"Reefer Madness": Thai media continue to attack marijuana use blaming it for violence/addiction

webfact

On 3/25/2023 at 5:48 AM, Gecko123 said:

Cannabis tourism is such a social scourge because of the example it sets for those looking to foreigners as role models. Because many tourists are perceived as being relatively affluent, consuming cannabis becomes a marker of modernity and is seen as a harmless recreational activity with no downside side effects. Maybe smoking weed will help you get ahead in this world.

This will generate a level of fascination and interest in experimentation with cannabis and, likely, other drugs. For those who argue that cannabis has been around for generations, I would point out that newer more potent varieties are being introduced. I also think that there has been some anecdotal evidence that Thai youth are increasingly being attracted to places like Pattaya because of the ease of cannabis purchase.

Those who argue that cannabis is less harmful than alcohol or methamphetamine ignore that many of these drugs are used in tandem and the intoxicating effects are amplified when used together. Those who argue that cannabis isn't a gateway drug need to reflect back on their own youth and how much drug experimentation went on with cannabis and alcohol typically being the start off drugs.

And what about the expat community? People want to portray the typical expat cannabis consumer as a sophisticate who takes the occasional after dinner puff. You're telling me it doesn't increase social isolation and anti-social behavior? You're telling me it doesn't encourage a sedentary house bound life style? How many of you have Thai spouses who share your enjoyment of cannabis? This isn't a source of domestic tension? It's not primarily a solitary activity? What about if kids are in the house? Smoking cannabis is conducive to raising kids? How "quality" is the time you share with your kids when you're stoned? What about those who are struggling with social isolation, mental health, or age related health issues? If you tell me you're interacting with people left and right, what's the quality of that interaction like if you're stoned? If you're buzzing around town stoned, what about road safety? How's your Thai language study coming along? Kinda hard to concentrate when you're stoned, isn't it?

Anyone who claims to have an interest in Thailand's social and educational development and road safety should be strongly opposed to these misguided government initiatives.

You've made a lot of good points here, but it will fall on the deaf ears of the THC addicts who frequent this part of the forum.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A personal attack on another poster has been removed. Continue and you will face suspension.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

On 3/25/2023 at 7:48 PM, Gecko123 said:

And what about the expat community? People want to portray the typical expat cannabis consumer as a sophisticate who takes the occasional after dinner puff. You're telling me it doesn't increase social isolation and anti-social behavior? You're telling me it doesn't encourage a sedentary house bound life style? How many of you have Thai spouses who share your enjoyment of cannabis? This isn't a source of domestic tension? It's not primarily a solitary activity? What about if kids are in the house? Smoking cannabis is conducive to raising kids? How "quality" is the time you share with your kids when you're stoned? What about those who are struggling with social isolation, mental health, or age related health issues? If you tell me you're interacting with people left and right, what's the quality of that interaction like if you're stoned? If you're buzzing around town stoned, what about road safety? How's your Thai language study coming along? Kinda hard to concentrate when you're stoned, isn't it?

Why would I care how I'm portrayed?

We all came here for cheap Thai women, that's not a good portrayal!

I'm a medical user before bedtime, asleep 5 mins after smoking.

Social isolation while asleep, true for everyone.

If you have no need of it, then don't take it.

How easy is that?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, Gecko123 said:

It's more than a little disingenuous and intellectually dishonest to pretend that restricting marijuana usage to those over 20 years old will effectively manage underage misuse when Thailand is known for lax law enforcement and cultivation is permitted indiscriminately.

Reading this forum and the endless cheerleading for decriminalization by certain columnists, you would think there is universal support in the expat community for these proposals, which is far from the case.

I, for one, still believe that decriminalization is a step backwards for Thailand's social and educational development as well as for road safety, and that the encouragement of cannabis tourism is an abomination and scourge driven far more by avarice than any so-called enlightened forward thinking. It is my belief that these reforms will ultimately be repealed because of the weakening effect they have on the social fabric and Thai core values.

Those most strongly opposed to the easing of restrictions on cannabis use are the Thai producers/importers of alcohol and cigarettes who care very little about the social fabric and Thai core values. Your comments are, to put it mildly, naive.

Edited by Thingamabob
One letter corrected.
  • Thumbs Up 1