Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Python in my yard

Sheryl

4 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

If you have kittens (the cats babys) then it might be a small problem..... But adult cats, nah just forget it.....

Reticulated pythons can eat quite a range of small mammals. Even sometimes deer. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Update: the snake was sighted last night.

Python as originally suspected.

received_711079917424710.jpeg.d50fbdf42b37608b34f703ff8242ee32.jpeg

It was moving quite slowly and belly seems to have a bulge  so I am wondering if this suggests it's had a recent meal?

All cats currently accounted for.... 

Yes but this Python did NOT own that skin you originally published in this thread...

That skin belonged to a Rat snake....

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

Yes but this Python did NOT own that skin you originally published in this thread...

That skin belonged to a Rat snake....

From pictures I have seen of python skin, looks exactly like what I found in my garden.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

From pictures I have seen of python skin, looks exactly like what I found in my garden.

Did you post the skin on a snake group page at facebook? In minutes you will have an answer of id, and also if you need a phone number to someone in your area who will remove it for you.

The contact numbers is listed on the local snake pages, so not even necessary to make a post.

Edited by Hummin

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Did you post the skin on a snake group page at facebook? In minutes you will have an answer of id, and also if you need a phone number to someone in your area who will remove it for you.

The contact numbers is listed on the local snake pages, so not even necessary to make a post.

As the snake was most recently (last night) seen slipping into  nearby dense forest, no one is going to find and remove it from there.  Of course if I find it in my yard I'll call then for removal. 

Another board member apparently posted pic of the skin and was told rat snake but seemed way to large in circumference for that to me.

It seems unlikely (though of course not impossible) that the skin and then  python sighting nearby  are  unrelated.  

And if they are (unrelated) that just means 2 large snakes that eat small mammals is about rather than 1. ????

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As the snake was most recently (last night) seen slipping into  nearby dense forest, no one is going to find and remove it from there.  Of course if I find it in my yard I'll call then for removal. 

Another board member apparently posted pic of the skin and was told rat snake but seemed way to large in circumference for that to me.

It seems unlikely (though of course not impossible) that the skin and then  python sighting nearby  are  unrelated.  

And if they are (unrelated) that just means 2 large snakes that eat small mammals is about rather than 1. ????

A rat snake can not eat cats, and it needs to be a quite sized python to. Python mostly eat kittens, not grown cats who are quite alerted to animals who try to pray on them.

Snake skin can in most cases looks bigger than it really is.

"These skins will stretch up to forty percent, and the snake skins which are found are larger than the actual snake and are not a good indication of the size of the snake"

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Snake skin can in most cases looks bigger than it really is.

"These skins will stretch up to forty percent, and the snake skins which are found are larger than the actual snake and are not a good indication of the size of the snake"

In that case maybe skin was from an  unrelated rat snake.

But as shown in picture from last night then there is also a python about. 

Two  of the cats are pretty small. They all like to catch snakes though I can't say what they'd do confronted with a really big one.  

This python is almost the length of a 2 lane (rural) road. So at least 5 meters which is  definitely a large python.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In that case maybe skin was from an  unrelated rat snake.

But as shown in picture from last night then there is also a python about. 

Two  of the cats are pretty small. They all like to catch snakes though I can't say what they'd do confronted with a really big one.  

This python is almost the length of a 2 lane (rural) road. So at least 5 meters which is  definitely a large python.

I would for sure talk to a local snake catcher from the local forum who would love to catch it and replace it somewhere else and be ready for your call next time you observe it. 

12 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I would for sure talk to a local snake catcher from the local forum who would love to catch it and replace it somewhere else and be ready for your call next time you observe it. 

What forum do you refer to?

No other farangs anywhere near where I live (hardly any in the whole province) and local Thais not about to enter dense forest gulch to look for a snake.  It's almost knee deep in dead leaves and underbrush there, way too much risk of disturbing other and venomous snakes. And hard to get a foot hold.  Perfect spot for large snake to hang out undisturbed but would take a pretty unusual human to want to go into it. 

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What forum do you refer to?

No other farangs anywhere near where I live (hardly any in the whole province) and local Thais not about to enter dense forest gulch to look for a snake.  It's almost knee deep in dead leaves and underbrush there, way too much risk of disturbing other and venomous snakes. And hard to get a foot hold. 

Facebook groups

With more, Pattaya have also I think. 

Screenshot_2023-04-03-10-37-03-29_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks but I do not live in or near any of those locations. 

At least they might know someone in you area if you ask a moderator. It is a small community where most know each other or someone who can point you in the right direction 

The local fire department?

Edited by Hummin
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

At least they might know someone in you area if you ask a moderator. It is a small community where most know each other or someone who can point you in the right direction 

The local fire department?

Fire department does not do this. There are local snake catchers but snake needs to be in house or yard, they don't go off in the forest looking for them, to Thai way of thinking that makes no sense.

Meanwhile Snakes of Issan forum confirmed it is Python but not reticulated - Burmese. Which is I think worse in terms of potential cat consumption. Many, many accounts of Burmese pythons eating dogs and cats and other mammals.

They also confirm the bulge in lower part of body indicates recent meal, which is good in that likely a while before it seeks its next meal (not so good for whatever it ate, of course. It was coming from a spot where a pack of small street dogs hang out. Though also plenty of chickens about).

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Fire department does not do this. There are local snake catchers but snake needs to be in house or yard, they don't go off in the forest looking for them, to Thai way of thinking that makes no sense

I'm informed it is in fact illegal.

Burmese pythons are a protected species and illegal to catch or move them in the wild. 

On 4/5/2023 at 9:18 AM, watchcat said:

But the OP is worried about her cats (as would I) and couldn't give a hoot about lottery numbers.  I'd by a nice looking machete and try to use it.

This is a stupid and completely ignorant comment. Grow up and try to adapt to way of life here in Thailand, if you even living here, that is....

• Thanks 1