You should fast !

georgegeorgia

It's fantastic for you.  And our bodies are built for it.  Trust me, you are not starving yourself if you don't eat for a day, or most of a day.

Your testosterone and hgh levels also INCREASE while doing it.

However, in the beginning it's difficult, and we FEEL hungry (or at least our mouths do).  Why?  Because you've conditioned your body and mind that its gonna get X, y and z at certain times.

You can also condition it to absolutely not feel hungry after a little time of practicing it. 

Again, it's NOT easy in the beginning.  WE got that little devil on our shoulders that will tell you to go ahead, eat that, it's little.  Or eat that, we'll start for real tomorrow.

It's tough, I know.  I used to do it for quite awhile, and I'm trying to get myself back to it now because I just gained 7 kilo over the past month because I bought a sugar replacement supplement to put in my new BLEH protein shake I was trying....

that I thought was sugar free/calorie free and it ended up highly concentrated, meaning i was eating like two candy bars a day suddenly and not knowing it.

Check this guy out, he's got a ton of material on fasting, and is well respected, and a lot of short simple videos on it in YT:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

You don't have to worry about electrolytes etc at just 48 hours or 20 hours.

I prefer building myself to 19 hour fasts daily with 5 hour eating window in which I eat my first meal big and completely healthy...then I eat whatever I want after that for the rest of the night. (I like to eat from 6 to 10 so I can be social with others and drink).

It's also easier to not eat if you don't eat anything in the morning and kick off a certain gland I can't remember the name of.

Now, if you are doing 48 hour fasts...it's really only one day you don't eat.

For example:  Monday you start your fast...but you eat all you want until noon.  Start fast.
Tuesday:  Eat nothing (to me, this day is much easier than Monday.  My body has just turned off the desire to eat really.  But Monday I keep wanting to sneak a snack)
Wednesday:  Start eating again at noon.  Or maybe keep going if you are not hungry.

I"ve heard cocnut water is ok during coffee water fasts, and for electrolytes you may want to get ahold of some pink sea salt (not table salt).

Best of luck.  It does work if you go thru with it.

Fasting is amazing once you uncondition yourself from the bad habits (ease of access of bad, processed foods) everywhere all day everyday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

of course it's the excess fat causing the fat, so many Indians i see are overweight and it's not alcohol or rice, asian people have been slim for generations on rice but we've done that to death already, but don't promote ghee, you have a twisted understanding of nutrition

https://www.healthifyme.com/blog/benefits-of-ghee/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/12-causes-of-belly-fat-gain

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

It's fantastic for you.  And our bodies are built for it.  Trust me, you are not starving yourself if you don't eat for a day, or most of a day.

Your testosterone and hgh levels also INCREASE while doing it.

However, in the beginning it's difficult, and we FEEL hungry (or at least our mouths do).  Why?  Because you've conditioned your body and mind that its gonna get X, y and z at certain times.

You can also condition it to absolutely not feel hungry after a little time of practicing it. 

Again, it's NOT easy in the beginning.  WE got that little devil on our shoulders that will tell you to go ahead, eat that, it's little.  Or eat that, we'll start for real tomorrow.

It's tough, I know.  I used to do it for quite awhile, and I'm trying to get myself back to it now because I just gained 7 kilo over the past month because I bought a sugar replacement supplement to put in my new BLEH protein shake I was trying....

that I thought was sugar free/calorie free and it ended up highly concentrated, meaning i was eating like two candy bars a day suddenly and not knowing it.

Check this guy out, he's got a ton of material on fasting, and is well respected, and a lot of short simple videos on it in YT:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

You don't have to worry about electrolytes etc at just 48 hours or 20 hours.

I prefer building myself to 19 hour fasts daily with 5 hour eating window in which I eat my first meal big and completely healthy...then I eat whatever I want after that for the rest of the night. (I like to eat from 6 to 10 so I can be social with others and drink).

It's also easier to not eat if you don't eat anything in the morning and kick off a certain gland I can't remember the name of.

Now, if you are doing 48 hour fasts...it's really only one day you don't eat.

For example:  Monday you start your fast...but you eat all you want until noon.  Start fast.
Tuesday:  Eat nothing (to me, this day is much easier than Monday.  My body has just turned off the desire to eat really.  But Monday I keep wanting to sneak a snack)
Wednesday:  Start eating again at noon.  Or maybe keep going if you are not hungry.

I"ve heard cocnut water is ok during coffee water fasts, and for electrolytes you may want to get ahold of some pink sea salt (not table salt).

No, coconut water from fresh coconuts contains carbs (sugar) and will break a fast. 

https://www.verywellfit.com/coconut-water-nutrition-facts-calories-and-health-benefits-4110619

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

Best of luck.  It does work if you go thru with it.

Fasting is amazing once you uncondition yourself from the bad habits (ease of access of bad, processed foods) everywhere all day everyday.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bickering posts removed:

5. You will not use ASEAN NOW to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Topics or posts deemed to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or which deliberately distort information will be removed. In factual areas such as news forums and current affairs topics member content that is claimed or portrayed as a fact should be supported by a link to a relevant reputable source.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is that why most Indian people you see are overweight? often put down to too much ghee, or maybe you think it's the rice?

maybe not the rice.

but maybe not the ghee either.

maybe the naan bread?

lol. 

Edited by save the frogs

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

be specific? what exactly? 

there are healthy fats and unhealthy fats.

unhealthy fats cause all kinds of problems.

ghee is considered a healthy fat by all non-misinformation health folks.

if you don't eat ANY healthy fats, you will also have problems.

for instance, your testosterone levels will be low if you don't eat healthy fats. 

so just blaming weight gain on eating ghee is inaccurate. 

of course you can eat too much of the healthy fats. 

but i think very few people are getting too much of the healthy fats.

most people are probably not getting enough of the healthy fats and consuming too much of the crappy fats.

all foods in supermarkets use crappy fats and restaurants use crappy fats to save money. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

there are healthy fats and unhealthy fats.

unhealthy fats cause all kinds of problems.

ghee is considered a healthy fat by all non-misinformation health folks.

if you don't eat ANY healthy fats, you will also have problems.

for instance, your testosterone levels will be low if you don't eat healthy fats. 

so just blaming weight gain on eating ghee is inaccurate. 

of course you can eat too much of the healthy fats. 

but i think very few people are getting too much of the healthy fats.

most people are probably not getting enough of the healthy fats and consuming too much of the crappy fats.

all foods in supermarkets use crappy fats and restaurants use crappy fats to save money. 

it's likely a combination of many things including ghee which they seem to eat alot, maybe more fatty junk food too.

But generally on health matters so many people on this forum spout off about nutrition as if stating facts where in most cases doctors disagree and there's always opposing opinions. Some here think low carb is the only way and spout off about that, etc etc

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No, coconut water from fresh coconuts contains carbs (sugar) and will break a fast. 

https://www.verywellfit.com/coconut-water-nutrition-facts-calories-and-health-benefits-4110619

9g of carbs minus 2.6g of dietary fibre gives approximately 6g of sugar, in 240g (a cup) of coconut water. Sure, too much for keto fanatics, but less than 1/3 of the 20g some consider allowable per day.

coconut water nutrition https://g.co/kgs/XuTiY2

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Question: will drinking Gatorade Zero (sugar) stop autophagy?

It just has minerals in it, I think 

The jury is out on that. One theory is that the liver still responds to the sweetness and releases insulin. It's much safer to eat nothing sweet whether actual glucose or not. An exception is stevia which is a plant and not artificial. Most nutritionists recommend eating nothing processed. In other words, if it contains ingredients or comes in a package it's processed. There are some exceptions like canned fish but make sure they are only packed with olive oil or spring water. Eat raw foods. 

My mother is 94 and drinks like a fish still, a full bottle of wine every day. Her secret is to never eat any processed food. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bradiston said:

9g of carbs minus 2.6g of dietary fibre gives approximately 6g of sugar, in 240g (a cup) of coconut water. Sure, too much for keto fanatics, but less than 1/3 of the 20g some consider allowable per day.

coconut water nutrition https://g.co/kgs/XuTiY2

It should nevertheless break a fast. I know it's possible to eat very little carbs and still achieve ketosis which is the goal for intermittent fasting but it's better to exclude all carbs while IF. 

While coconut water is beneficial during eating windows, it’s not the best drink to have when you fast. Coconut water contains simple carbohydrates, which is why its consumption will break your fast. 

https://fulcompany.com/blogs/the-ful-scoop/drinks-for-intermittent-fasting#:~:text=While coconut water is beneficial,consumption will break your fast.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Sad 1

OP what ever you do make it something you can do and not feel miserable about it. My head Dr. 35 years ago said don’t push yourself to the point of giving up. An example was fried chicken if it’s something you like take off the skin and eat in moderation. 

I’m 182 cm 87 kg stopped drinking 1 year 3 months because it got boring after 48 years.. All the best to you and your health but don’t make it into a job you hate.. ease into it…

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I poach eggs in an aluminium cup, with steam. Wipe out the cup with a paper towel, good to go for tomorrow's breakfast. Olive oil spray.

So what's good for the other six breakfasts please?

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Try a fresh coconut

I prefer bottles of coconut water to fresh coconuts. It's much more convenient and has more potassium than a single coconut. 

Edit to add: Bottled coconut water (Cocomax) also has a bit of sodium in it. 

Edited by asf6

3 hours ago, asf6 said:

I prefer bottles of coconut water to fresh coconuts. It's much more convenient and has more potassium than a single coconut. 

Edit to add: Bottled coconut water (Cocomax) also has a bit of sodium in it. 

You can buy fresh coconut juice usually at a coconut stall in the market. Tepprasit, can.

8 hours ago, DJ54 said:

OP what ever you do make it something you can do and not feel miserable about it. My head Dr. 35 years ago said don’t push yourself to the point of giving up. An example was fried chicken if it’s something you like take off the skin and eat in moderation. 

I’m 182 cm 87 kg stopped drinking 1 year 3 months because it got boring after 48 years.. All the best to you and your health but don’t make it into a job you hate.. ease into it…

I have stopped alcohol entirely now. The buzz I get from it is not worth having to get up 5 or 6 times during the night for a pee, instead of 2-3 times.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

it's likely a combination of many things including ghee which they seem to eat alot, maybe more fatty junk food too.

yes, ok let's use logic instead of science.

since science is constantly contradicting itself.

fat indian people eat a lot of ghee, therefore ghee makes them fat.

but farang people do not eat a lot of ghee, therefore ghee makes them fat?

just messing with you a bit. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Poached eggs every morning.

How boring. What about muesli & plain yoghurt & dried fruit for a couple of those days, or porridge oats, or a couple of bananas in a smoothie using drinking yoghurt. And poached, boiled, omeletted eggs for a couple of days. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

How boring. What about muesli & plain yoghurt & dried fruit for a couple of those days, or porridge oats, or a couple of bananas in a smoothie using drinking yoghurt. And poached, boiled, omeletted eggs for a couple of days. 

It all depends on what you want to achieve. If drastically reducing your carb intake is a primary goal, none of your suggestions would help, except the eggs. It may seem counter intuitive to what is generally accepted as a "healthy" diet, but that's the way it is. Let's not argue about it. You can make your own totally acceptable choices depending on where you want to go with your diet.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I weigh myself every day or two. 

Don't need a scale, as the whole wall/closet doors are one giant mirror.   If that's not enough to tell me to ease off the pastries, then looking down and not being able to see my buddy should be a clue ????

• Haha 1