Savannakhet Multi Entry Non-O Visa having Thai wife, the facts..

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

@transam I used to ride my bike up from the Deep South every year, one year I hit bad weather/ spent an extra day with mechanical issues and ended up at the consulate on Friday morning - If you think Tue/Wed will be the best, try a Friday, I was the only westerner in the queue, this is when Laos nationals apply - I dropped off my passport and returned a week later to pick up the visa.

It is OK for those who want to travel around LOS for a few days, me, I want to escape as soon as possible.....????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

It is OK for those who want to travel around LOS for a few days, me, I want to escape as soon as possible.....????

Believe! Well before Covid, I arrived at Mukdahan on Saturday morning, spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday Waiting until Monday morning, that was a looooooong wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:31 AM, brianthainess said:

I have never known any changes in docs needed for at least 10yrs, except money in the bank changes. all forms i fill out in their office with their pens, the photo shop nearby knows what photos are needed. what really annoys me are people who come in without the correct docs. then argue with the IO who then hands them the list of required Docs. pointing them out extending my wait at the office bcoz of them. 

I don't see how that's in any way relevant to my experiences unless of course you are calling me a liar? If you have been in Thailand for 10+ years I cannot believe that you don't know different immigration offices operate in different ways. Or perhaps you are just being obtuse for the sake of it.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/27/2023 at 5:56 PM, transam said:

Have you something against folk who are sensible enough to take precautions for any eventuality....?

Oh, I did return it to Mrs.T......????

I am confused by the whole thread to be honest.

If you are married to a Thai I thought there was no reason to do visa runs?

learn something everyday.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Goat said:

I am confused by the whole thread to be honest.

If you are married to a Thai I thought there was no reason to do visa runs?

learn something everyday.

Indeed, it seems you do, at least the forum is helping you out, well done. :clap2:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/22/2023 at 2:19 PM, Adumbration said:

Because he does not have 400K THB?

I used to slum it with visa's and I had more than 400K in the bank. Even today I can put 800K in my account. No way do I trust Thai banks or would give them more business than I could help.  200+ Bt to use my UK debit card to draw money from a Thai ATM, which I have never done even once, getting charged extra to draw my own money from my bank in another province. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:49 PM, biervoormij said:

Which immigration office did you find rude? Good to know which one to avoid.

No point. IO offices change their staff regularly, there are plenty of decent IO's as well as a$$holes.

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 11:56 AM, transam said:

Have you something against folk who are sensible enough to take precautions for any eventuality....?

Oh, I did return it to Mrs.T......????

It's often a good idea to cover your a$#@ and take things immigration might want.

One thing I take, which no one has mentioned, is a copy of my passport for me. With my passport being held at the consulate all day and overnight, it's good to have in my pocket. I guess a pink ID card would work as well.

• Thanks 1

I've always had a trouble free visit to Savannakhet too.

My only concern is your mention of "hundreds" of Russians. Why are they all getting their tourist visas there?

Normally, whenever I've been to Savannakhet, I've never had to wait in line long. When I go there again later this year, I hope I won't have to wait in line for 2 hours. 

4 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I've always had a trouble free visit to Savannakhet too.

My only concern is your mention of "hundreds" of Russians. Why are they all getting their tourist visas there?

Normally, whenever I've been to Savannakhet, I've never had to wait in line long. When I go there again later this year, I hope I won't have to wait in line for 2 hours. 

Don't go on a Monday, Tuesday/Wednesday are favourite...????

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, NoshowJones said:

I used to slum it with visa's and I had more than 400K in the bank. Even today I can put 800K in my account. No way do I trust Thai banks or would give them more business than I could help.  200+ Bt to use my UK debit card to draw money from a Thai ATM, which I have never done even once, getting charged extra to draw my own money from my bank in another province. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

What do you mean 'No way do I trust Thai banks'? What do you think they are going to do with your money? Most people who make statements like this don't actually have any money to deposit here.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

What do you mean 'No way do I trust Thai banks'? What do you think they are going to do with your money? 

Have it stolen by an employee of the bank, as has happened on numerous occasions in the past.

I don't trust Thai banks either. That's why I keep my ฿800,000 for my Non-Imm O Retirement extensions in my Australian bank.

Much safer. 

Also pays much better interest

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

What do you mean 'No way do I trust Thai banks'? What do you think they are going to do with your money? Most people who make statements like this don't actually have any money to deposit here.

Read my post again and see the reasons why, another thing, I mislaid my debit card earlier this year and my Bangkok bank charged me 500 Bt to replace it, also the time before that when I renewed my debit card it had a few hundred Baht in it for use on the BTS, they did not replace it on my new debit card, they just kept it.

I can afford the money in the bank for the retirement extensions, but I keep the bulk of my savings in my UK bank and gold in a safe place.  

"Most people who make statements like this don't actually have any money to deposit here."

I am not one of your most people, so don't blether about what you know nothing about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2023 at 1:15 PM, transam said:

Mine is not that far, hidden away on the river, American, Mexican and Indian food menu, can't get much better than that.....:licklips:

I can't believe people come on here to waste theirs and everybody else's time by arguing and nit-picking, it's pathetic.

Anyhow, transam, thanks for your report, it's always handy to get up-to-date info for those of us who need it, we're appreciative of your OP!

Now, please PM me the name of that hotel you stay at with the ...Indian food menu, I'm going in a couple of days and fancy a change from the night market area, despite that being a nice area to enjoy a cold one.

Thanks!