pretty simple and pretty obvious what happened. The motorcyclist wasn’t paying attention to the road ahead - why ? (at 3am... drunk ?)

image.png.64da5f01d4f52f3b086c1bad44d820d0.png

The truck looks like it is about at a ninety, the trailer not so much. 

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's why he said it would be a wager.

What are the chances someone that swears they know something they can't know is going to pay a bet? 

I've no idea but I'm sure that if you did accept his wager he would trust you implicitly to pay up despite your self-doubt.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seen it happen loads of times...  Truck in middle lane, going very slowly about to turn left...   Then can only do so from the middle lane as the ‘entrance’ and turn itself is otherwise too tight to successfully complete.... 

Its common sense... when a lorry is going very slowly up ahead, slow down... it's about to make a manoeuvre, or has slowed for some other reason that as yet, we cannot see. 

You are applying logic and common sense as well as drawing on the education you received in order to competently operate a motor vehicle. 

None of that exists here.

4 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

There is only one root cause -

You do not know that, and have no proof, I have not seen any video evidence.... I believe there is a strong possibility the truck cut  across without checking for anything on his inside...  perhaps due to tiredness after a long driving spell, or a hearty evening meal.  Trucks having to go to the 2nd lane, and swinging their back end out into the 3rd is unsafe. Reminds me of the cement truck wiping out 2 young girls on his inside on the dolphin roundabout... that is why it is no longer a roundabout. Number of times a large vehicle just has to pass me (when I am on my small motorcycle), then wants to turn left and pulls Infront of me is many!  I have cut back on the bike use now.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You do not know that, and have no proof, I have not seen any video evidence.... I believe there is a strong possibility the truck cut  across without checking for anything on his inside...  perhaps due to tiredness after a long driving spell, or a hearty evening meal.  Trucks having to go to the 2nd lane, and swinging their back end out into the 3rd is unsafe. Reminds me of the cement truck wiping out 2 young girls on his inside on the dolphin roundabout... that is why it is no longer a roundabout. Number of times a large vehicle just has to pass me (when I am on my small motorcycle), then wants to turn left and pulls Infront of me is many!  I have cut back on the bike use now.

Correct. The truck turned from the second lane at almost 90 degrees. Fact, it is what they always do at that entrance.  

The bike ran into the back of him. The back....not the side, not the front  -  the back.

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The bike ran into the back of him. The back....not the side, not the front  -  the back.

And you know this how?... I only see where the bike and truck ended up. At the side left corner of the truck, after the truck had presumably rolled further forward and left. Unless you are suggesting the truck was stationary at time of impact blocking lanes  1,  2 , part of 3 and the Macro entrance?

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And you know this how?... I only see where the bike and truck ended up. At the side left corner of the truck, after the truck had presumably rolled further forward and left. Unless you are suggesting the truck was stationary at time of impact blocking lanes  1,  2 , part of 3 and the Macro entrance?

Are you familiar with that entrance?

I am.

Unlikely that the truck was stationary at the time but undoubtedly moving slowly as it is a tight access.

All that is irrelevant the bike didn't see/stop.....that is all that matters.

Unless, of course, you think the truck was reversing at speed out of that entrance!!  ????????

8 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Unless, of course, you think the truck was reversing at speed out of that entrance!! 

Who knows what he is up to after being out all night!

There is a very clear pic of the entrance on Google Maps (Feb 2022).. is it still the same? Looks dangerous to me.

If the truck was moving forward the bike must have hit it on the side. 

The truck was likely moving very slowly while making the turn, it could not have "...rolled further forward and left..." much, unless you believe the truck driver ran back and dragged the bike and rider up to the back of the trailer. 

• Haha 1

Who knows what he is up to after being out all night!

There is a very clear pic of the entrance on Google Maps (Feb 2022).. is it still the same? Looks dangerous to me.

If the truck was moving forward the bike must have hit it on the side. 

Jacko, give up. You are embarrassing yourself.

I thought that you would have been familiar with the phrase 'back-ended'.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:
On 3/20/2023 at 5:25 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The truck driver was drunk?

Thats your takeaway from my question  ???... If you're being facetious, post an emoji to indicate so, if that was a genuine response...  well... I just give up !!!.. 

It is not obvious what happened without some live video. You are just guessing. One thing for sure, truck was struggling to get in to the Makro entrance and blocking Sukhumvit at nighttime. 

Live video would remove doubt as to what seems obvious from the photographs...  Its only you who quite astonishingly still believes the truck was hit on the side when it obviously wasn’t. 

Is Makro open for deliveries at 3am?

This outpouring of intellectual brilliance is quite overwhelming !!!!   ???? ????

... take a wild guess.. Delivery truck arriving at 3am...  

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Jacko, give up. You are embarrassing yourself.

I thought that you would have been familiar with the phrase 'back-ended'.

No, not my scene being back ended.

I think you too make yourself look foolish banging on as if you were there, when you were obviously not and know no more than anyone else. Most people who don't know have the sense to keep quiet.

Anyhow, since Makro seem intent on causing accidents, they should get some cameras recording there. 

It is possible he was arriving early to sleep of last night's drinking session....

Yeah, it's possible he got his load the day before, then took the truck bar-hopping, and was on his way to Makro where he can take a nap. 

22 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, it's possible he got his load the day before, then took the truck bar-hopping, and was on his way to Makro where he can take a nap. 

He just parked up at the side of the highway with no lights on for a few hours .

30 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

He just parked up at the side of the highway with no lights on for a few hours .

Yes, it's nice the trucking company let's him take a loaded truck home, It's just another of the many benefits of being a drunken truck driver in Thailand, you get a free "company car" to drive while you're off your shift.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:44 AM, Homburg said:

So sad, certainly not the first, and won't be the last.  Thai roads are dangerous.  RIP.

The roads are not dangerous, only the idiots and those who switch off their brain when they start any motorised transport are dangerous