Wrong Words

KannikaP

Just back from an Emirates flight, where the instructions on the screen says 'Be careful when opening the HATRACK'

This is not the correct word for the Overhead Storage.

Others I dispute are FOOTAGE when applied to say news reports, and VT rolling. They don't use videotape any more.

MIXTAPE is one I hear regularly on the radio. Who uses tape?

So come on, let's have a few more Out of Date phrases or sayings. Just for fun and not to confuse anyone!

Edited by KannikaP
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, markclover said:

The wording in British passports ''to allow the bearer to pass freely without let or hindrance'' is out of date.

And also the phrase 'Leave to Stay" when applied to a UK Visa

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Not wrong but often causes instant confusion; 'Next Wednesday'. Does that mean Wednesday next week or the next occuring Wednesday i.e. this week?

"This Wednesday" would be used to imply this week, "Next Wednesday" is next week.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Not wrong but often causes instant confusion; 'Next Wednesday'. Does that mean Wednesday next week or the next occuring Wednesday i.e. this week?

Depends on when they choose to repay the loan.

Optional.????????

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

"This Wednesday" would be used to imply this week, "Next Wednesday" is next week.

Absolutely. It's poor English. Another example are signs in shop windows; 'Shop closed from..........to'. The 'from' date is clear but the 'to' date, is that inclusive or not? Canny shopkeepers will write 'reopen on....' to avoid that confusion.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

Absolutely. It's poor English. Another example are signs in shop windows; 'Shop closed from..........to'. The 'from' date is clear but the 'to' date, is that inclusive or not? Canny shopkeepers will write 'reopen on....' to avoid that confusion.  

And signs which say "Open Monday to Sunday".

Or petrol stations open "Not 24 hours"

• Love It 1