Python in my yard

Sheryl

Just found this in my front yard. No sign of the beast itself but as it is daytime and hot, probably hiding and  sleeping somewhere.

i am very worried abour my cats  2 of which live outside. The cats have pretty much already  eaten every mouse and lizard in the vicinity  making them about the only python meal around  .

Any tips on how to locate it? I assume if I find it I can call someone to remove it. 

And any suggestions on how to  deter it from entering the yard?

20230321_113617.thumb.jpg.c4bddaa8165025ca76e110f9754e9faa.jpg

• Like 2

Our village has it's designated snake charmer. One mention of a possible snake and he's round like a shot. Seems to be good at it too. If there's a snake, he'll find it.

Perhaps your neighbourhood has someone similar?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, the Village Head will have the number of the local snake / monitor/ crocodile / insect / elephant wrangler.

I appear to be the head pump room cockroach wrangler at the moment and is already a wrangle to far for my neck that seems to be made of balsa wood every time there's a runner ????  

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

That does not look like a Python skin , there's no pattern on it ,If it

was , it would have most likely eaten your cats by now ,

regards Worgeordie

It looks exactly like a shed python skin.

And no other snake would be this large.

I don't think I can call on local snake catchers until/unless I locate it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

It looks exactly like a shed python skin.

And no other snake would be this large.

I don't think I can call on local snake catchers until/unless I locate it. 

I used to have a Burmese python and when it shed the skin had faint pattern ,the snake

you think you have would be a Reticulated Python ,much more common ,and even more

intensely marked ,the portion of skin in photo is not that large ,could be large rat snake,

Cobra , maybe keep your cats inside for a couple of days till it moves on, 

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I used to have a Burmese python and when it shed the skin had faint pattern ,the snake

you think you have would be a Reticulated Python ,much more common ,and even more

intensely marked ,the portion of skin in photo is not that large ,could be large rat snake,

Cobra , maybe keep your cats inside for a couple of days till it moves on, 

regards worgeordie

It has a clear pattern on it. And is 8 cm in width. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

8 cm in width is not a large snake ,it equates to  about circumference of my thumb ,

far to small to eat a cat.

regards worgeordie 

8 cm  measuring across, not circumference!

About the size of my thigh

Definitely large enough to swallow a full grown cat

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Facebore group - Snakes of Bangkok Admin suggest it's an Oriental Rat Snake (Ptyas mucosa) so harmless to anything bigger than a rat.

Thanks, I saw that.

And I considered rat snake especially as there was also a small one recently in the yard.

But:

1.  Rat snakes while they can grow quite long, are usually thin. This thing is quite wide.

2. I can't see what would prevent a rat snake, were one to be that largem from swallowing a cat. They are harmless to people but eat all sorts of things, basically anything of a suitable size. And the snake that shed this skin, could definiteley swallow my cats (or at least the 2 smaller of them...one is a bit fat).

• Like 2

I have no snake deterrent suggestions per say except for keeping the area around and inside the house as clear and free of hidey holes as possible. That guy hopefully isn't big enough to overwhelm a grown cat and hopefully he just moves on. Being pretty rodent free does provide its own protection so far our outdoor cats have done surprisingly okay even though I saw a huge (maybe 12 foot) King cobra crossing the road nearby here just a week ago! The dry season also means snakes will go in search of water so keep in mind that if there are no natural sources nearby any buckets or reservoirs can become attractive. Good luck!

• Like 2

Sheryl, time for me to pay back your helpfulness in the past towards me..... This is for sure a oriental rat snake skin.. So dont worry, only problem for you will be that your cats will have a healthy competition about the next meal I guess....

Edited by glegolo18
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Lazada has snake repellent for sale.  i don't know if it is effective.  I've been told the yellow sulfer powder repels snakes too.  I've placed some in my yard before but again no idea if it actually does anything.